Favorite Breakfast

Coffee talk.
Leawood

Re: Favorite Breakfast

Post by Leawood »

To me, hash browns are like pizza. Anything can be cured with runny yolks.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Hmmm.....this gives me an idea.

I make smashed potatoes with goat cheese, lemon basil flowers and green chili flakes.

What if I added eggs over easy and mashed those into the taters......
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:40 pm Hash browns done right are amazing. Sadly, they’re often done wrong.

Which, makes me wonder what if 99 has any hash brown tips?
I'm limiting this to just the shredded type. I don't even like the cubes.

The only real secret is patience. Don't eff with em. Potatoes, oil salt and time.
If you're shredding your own spuds, peel and grate on a knucklebuster or shred in a food processor.
It's imperative that you squeeze all the water out. Do this when the pan is hot and ready otherwise the potatoes will start to oxidize and turn brown, in a bad way.

I usually use frozen shredded hash brown cuz they're good and make much less of a mess.

I use a non-stick sauté pan with sloping sides.

Heat the pan empty over medium-high heat. Check it by touching the backs of your knuckles on the pan quickly. You want it to be good and hot. At this point, add the oil. I use canola because it has a high smoke point and neutral flavor. Soy, peanut, corn are all fine. Butter will burn unless you clarify it. Olive oil just ain't right for this.

Add the oil swirl it around the pan to coat everything, including about half way up the sides. Give it a good amount, you are making greasy 'browns. Then add the potatoes and let it sit. Don't mess with it. keep an eye on it, and add more oil if it starts to look like it's drying out. You can add some salt while they're cooking. I wait on the pepper because black pepper can burn.

You will see the underside of the edges start to brown. This is when it is time to flip. You can use a spatula but that usually tears it up, no biggie. It's still greasy hash browns. Another method is to slide it on to a plate, top with another plate, flip that over and slide it back into the pan. Or you can learn how to flip it in the pan.

Do it over the sink when you're learning, less mess. Be confident, see the front edge pulling back to the back of the pan and with a flick of the wrist, bingo. You can practice with some dried beans in the pan over a sink with the stopper in.

Once you have it flipped, add more oil around the edges and shake the pan to distribute the oil. Let it cook for a few minutes, this won't take as long as the first side. Salt it again. Once it's done, slide it out onto your plate. Serve with eggs, cured pig, B&Gs etc.

Do not add ketchup, that stuff is disgusting.
Broham
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Agree.

Easiest ways to screw up hashbrowns:

Too much moisture.

Oil is not hot enough.

Undersalted.

Ketchup.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I prefer peanut oil.

Whatever oil beav gets - vegetable oil? - tastes and smells weird to me.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:33 pm I prefer peanut oil.

Whatever oil beav gets - vegetable oil? - tastes and smells weird to me.
then it's probably rancid.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Some people say canola oil has a "fishy" smell. It kinda does, but not enough to bother me.
Broham
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:35 pm
Cascadia wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:40 pm Hash browns done right are amazing. Sadly, they’re often done wrong.

Which, makes me wonder what if 99 has any hash brown tips?
I'm limiting this to just the shredded type. I don't even like the cubes.

The only real secret is patience. Don't eff with em. Potatoes, oil salt and time.
If you're shredding your own spuds, peel and grate on a knucklebuster or shred in a food processor.
It's imperative that you squeeze all the water out. Do this when the pan is hot and ready otherwise the potatoes will start to oxidize and turn brown, in a bad way.

I usually use frozen shredded hash brown cuz they're good and make much less of a mess.

I use a non-stick sauté pan with sloping sides.

Heat the pan empty over medium-high heat. Check it by touching the backs of your knuckles on the pan quickly. You want it to be good and hot. At this point, add the oil. I use canola because it has a high smoke point and neutral flavor. Soy, peanut, corn are all fine. Butter will burn unless you clarify it. Olive oil just ain't right for this.

Add the oil swirl it around the pan to coat everything, including about half way up the sides. Give it a good amount, you are making greasy 'browns. Then add the potatoes and let it sit. Don't mess with it. keep an eye on it, and add more oil if it starts to look like it's drying out. You can add some salt while they're cooking. I wait on the pepper because black pepper can burn.

You will see the underside of the edges start to brown. This is when it is time to flip. You can use a spatula but that usually tears it up, no biggie. It's still greasy hash browns. Another method is to slide it on to a plate, top with another plate, flip that over and slide it back into the pan. Or you can learn how to flip it in the pan.

Do it over the sink when you're learning, less mess. Be confident, see the front edge pulling back to the back of the pan and with a flick of the wrist, bingo. You can practice with some dried beans in the pan over a sink with the stopper in.

Once you have it flipped, add more oil around the edges and shake the pan to distribute the oil. Let it cook for a few minutes, this won't take as long as the first side. Salt it again. Once it's done, slide it out onto your plate. Serve with eggs, cured pig, B&Gs etc.

Do not add ketchup, that stuff is disgusting.
Thank you!
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

....and now my mouth is watering.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sounds great.
With ketchup.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

"Catsup"
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I've been trying to love runny egg yolks. So far I've failed. With the exception of bibimbap, chilaquiles and steak tartare.
Broham
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I gotta say though, there are some nicely cooked egges in that vid.
Broham
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i do runny eggs for eggs in a basket and huevos rancheros...otherwise i go fully cooked

i’ve had them runny in ramen noodle dishes, which was pretty good