GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
shindig

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by shindig »

I'm not even sure if we are doing a Turkey Day this year. If we do, it will be just myself, my dog, my parents and my younger brother and his girlfriend and two kids. But even that has my parents nervous (my Dad will be 80 in December). I suggested just boot it this year, it's not like we don't see each other throughout the year, we all live in the KC metro area. I really don't want to get this shit. I'm 48, so probably not real high risk, but my neighbor down the street got it (he's 44), said he had horrendous headaches for a few days, then started feeling better and then bam, he was in the hospital hooked up to a ventilator. Stayed in the hospital 5 days and is still having issues, like headaches, body aches, shortness of breath, etc.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Same Shindig. Doing a gathering with my parents only. Avoiding my wife's family in a house full of about 20 people expected. Just going to avoid that and go to a bigger home with less people.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Gathering is a strong word. Eat, watch the Hawks play and then hopefully it's nice weather to let the kids run around outside.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Holidays are going to be a mess.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Just my mother and I for Turkey Day this year. My mother is VERY upset about it. Decent chance this will be her last one.

On another note not too happy note, yesterday I went with her to the lung cancer doc.
My mother is pretty sharp but doesn't hear well and has a lot of anxiety - rightfully so when you have been diagnosed with lung cancer and are discussing what if any possible options there are.
I have been with her to this doctor a couple of times since Covid has existed. They always allowed me in the "exam room" with her.
Yesterday they absolutely would not allow me in the "exam room" with her and the doctor.
My mother was very upset about it but we understood.
Doc had to call me on my phone in the waiting area while he was in there with my mother.
As he is speaking with me on the phone, another doctor had to come out in the waiting room and speak with the daughter of a patient.
It was very distracting for all of us to be having serious conversations at the same time.
MEANWHILE, there was some fat fuck (I'm a fat fuck too) who was sitting in the waiting area with his mask pulled below his face and was sniffling, blowing his nose, and coughing with clearly a lot of mucus/phlegm. I had to be an asshole and say something. He said, I've been tested for Covid and I don't have it. I said, I never accused you of having it but come on - you are around a lot of elderly people who have cancer. Do you think it's a good idea for you NOT to have a mask covering your face?
He didn't answer and proceeded to make a phone call. What was I going to do? Physically carry him out of there? Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with people?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:41 am Holidays are going to be a mess.
I'm shocked my kids school district hasn't been proactive and went ahead and declared remote learning from Thanksgiving to Christmas Break.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

My mother-in-law is apparently going to cook Thanksgiving dinner and prepare take out packages for us and her other daughter's family to pick up. We'll enjoy that at home and then since the weather is going to be pretty nice, we're going to go back to her house and eat dessert on her deck outside. It's a workable alternative.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:41 am Holidays are going to be a mess.
Big time. The hospitalizations from Thanksgiving COVID infections will start flooding hospitals around Christmas and then the Christmas infections will blow them apart at the seams by the end of January.

I feel horrible for front line workers and their families.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I mean, you just look at Canada. They had their version of Thanksgiving in the middle of October, their cases are the highest and sharpest incline they've had so far.

It's going to be disastrous.

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:20 am
I'm shocked my kids school district hasn't been proactive and went ahead and declared remote learning from Thanksgiving to Christmas Break.
Consider yourself lucky.

Children in my area get no in person schooling. And no athletics.

Not a good time to be a young person.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:20 amI'm shocked my kids school district hasn't been proactive and went ahead and declared remote learning from Thanksgiving to Christmas Break.
This is not directed at you at all, but I'm not.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:38 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:20 am
Consider yourself lucky.

Children in my area get no in person schooling. And no athletics.

Not a good time to be a young person.
Yes, because of choices older people have/haven’t made.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:52 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:20 amI'm shocked my kids school district hasn't been proactive and went ahead and declared remote learning from Thanksgiving to Christmas Break.
This is not directed at you at all, but I'm not.
Yeah, I hear ya.

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

We managed to play a full fall soccer season, no issues. We managed to get in two months of the hockey season, no issues.

Very few issues to date in this school year. A few cases. But not many. We were doing a hybrid model. Half in person. Half remote. It was working.

I have a democrat governor. Then I get a democrat president elect. Then I get full remote learning, quickly followed by no more athletics. Coincidence?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The next disaster for rural towns in places like Kansas will be when the college freshmen go back home for all of December and January and inevitably house party together and take it back home and to grandma's on xmas day.

Cousin is a frosh and fiancee' is faculty at KU. College kids are still being college kids. I do feel for them, but that's a pot that's going to boil over.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Don't get political on this board, bro.

Just look at the general spike across the country and you'll find your answer.