Crock pot

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Crock pot

Post by ousdahl »

Since beav just hooked one up, and since we still can’t bbq cuz of fire bans.

Anyone got some good recipes?

So far beav made dank pork green chili, pulled chicken tacos, and I made grandma’s pasta sauce.

Whaddya got?
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Crock pot

Post by jhawks99 »

I like stew cooked in a crockpot, but you have to brown the meat separately. I don't use them much at all.
Broham
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Right on.

Yeah, when I made the pasta sauce, I browned the sausage Nd garlic in a pan, then threw it with the rest in the crock pot for like 4 hours.

I also browned my Italian grandma’s secret ingredient:

pork!

I just threw a whole (browned) pork chop in there and it takes things to another level.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:04 pm Since beav just hooked one up, and since we still can’t bbq cuz of fire bans.

Anyone got some good recipes?

So far beav made dank pork green chili, pulled chicken tacos, and I made grandma’s pasta sauce.

Whaddya got?
two chicken breasts
one block of cream cheese
one large can of diced green chilis
(load in crock pot in that order)

cook on low setting all day, then shred/mix with a couple of forks

eat by itself, spread on toast or crackers, or as a tortilla filling
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Shepherds pie.
Like 99 said, brown the ground beef before hand.

Pot roast of course.
Chili.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I think most crock pots today cook too hot. I get better results from my super-heavy dutch oven.
Broham
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

orly?

I thought the same thing after beav has his chili on “low,” and after a couple hours it was boiling pretty good.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I have one of these. It's like 30 years old, so it's not as pretty but my grand kids can use it if they want.

Broham
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Yeah, after several tough crock pot cooked pot roasts, I started making them in my dutch oven and never looked back. So much better for slow cooking.

If you insist on cooking something in a countertop appliance I'd suggest a pressure cooker over a crock pot. I have a ninja foodi and it's allsome, you can also use it as an air fryer and as a crock pot. It's my favorite kitchen appliance.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I wonder if you could sous vide something like chili. It won't reduce so it may end up watery...
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Just because something can be done sous vide, doesn't mean it should. Same goes for pressure cooking. And I do each at least a couple times a week.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mjl wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:27 pm I wonder if you could sous vide something like chili. It won't reduce so it may end up watery...
You talking about putting raw ground beef in a vacuum bag with onions, beans, spices and such and then sous viding? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
Broham
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:42 pm
Mjl wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:27 pm I wonder if you could sous vide something like chili. It won't reduce so it may end up watery...
You talking about putting raw ground beef in a vacuum bag with onions, beans, spices and such and then sous viding? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
But why not? Just because it'll be watery? Chili with medium rare ground beef (assuming you do your own grinding so it's not hundreds of cows) sounds great.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

With you on that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Man, I haven’t made chili yet cuz beav won’t eat chili with beans in it.

Fuckin’ A.

Picky eaters are lame.

When I was like 10 I tried to convince everyone I was a picky eater, and asked my mom if I could just have peanut butter sammiches for every meal. My mom said, if you want to eat, you eat what I give you.

So much for that.

But I’m glad I didn’t end up a picky eater like beav. I’ll eat damn near anything except for certain tree nuts (allergy), and escargot. Sorry, tried it, I just don’t have a taste for snails.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

You are grown. Who cares what your roommate likes to eat. Do you guys cook dinner for each other every night?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:58 pm You are grown. Who cares what your roommate likes to eat. Do you guys cook dinner for each other every night?
Not to mention - chili is among the easiest thing to end up with leftovers of.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:56 pm Man, I haven’t made chili yet cuz beav won’t eat chili with beans in it.

Fuckin’ A.

Picky eaters are lame.

When I was like 10 I tried to convince everyone I was a picky eater, and asked my mom if I could just have peanut butter sammiches for every meal. My mom said, if you want to eat, you eat what I give you.

So much for that.

But I’m glad I didn’t end up a picky eater like beav. I’ll eat damn near anything except for certain tree nuts (allergy), and escargot. Sorry, tried it, I just don’t have a taste for snails.
No wonder you have skinny knees.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think it's cute that ous and beav coordinate on meal plans.
Bosom Buddies.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

pdub wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:56 pm
With you on that.
I'm going to have to try this.