NBA Offseason

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: NBA Offseason

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:50 pm Haha true....but making the playoffs wouldn't be totally unrealistic with Westbrook. Graham is good off the ball. Maybe better than he is on the ball.
Overpaying players on the wrong side of their prime and squeaking into the playoffs to lose in the first round, and then those old player contracts sinking the franchise is just so Charlotte Hornets and it is why they almost always finish out of the playoffs.

Graham is definitely better on the ball, but sure, he'd play next to Westbrook rather than be relegated to the bench.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Has Graham played off the ball much in the league?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You got a 25 year old point who just averaged 7.5 assists in his 2nd year, shooting a higher 3 point percentage than Westbrook ever has in his life.

Leave Devonte Alone.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:20 pm Has Graham played off the ball much in the league?
Not really other than situationals during minutes when he and Rozier were both on court. The issue would be guarding big 2's, but I do think Graham and Westbrook could co-exist on the defensive end. I hate taking the ball out of Devonte's hands on the offensive end.

And, overall, I hate the idea, but the hedge here is that I also hate that Rozier and his contract are already on that team. Russ is certainly better than Rozier. The problem, though, is that all you do is just trade bad contracts and Russ has a 47 million dollar player option after the 21-22 season.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Holy schmokes that’s a big number for a cancer of a superstar on the wrong end of his prime
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

For what it's worth, I ventured to the Hornets fan/blog site and they generally hate the idea.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Would any fan base want him?

Besides the knicks, and maybe the Springfield Fighting Illys
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:21 pm You got a 25 year old point who just averaged 7.5 assists in his 2nd year, shooting a higher 3 point percentage than Westbrook ever has in his life.

Leave Devonte Alone.
And from what little I’ve seen of him play, it seems like many of those shots are long pull up 3s that are what would be called ill-advised for most players, except he makes them
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If Hornets can be free and clear of both Rozier and Westbrook after this season, then the idea has merit. Makes no sense otherwise.

If that were to happen, they'd be free of Rozier, Westbrook, and Batum's outrageous contracts and have $85 million in cap space give or take for the 21-22 season.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

I like Russ more than most. I love Devonte, but Russ is better than Devonte. They would be very good together. 2 guys that both can score and get lots of assists. He makes them better. If it is just Russ for Rozier and not much more then i think it is fine to do and makes them better. Especially if they can somehow get Batum out of there too in the deal.
Deleted User 310

Unless the goal is to tank for draft picks... Then Russ doesn't help....but if you spend the next 3 years sucking on purpose then Devonte is going to already be old (he turns 26 in Feb) and certainly not as cheap....so there is that. I also think a guy who plays as hard as Russ does would help some of their younger guys.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I also like Russ more than most, but this is not about whether or not Russ is better than Rozier.

Hornets should only suck on purpose in 20-21 given what I posted about their cap situation if they can unload Rozier.
Deleted User 310

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:49 pm I also like Russ more than most, but this is not about whether or not Russ is better than Rozier.

Hornets should only suck on purpose in 20-21 given what I posted about their cap situation if they can unload Rozier.
Is there anyone worth sucking for in particular?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

A 9th place trophy or back to back seasons of top 3 picks--I know which one is more worthwhile to me if I were trying to build a team in this league.

Plus, that 9th place is if it all goes well when there is plenty of evidence, some anecdotal, that Russell is cooked at this point. Guys that play like him really hit the wall about now--and, I'm a Russell guy! I know exactly why a guy like MJ can't not flirt with the idea.
Deleted User 310

Russell is not "cooked". He averaged 27pts/7ast/8rebs/1.5stl/36mpg last year. Yes and 4.5 turnovers.

He is far from cooked. Averaged a triple-double 3 years in a row prior to last year. He is still a top 25ish player in the league at worst.

But i guess i do get it...don't be too good if you can't win it all....i am just not sure that always pays off. Look at philly. They did it and still won't be able to win a title with their team. Plus, i am not sure MJ would deploy the tank for picks strategy. And if he was going to then he should have done it when he could get a Luca type player and i am not sure there is someone that caliber the next 2 or 3 years.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The point being is that Russ is the type of player that when they fall off, it's a cliff dive. Like Wade. And, you don't want to be the team that owes him a full $90m when that happens.

Let's also not act like you or I or anyone else knew Luka would be what he is. If Philly has shown anything, it's that you hit some and you miss some. Just like Cleveland. Or OKC. But, I'd rather take a few swings than be in NBA no man's land.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Westbrook is the classic example of hot potato
Deleted User 310

Speaking of...

For as much as some people hate him many of his teammates love him. Even harden referred to him as their leader and the heart and soul of their team last year.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Great!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

“Russell Westbrook Wants Out. Does Any NBA Team Want In?

After asking Oklahoma City to trade him last year, the former MVP wants Houston to do the same this offseason. Problem is, moving someone with his polarizing style of play and mammoth contract is easier said than done.”

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/11/1 ... rs-rockets