COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 310

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Covid cases up %14 among children over the last 2 weeks.

Coincidence that in the last month many places have gone back to in person learning? I think not.

No thanks. I will teach my kids at home until this is over.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I know a doctor who has a kid that goes to "day care".
They have had parents who have tested positive, kids who have tested positive, day care workers who have tested positive. Yet, they remain open and keep plugging along. How? Why? Why are they allowed to continue to operate but businesses all across this state (Illinois) are now being shut down or at least have extremely debilitating rules, requirements, regulations in place?
Some might argue day care is "essential". Is it really?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:55 am No thanks. I will teach my kids at home until this is over.
Oh man.
Deleted User 310

pdub wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:06 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:55 am No thanks. I will teach my kids at home until this is over.
Oh man.
🤣🤣🤣 i know right!

It is mostly my wife and mom (thankfully).
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Grandma wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:02 am I know a doctor who has a kid that goes to "day care".
They have had parents who have tested positive, kids who have tested positive, day care workers who have tested positive. Yet, they remain open and keep plugging along. How? Why? Why are they allowed to continue to operate but businesses all across this state (Illinois) are now being shut down or at least have extremely debilitating rules, requirements, regulations in place?
Yes
Deleted User 310

Grandma wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:02 am I know a doctor who has a kid that goes to "day care".
It is essential for some parents because they can't stand actually paying attention to their children it seems like. Too much work.

I have a friend whose wife isn't even working and they hired a nanny becuase "taking care of 2 kids all day is just too much"....i am thinking then why have 2 kids if it is too much work for you?

Now, not all parents are like that. Some don't have a choice but to work in person. Although, my wife has reduced her hours and does virtual only therapy sessions...we just make do with less money for now. Others don't have tjat luxury.
Deleted User 289

Twice a year we have "preventative maintenance" in my building. Usually in the Spring and Fall.
Maintenance guys change heating and a.c. filters, check smoke alarms, make sure water sources are operating correctly, etc.
Back in April when we had the Spring "preventive maintenance" - residents were told that the maintenance person entering their apartment would be wearing a mask. Regardless if a resident was home or not. They "required" that if residents were in their apartments during the visits, that they wear masks too.
This Fall, ZERO mention of masks for both the maintenance people and the residents.
Off the subject for a second - I had to bring a proof of renters insurance to management yesterday.
Back on subject - I mentioned to the management woman that they didn't say anything about mask wearing in the emails and the "fliers" they sent to the residents in regards to the "preventive maintenance" visits.
She basically rolled her eyes at me and didn't say a word. I shook my head and walked away.
Deleted User 310

Mjl wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:22 am
Yes
If employers would take on more of the burden and allow reduced hours and working from home then kids wouldn't have to be rushed back to schools and daycares before it is safe.

But we know that won't happen.

Profits over people is what it feels like to me.
Deleted User 310

Grandma wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:30 am Twice a year we have "preventative maintenance" in my building. Usually in the Spring and Fall.
Maintenance guys change heating and a.c. filters, check smoke alarms, make sure water sources are operating correctly, etc.
Back in April when we had the Spring "preventive maintenance" - residents were told that the maintenance person entering their apartment would be wearing a mask. Regardless if a resident was home or not. They "required" that if residents were in their apartments during the visits, that they wear masks too.
This Fall, ZERO mention of masks for both the maintenance people and the residents.
Off the subject for a second - I had to bring a proof of renters insurance to management yesterday.
Back on subject - I mentioned to the management woman that they didn't say anything about mask wearing in the emails and the "fliers" they sent to the residents in regards to the "preventive maintenance" visits.
She basically rolled her eyes at me and didn't say a word. I shook my head and walked away.
Not related but same line of thinking...

