COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Cascadia

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Cascadia »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:28 am
Cascadia wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:26 am
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:06 am doctors/nurses with stories of people with their dying breaths arguing that covid is a hoax and that they’ve just got the flu
Just so damn frustrating........
i heard on the radio a few days ago that sick idahoans are heading your way since their own hospitals are already full

washington/oregon healthcare professionals were not happy
Fucking great!

Although I have enough supplies to not leave my house for two months. I also have enough space to keep me and the dog sane. I’ll probably leave occasionally but definitely planning on limiting any time away from home.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:33 am
Cascadia wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:26 am

Just so damn frustrating........
i heard on the radio a few days ago that sick idahoans are heading your way since their own hospitals are already full

Fucking great!

Although I have enough supplies to not leave my house for two months. I also have enough space to keep me and the dog sane. I’ll probably leave occasionally but definitely planning on limiting any time away from home.
best/smartest thing i’ve done this year was buy a chest freezer back in february
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:35 am

Fucking great!

best/smartest thing i’ve done this year was buy a chest freezer back in february
Great move. Mine is currently housing:

(Roughly)
50 lb of chicken
20 lb of beef
20 lb of fish
20 lb of pork

I’m also a gardener and can green beans, vegetable soup, chili, salsa and pickles.

I’m going to try and grow lettuce this winter in the green house.
Deleted User 89

Cascadia wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:42 am
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:35 am

Fucking great!

Great move. Mine is currently housing:

(Roughly)
50 lb of chicken
20 lb of beef
20 lb of fish
20 lb of pork

I’m also a gardener and can green beans, vegetable soup, chili, salsa and pickles.

I’m going to try and grow lettuce this winter in the green house.
nice

shoulda gotten the garden going this year, but dropped the ball

that’s awesome that you do some canning
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Without diving too deep into the logistics and economical concerns, I'm really wondering if there shouldn't be a corporate America moratorium from like Dec. 19 - Jan. 3.

Schools are closed. Not much work ever gets done in those 2 weeks. People will be irresponsible during this time. Shut the buildings down.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:58 am Without diving too deep into the logistics and economical concerns, I'm really wondering if there shouldn't be a corporate America moratorium from like Dec. 19 - Jan. 3.

Schools are closed. Not much work ever gets done in those 2 weeks. People will be irresponsible during this time. Shut the buildings down.
I'd had a similar thought, but it was more that, after the holidays, which more or less end on the 1st. Nothing should restart until about the 15th unless necessary.

But I think people would just view that as an extended vacation and it would defeat the purpose.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:12 amBut I think people would just view that as an extended vacation and it would defeat the purpose.
Absolutely my hesitancy as well.

But, I think people are getting COVID regardless by going to big get togethers and parties and even vacations (airline prices over holidays are at their normal high rate). This would just be a way to keep them from going into office buildings as well. There are a lot of employers that are still requiring employees to be in offices, not to mention all of the building staff.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:17 am
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:12 amBut I think people would just view that as an extended vacation and it would defeat the purpose.

But, I think people are getting COVID regardless by going to big get togethers and parties and even vacations (airline prices over holidays are at their normal high rate). This would just be a way to keep them from going into office buildings as well. There are a lot of employers that are still requiring employees to be in offices, not to mention all of the building staff.
Until they reopen. People are gonna get together the whole time so anytime you reopen then the risk of a new spread is ever present. At that point youve either got to shut down again or youve shut the economy down for nothing. So where is the line, where does it stop?
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:31 am

Until they reopen. People are gonna get together the whole time so anytime you reopen then the risk of a new spread is ever present. At that point youve either got to shut down again or youve shut the economy down for nothing. So where is the line, where does it stop?
Definitely outside of my realm and above my pay grade.

I just absolutely foresee a big problem come holiday time, and other countries saw spikes on their holidays just like the US did after Halloween. I just know that people are still going to get together and wouldn't be deterred by travel sanctions like increased highway tolls or taxes on airplane tickets, so wouldn't mind something else being done. Those dead weeks at the end and beginning of the year might provide some opportunity.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Well, at some point though personal responsibility comes into play.

