Site Admin

Re: NBA Offseason

Post by pdub »

Ah.
My B.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:20 pm Well, then what’s the Finals MVP award for?
It is for the finals.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:02 am I think Russ is like most athletes where their strongest mental attributes will help and hurt them.

We give LeBron a lot of shit on this board for basically being the opposite kind of guy of Russ.
Speaking only for myself here. I give Russ and LeBron shit for the exact same reasons. I think both are massive pseudointellectual douchebags. Their respective fanbois are the worst. Being good at basketball doesn't make you an intelligent person. And, LeBron in particular, is not a smart human being.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Similarly, I think A-Rod, Barry Bonds, Bryson DeChambeau, Patrick Reed, Curt Schilling, Jose Altuve, Bryce Harper, Kris Bryant, Trevor Bauer, Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez, James Harden, Paul George, Chris Paul, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Durant, Antonio Brown, Le'Veon Bell, Tom Brady, Baker Mayfield, Russell Wilson and many more are fucking douchebags.

I don't feel the need to constantly praise these people every time they do their job.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Well I do think you are expanding quite a bit on my post.

I like to think that I am, at best, indifferent on the type of people athletes and celebs are. Unless they like kill someone.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

And that fair. It's not that I 'care' per se, but I do think of them as more than just athletes and celebs. I certainly don't follow the "shut up and dribble" crowd.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

their opinions outside of sport, while valid, are really no more so than any joe shmoe off the street

it’s always been odd to me the pedestal “celebrities” are put on as some sort of role model, while doctors, scientists and the like...ya know, the folks that actually leave serious, long-lasting impressions on society...are afterthoughts at best

i’ve referred to it before as the kardashian effect
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:27 pm their opinions outside of sport, while valid, are really no more so than any joe shmoe off the street

it’s always been odd to me the pedestal “celebrities” are put on as some sort of role model, while doctors, scientists and the like...ya know, the folks that actually leave serious, long-lasting impressions on society...are afterthoughts at best

i’ve referred to it before as the kardashian effect
100 % Agree
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's not odd at all. It's a platform and an audience. Why shouldn't they use it? Everyone here would do the same.

And, of course there will be people that listen. It's human nature, and it started well before the Kardashians ("Republicans buy sneakers too!").

We're no different trad. I bet you can name most of the roster for the 08 Jayhawks, but go ahead and list the lead researchers at Pfizer trialing the COVID vaccine. It's not some black eye on society to acknowledge the household name relevance of entertainment.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

acknowledging their relevance to pop culture =\= putting higher value in their opinions

being good at a sport, or being gifted with physical attractiveness shouldn’t make someone’s opinion more valuable, unless they just do happen to have relevant experience in the topics for which they are offering their opinion

and no, i don’t know who works at pfizer. but i can tell you who watson and crick are, and Rosalind Franklin...whose work made possible what’s being done at pfizer
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

OFF THE COURT athletes do some really good stuff for others and society. I think most of them earn the right to speak their minds due to that alone.
I don't feel athletes should be necessarily be considered heroes for what they do on the court, field, ice, but I do feel a lot of them should be recognized and admired for being heroes off the court, field, ice, whatever.

I know they are pretty much made to do it but to me - this (see link below) is hero stuff.
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2013/dec/ ... needy-fam/
Most of us admire them for doing it - but that's about it. One of the players dunks a basketball in Allen,16,000 people get semi orgasmic and a shit load more get off on it who see it happen on TV.

We have the Cascadias of the world who choose to belittle an athlete (or anyone else) and discount what they have to say because the athlete/person isn't smart as smart as they are. They just as easily can give that person praise - for being a good person.
Last edited by Deleted User 289 on Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 310

Cascadia calling other people douchebags is hilarious.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:15 pm acknowledging their relevance to pop culture =\= putting higher value in their opinions

being good at a sport, or being gifted with physical attractiveness shouldn’t make someone’s opinion more valuable, unless they just do happen to have relevant experience in the topics for which they are offering their opinion
That's fine, and I completely agree, which is why I posted that I try to just not care one way or the other what someone like athletes do outside of their sport. Steve Kerr will say some stuff that I'm totally down with and then he will have a fuck you moment with his thoughts on China and I have to remind myself, this is just some dude's opinion.

But, your original post talked about role models, which, on a societal scale is so closely tied to relevance. Therefore, because celebrity status is almost only about relevance, I understand why people intertwine role model, value, and celebrity and I don't think it's worth anyone's disdain.
Deleted User 289

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:32 pm Cascadia calling other people douchebags is hilarious.
How's this? I don't really believe that Cascadia is a douchebag. He's probably a pretty good guy.
I could be way off but my guess is he feels he's nothing more than just another person with an opinion if he doesn't act like a douchebag on here - so perhaps that's the reason why he occasionally chooses to take on that persona.
Deleted User 289

Here is where I prove I am the biggest flip flopper in the world. I made my previous posts but now I am going to say there is a fine line. Most of the time I don't have to listen to or read what a celebrity/athlete has to say if I choose not to.
Which leads me to when musicians decide to get all political during their performances.
90% of the time I want to yell shut the fuck up and play your music. The reason I don't is because most of the time I know what these people are all about and what they stand for before I see them perform. That's the unfortunate choice I have to make. Do I want to hear them perform live knowing I am going to get the political rants as well? I wish they wouldn't do it but they have their audience and feel the need to be heard. Of course what people such as Bono say to me doesn't mean any more than what someone I respect on here posts but Bono talks the talk and walks the walk - so maybe he has earned the right to preach? Maybe I should give a damn what he has to say. Most of the time I don't. Yes, I'm a confused person in many ways.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Grandma wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:28 pm OFF THE COURT athletes do some really good stuff for others and society. I think most of them earn the right to speak their minds due to that alone.
I don't feel athletes should be necessarily be considered heroes for what they do on the court, field, ice, but I do feel a lot of them should be recognized and admired for being heroes off the court, field, ice, whatever.

I know they are pretty much made to do it but to me - this (see link below) is hero stuff.
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2013/dec/ ... needy-fam/
Most of us admire them for doing it - but that's about it. One of the players dunks a basketball in Allen,16,000 people get semi orgasmic and a shit load more get off on it who see it happen on TV.

We have the Cascadias of the world who choose to belittle an athlete (or anyone else) and discount what they have to say because the athlete/person isn't smart as smart as they are. They just as easily can give that person praise - for being a good person.
I don't think most of them are good people either. They do have good PR people who spin their image.

I am making no claims regarding my own intelligence.
Deleted User 310

Lakers adding Dennis Schroder. Love that addition for them.
Deleted User 310

Deleted User 310

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Harden to Brooklyn would take a lot of pieces.
That'd be a nasty trio though -- but I think you keep your young depth -- Brooklyn, without Durant and Irving, could probably finish around .500 next year - just showing that they already have a roster.