My daughter's school shut down in march-ish maybe earlier (can't remember at this point tbh).....now they are back in school (not her)....yet the covid situation is significantly worse in this area now. Makes a lot of sense!
Deleted User 289

Yes
All depends on how you want to define "essential" but I respectfully disagree.
I don't feel someone's kid/s HAVE to be in daycare. Kids (and parents) could survive without daycare and there are other options if daycare didn't exist.
Deleted User 289

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:35 am
Grandma wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:30 am Twice a year we have "preventative maintenance" in my building. Usually in the Spring and Fall.
Not related but same line of thinking...

My daughter's school shut down in march-ish maybe earlier (can't remember at this point tbh).....now they are back in school (not her)....yet the covid situation is significantly worse in this area now. Makes a lot of sense!
I posted about my co-worker who lives in Indiana. They waited to re-open schools and then did as such when there was a HUGE spike in cases in the state. Huh?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Grandma wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:35 am
Yes
I don't feel someone's kid/s HAVE to be in daycare. Kids (and parents) could survive without daycare and there are other options if daycare didn't exist.
Some people have jobs that require them to work in-person so not sure what it is you think they would do with their children.
Deleted User 310

twocoach wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:40 pm

Yes
Some people have jobs that require them to work in-person so not sure what it is you think they would do with their children.
I get it. For certain jobs childcare is required.

But there is always a choice, just depends which is most important. Keeping a certain job or having a job that is better suited for having a family to care for in this strange time.

My wife's employer tried to send her back to in person appointments....she said no and they were welcome to fire her or find someone else.....they then allowed her to continue with virtual appointments....needless to say their choice of profits over the safety of their employees will result in my wife quitting completely once she finds something better, which she is actively seeking.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:07 pm

I get it. For certain jobs childcare is required.

But there is always a choice, just depends which is most important. Keeping a certain job or having a job that is better suited for having a family to care for in this strange time.

My wife's employer tried to send her back to in person appointments....she said no and they were welcome to fire her or find someone else.....they then allowed her to continue with virtual appointments....needless to say their choice of profits over the safety of their employees will result in my wife quitting completely once she finds something better, which she is actively seeking.
Someone working at a meat packing plant or the grocery store doesn't have these options. You either show up and work or you lose your job.

Daycare is absolutely an essential job. If you cannot do it yourself, it must be done by someone else. You can't just leave your kid home unattended.
Deleted User 310

Exactly. I agree. For some jobs some form of childcare is needed.

Although my guess is many working at grocery stores and meatpacking plants aren't paying for expensive daycares. They probably rely on family for help with their children (when school isn't in session).
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:17 pm Exactly. I agree. For some jobs some form of childcare is needed.

Although my guess is many working at grocery stores and meatpacking plants aren't paying for expensive daycares. They probably rely on family for help with their children (when school isn't in session).
Or some lady down the street that runs a daycare out of their house for a handful of kids. There's a million flavors of daycare out there.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Just got a notification from our school superintendent.

Our school district has approximately 6,300 pre-k through 12th graders and 1,127 teachers and staff. We have had just 34 students and 35 staff test positive for COVID. So far, there have been zero cases confirmed to have been passed at school. All 69 cases have been confirmed through contact tracing to have originated outside of school.
Deleted User 310

twocoach wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:20 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:17 pm Exactly. I agree. For some jobs some form of childcare is needed.

Or some lady down the street that runs a daycare out of their house for a handful of kids. There's a million flavors of daycare out there.
Those never really shutdown though (because it is impossible to regulate some lady getting checks from 3 or 4 families a week)...and those are much safer than daycares with 50+ kids.
Deleted User 310

twocoach wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:24 pm So far, there have been zero cases confirmed to have been passed at school.
Just no real way to say that with any certainty unfortunately. Too many asymptomatic people that spread it and never know.
Deleted User 289

Yes
Well, here we go again. Define "daycare".

If a daycare "center" was not an option I would do my best to find a feasible solution.
Here are some possible choices. I have to assume at least one is a viable option.
1) Take your kid to work with you.
2) Ask a friend, neighbor, relative, baby sitter if they can take care of your kid/s.
3) Ask your church (house of worship) if you could bring my kid/s there.
4) Call a community center and see what if any option is available.
5) Bring your kid to Gutter's.