I mean, we all are walking a balance of living our lives and trying to not be irresponsible in terms of the spread of the virus, so I get it. And I'm pissed when I see people being irresponsible.

But goddam all these arguments come down to a back and forth about should there be mandated lockdown laws, or mask requirements, or curfews, or mandatory vaccines....

At some point don't people just want to not be the asshole that made things worse, that got people sick, or that accidentally killed Grandma? Whether the boss told them not to come in, or the Governor passed a lockdown order?

Deleted User 89

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:41 am

I mean, we all are walking a balance of living our lives and trying to not be irresponsible in terms of the spread of the virus, so I get it. And I'm pissed when I see people being irresponsible.

But goddam all these arguments come down to a back and forth about should there be mandated lockdown laws, or mask requirements, or curfews, or mandatory vaccines....

At some point don't people just want to not be the asshole that made things worse, that got people sick, or that accidentally killed Grandma? Whether the boss told them not to come in, or the Governor passed a lockdown order?
pie in the sky

or did you forget that 1) people are still protesting masks, 2) people are still denying that the virus/disease is real, and 3) that a good portion of this country thinks the amount of death we’ve seen is ok and reasonable
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's been like 8+ months here. We already know the answer.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I agree with you I just dont have a lot of faith.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

That was in response to PhD
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

TDub wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:31 am So where is the line, where does it stop?
almost everyone is doing the right thing. Almost everyone is doing what is asked of them. Almost everyone is making the sacrifices necessary. The hina slime is a bitch for sure. Almost everyone is doing the right thing for the cause.

But the ruling class is out of control. Since the election they are drunk with power. The absurd orders that have been handed down in the last week in the name of “we know what’s best. Don’t you dare question my authority.

The folks are eager to do what’s best. But they aren’t stupid. The line is coming. Soon.
Deleted User 89

the “count on your neighbor to be responsible” ship has sailed
Deleted User 89

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:48 am
TDub wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:31 am So where is the line, where does it stop?
almost everyone is doing the right thing. Almost everyone is doing what is asked of them. Almost everyone is making the sacrifices necessary. The hina slime is a bitch for sure. Almost everyone is doing the right thing for the cause.

But the ruling class is out of control. Since the election they are drunk with power. The absurd orders that have been handed down in the last week in the name of “we know what’s best. Don’t you dare question my authority.

The folks are eager to do what’s best. But they aren’t stupid. The line is coming. Soon.
this is just false

if you were right, we wouldn’t be in our current situation
Deleted User 89

and please stop with xenophobic bs of calling it the china virus/slime/fungus, pos
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:44 am
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:41 am

pie in the sky

or did you forget that 1) people are still protesting masks, 2) people are still denying that the virus/disease is real, and 3) that a good portion of this country thinks the amount of death we’ve seen is ok and reasonable
That's exactly what I'm talking about. #1 specifically fits...we're wasting time arguing about the constitutionality of mask mandates, and the importance of freedom, and rights....what about the choice to not be an asshole, what about the right to do what's right whether you are forced to or not?

It became political so people took sides like they are teams.

Item #2, I have no answer for.

I think you're misrepresenting #3 for the most part. People are looking for a balance. We can't shut down completely for a long period of time that'd be worse, we should do what we can to slow the spread, protect the elderly/immunocompromised. Unfortunately our leadership, led by the orange baffoon, failed us miserably in terms of giving direction. Failure to take expert advice got us to where we are.

No one likes wearing a mask, but goddam, if it means I can still go to the store, or to work, and significantly reduces my chances of spreading the virus, I'm going to do it. I'm going to stay home, as much as possible because it's the right thing to do, etc.

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I was at the supermarket yesterday afternoon at 5:00pm my time. Not a party store. A big supermarket chain. I counted two people total that did not have a mask on. I call that doing the right thing.