COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Mjl

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Mjl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:29 pm
twocoach wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:20 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:17 pm Exactly. I agree. For some jobs some form of childcare is needed.

Although my guess is many working at grocery stores and meatpacking plants aren't paying for expensive daycares. They probably rely on family for help with their children (when school isn't in session).
Or some lady down the street that runs a daycare out of their house for a handful of kids. There's a million flavors of daycare out there.
Those never really shutdown though (because it is impossible to regulate some lady getting checks from 3 or 4 families a week)...and those are much safer than daycares with 50+ kids.
That's not accurate
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Mjl wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:33 am
twocoach wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:20 pm
Or some lady down the street that runs a daycare out of their house for a handful of kids. There's a million flavors of daycare out there.
Those never really shutdown though (because it is impossible to regulate some lady getting checks from 3 or 4 families a week)...and those are much safer than daycares with 50+ kids.
That's not accurate
The safeness part of the shutting down part?

If they are less than 50 kids the daycares didn't shutdown in IL iirc. The daycare in 1 of our 2 major hospitals has been open the entire time.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:40 am

That's not accurate

If they are less than 50 kids the daycares didn't shutdown in IL iirc. The daycare in 1 of our 2 major hospitals has been open the entire time.
Yes they did. I am in IL. One of my kids goes to a small at-home daycare. It was shut down due to COVID for a couple months.
Deleted User 310

Mjl wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:55 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:40 am

That's not accurate

Yes they did. I am in IL. One of my kids goes to a small at-home daycare. It was shut down due to COVID for a couple months.
Could that be a "regional" thing? I know the state is split into regions now....it is entirely possible i am simply mistaken fwiw. My friend owns a daycare, but it has over 300 kids. They were closed, other than being allowed to continue care for essential healthcare workers children, but that was a very small amount of kids....i am assuming that is why the hospital daycare was open the entire time as well.

I know several families doing co-op "daycare"....3 or 4 families hire a nanny and send their kids there (to one of their houses) together several days a week.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Our daycare starting taking in school-age kids when schools shut down in the Spring.

It's like...guys, we're going the wrong direction here.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Deleted User 289

Deleted User 310

IHSA is going to defy the governors orders and play HS basketball this winter.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Covid would need a 90%+ death rate for me to wear the BioVyzr.
Deleted User 289

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:32 pm IHSA is going to defy the governors orders and play HS basketball this winter.
The IHSA isn't going to play basketball. HS kids might. :lol:
My guess is those who defy the Governor's "orders" will face some consequences.
As much as I typically defend the Governor, I am all for kids playing basketball - if they can do it in a "safe" manner.
I just don't see how they (IHSA - schools - players) can do it "safely" but if they can - fantastic.
Deleted User 289

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:26 am Covid would need a 90%+ death rate for me to wear the BioVyzr.
I can't afford one.
Thankfully?
Deleted User 310

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:26 am Covid would need a 90%+ death rate for me to wear the BioVyzr.
Yes. Give it to the people who have compromised immune systems, or the ones over 65+ and/or in nursing homes.
Deleted User 310

Grandma wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:52 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:32 pm IHSA is going to defy the governors orders and play HS basketball this winter.
As much as I typically defend the Governor, I am all for kids playing basketball - if they can do it in a "safe" manner.
I just don't see how they (IHSA - schools - players) can do it "safely" but if they can - fantastic.
I think they are going to wear masks while they play.
Deleted User 289

Citywide "ban" on in-door dining begins tomorrow.
I have very mixed feelings.
One thing I am not mixed on is that every day I see people attacking the Governor and calling him some pretty nasty names and yet not a single one of them attack/s those who are primarily responsible for the Governor feeling the need to institute a "shut down".
It's a pretty simple concept. Don't be an asshole, take the virus seriously, follow recommendations and guidelines that will help "curb" the spread, and then MAYBE the Governor wouldn't feel the need to do "asshole" things.
Deleted User 289

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:54 am
Ok. That's a good thing but......
Are they going to wear masks from the time they arrive at the "gym" to the time they leave the "gym"?
Are they going to lower their masks to drink water/gatorade?
Will they be wearing their masks at all times in the locker room?
Who is going to police the mask wearing?

Again, I am all for them playing - "safely" but who is the ultimate decider what is "safely" - or not?
Deleted User 310

Grandma wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:02 am Citywide "ban" on in-door dining begins tomorrow.
I have very mixed feelings.
One thing I am not mixed on is that every day I see people attacking the Governor and calling him some pretty nasty names and yet not a single one of them attack/s those who are primarily responsible for the Governor feeling the need to institute a "shut down".
It's a pretty simple concept. Don't be an asshole, take the virus seriously, follow recommendations and guidelines that will help "curb" the spread, and then MAYBE the Governor wouldn't feel the need to do "asshole" things.
I don't have mixed feelings. I wish they would do it in my "region" of the state too tbh. Bars and indoor dining at restaurants are among the most risky activities a person can do.
Deleted User 310

Grandma wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:09 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:54 am

Ok. That's a good thing but......
Are they going to wear masks from the time they arrive at the "gym" to the time they leave the "gym"?
Are they going to lower their masks to drink water/gatorade?
Will they be wearing their masks at all times in the locker room?
Who is going to police the mask wearing?

Again, I am all for them playing - "safely" but who is the ultimate decider what is "safely" - or not?
It just says at all times from what i have read.

I do not see how they can do it safely. The public city schools in my city are not even doing in person learning yet.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I coach a hockey team. Players/coaches/spectators have to wear a mask from the second they walk into the rink, right up until they walk out. Our temperature is taken as we walk in the door. Kids have to come dressed. We cannot enter the rink until 15 minutes prior. Spectators are limited to 2 per player. You must sign in at the door. Yes there is someone sitting at the door.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:44 pm Contact tracing has wrapped this guy up. Getting a test Monday morning. Good thing I have followed social distancing and wearing masks and hand hygiene.
Thankfully negative. Still quarantine until next week. No fun but just thankful I’m negative.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:32 am I coach a hockey team. Players/coaches/spectators have to wear a mask from the second they walk into the rink, right up until they walk out. Our temperature is taken as we walk in the door. Kids have to come dressed. We cannot enter the rink until 15 minutes prior. Spectators are limited to 2 per player. You must sign in at the door. Yes there is someone sitting at the door.
...all eminently-reasonable accommodations to be made in present circumstances.