The Empire is starting a marching band

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: The Empire is starting a marching band

Post by ousdahl »

How would a jazz-funk combo of sorts fit into the shenanigans? Maybe a set or two while the party favors get handed out?

I was talking to my buddy who I played with in HS. He’s a music teacher in Cali now. But we’ve wanted to get back together and play again. Think Miles meets Parliament, or something like that, just some grooves for the empire...
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:14 pm How would a jazz-funk combo of sorts fit into the shenanigans? Maybe a set or two while the party favors get handed out?

I was talking to my buddy who I played with in HS. He’s a music teacher in Cali now. But we’ve wanted to get back together and play again. Think Miles meets Parliament, or something like that, just some grooves for the empire...
Can you march and play at the same time?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jeez bro, what next, walk and chew gum?!

But yeah, I played quads in HS drumline

and for the record THAT is the reason I wasn’t starting quarterback...
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I played trumpet through college but I was also a jock at the same time. And that's why I'm not an orthopedic surgeon.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:14 pm How would a jazz-funk combo of sorts fit into the shenanigans? Maybe a set or two while the party favors get handed out?

I can supply a sax player and a bass player.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Whoa sweet, we got ourselves an ensemble!

Though should mention, “Miles meets Parliament” may be too ambitious a billing, considering we’ll prob just end up playing Weezer covers...
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Not with my daughters in the band. You are more likely to play Stevie Wonder and Stooges covers.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

say it ain’t so!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Actually those covers are cool too, I was just making a Weezer joke
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

One of the covers my youngest daughter's bands always seem to play.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

My youngest wore two tee shirts to grade school almost every day, one was a Stooges tee and the other a Jayhawk. The day after KU lost to Mizzou in football she decided to wear the Jayhawk tee. Most of the school, especially faculty were MU fans. As she walked down the hall a teacher stopped her and said, "you got a lotta nerve wearing that today". The 8 year old stuck out her chest and said, "I'm a Jayhawk and proud of it!". And 12 years later she was the drum major leading the band onto the field at Memorial Stadium with the same defiant sneer. I love that girl!
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

We met Ron and Virginia about three weeks ago out in the Empire. Their compound is about 45 minutes south of ours. We are hoping to find opportunities to collaborate with them. We have invited them to Solstice 2021.

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/se ... year-award
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Good news brothers and sisters, innocent bystanders and children of all ages!

It’s official! The folks at Upper Rio Grande Economic Development, Downtown Colorado Inc, and the Board of Trustees for New Japhyville have spoken; the people want a party and they got a grant to help pay for it.

So a party they shall have!

Solstice! It’s on bitches!

I had a kick off meeting last week with the new arts programming director for Continuum Partners out of Denver. Previously he had worked on Biennial of the Americas and spent the pandemic year in Peru. He is fired up about getting back in the saddle at The Frontier. We have met with Ron Rael, he of the Teeter Totter Wall, and he is interested in participating. I also had a meeting with the Town Manager and he has pledged some labor to help us move some shit around in our compound so we can make 2,000 sf available for the public collage making event. My Contractor, Joaquin de Intrépido, is putting together a squad of the best lettuce pickers in the SLV to crank up construction on Project Alluvium. Defixione is about to get indoor plumbing. We are gathering momentum, nothing can stop us now.

So mark you calendars for June 19th, 2021 for the First Annual Solstice event.

Defix and Annie Oakley and I will be there. I am working on getting that pussy DC out of his basement and into the sunlight so he can smoke a blunt with Ousdahl and Feral. Any members from this Kansas Crimson group that shows up will be invited backstage to the Spud Lounge for the afterparty. We will draw names out of hat to see who gets to share Big Blue for the night with Ousdahl.

And Wally….. you HAVE to be there! You know you want to meet everyone in person. You can get a direct flight from LA to the Springs, or you can fly a private jet directly into Leach Airport (FAA LID: 1V8) and walk to Solstice.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHV2Txq342o

turn it on and all the way up
turn it on
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I call big spoon on blue
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Partay! 🚀🤸🥳🍺🍾
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Wallbster, you can pm me for the gps coordinates. Same for anyone else, you know you all wanna meet Wally too. Once you get to that location you will have no problem finding the party.

There is a campground at Penitente Canyon that is close by and there is plenty of room to camp for free in the BLM land surrounding that. The nearest town with a hotel/motel is Monte Vista. Rooms get filled up that time of year so plan ahead. You can sleep in your car so long as you park in an alley. But the police will roust you if you try to park your car on Worth Street overnight.

The festivities will start about 10:00 AM on Saturday, if you show up the night before there will undoubtably be a pre-party in the Spud Lounge on Friday night. Look for lights and listen for music.

Years from now, you will be able to say you were at the first Solstice.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

why do i envision this sort of scenario when wally arrives at japhy’s coordinates

and i don’t think lobs would be comfortable camping anywhere associated with BLM
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

It looks a lot more like this. If you squint you can see the Spud Lounge and Defix's bat cave.

One and all will be welcome. You know you wanna meet Wally; and vice versa.