Site Admin

Re: Dog sitting

Post by pdub »

Finally we know who let the dogs out.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

You back with your crazy, dog ignoring rommie? You should break up with her.
Broham
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i thought the thread title was “dog shitting”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So the dog has only been shitting in the woods back behind the place.

She’s a blue heeler/Aussie mix, and is one of the better trained dogs I’ve ever been around...unless there’s other dogs.

She’s a sweetheart to humans, but get another canine within 100 yards and she looses her mind.
Deleted User 89

our blue flips her shit at other dogs that bark at her from behind fences

otherwise, she’s pretty good...on-leash walking in the hood, or off-leash at the dog park or up in the canyons
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dang.

This one’s nuts.

Like, I’m explicitly instructed to take her walking through the woods and on a particularly low-use forest road, so as to avoid even the chance of encountering another dog.

The owners said at the farm they got her as a pup, the father dog had to be constantly kenneled when not working cuz he tried to kill every other living creature, but was still kept around cuz he was an elite cattle dog. They admit that in hindsight that should have been a red flag for choosing a house pet.

It’s a bummer, cuz this dog would otherwise be a killer wingman on the brewery patios.
Deleted User 89

shock/vibrate e-collars work great

we don’t ever use the shock function. dog gets a warning beep along with a verbal command, then a vibration if she doesn’t listen

good ones allow you to adjust the strength of the shock and the vibration
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Nice. I dunno how the owners feel about that.

I’ve just been giving the dog the short leash treatment, as in, if she freaks out barking at another dog, I just pull the leash progressively shorter and shorter until next thing you know, she’s in the doghouse with Lagerald.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But for real I pull the leash so short until I’m lifting her by the harness and her feet aren’t even touching the ground, so she goes from aggressive barking to wtf I’m not even touching the ground no more
shindig

Post by shindig »

Sounds like the owner didn't socialize her correctly around other dogs when she was a pup.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Perhaps.

It’s funny, cuz it’s otherwise one of the best trained dogs I’ve ever been around.

They say they’ve had her to all sorts of obedience training and stuff, but she’s just always been an asshole to other dogs, like her dad.

Nature and nurture, I suppose.

Despite her attitude around other dogs, I’m surprised how well a dog bred to work on a farm does as an apartment pet.