COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Deleted User 89 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:51 am
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:44 am
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:41 am
Well, at some point though personal responsibility comes into play.

I mean, we all are walking a balance of living our lives and trying to not be irresponsible in terms of the spread of the virus, so I get it. And I'm pissed when I see people being irresponsible.

But goddam all these arguments come down to a back and forth about should there be mandated lockdown laws, or mask requirements, or curfews, or mandatory vaccines....

At some point don't people just want to not be the asshole that made things worse, that got people sick, or that accidentally killed Grandma? Whether the boss told them not to come in, or the Governor passed a lockdown order?
pie in the sky

or did you forget that 1) people are still protesting masks, 2) people are still denying that the virus/disease is real, and 3) that a good portion of this country thinks the amount of death we’ve seen is ok and reasonable
That's exactly what I'm talking about. #1 specifically fits...we're wasting time arguing about the constitutionality of mask mandates, and the importance of freedom, and rights....what about the choice to not be an asshole, what about the right to do what's right whether you are forced to or not?

It became political so people took sides like they are teams.

Item #2, I have no answer for.

I think you're misrepresenting #3 for the most part. People are looking for a balance. We can't shut down completely for a long period of time that'd be worse, we should do what we can to slow the spread, protect the elderly/immunocompromised. Unfortunately our leadership, led by the orange baffoon, failed us miserably in terms of giving direction. Failure to take expert advice got us to where we are.

No one likes wearing a mask, but goddam, if it means I can still go to the store, or to work, and significantly reduces my chances of spreading the virus, I'm going to do it. I'm going to stay home, as much as possible because it's the right thing to do, etc.
as to #2, maybe the sentiment has changed since august when there were ONLY 176K deaths

https://forbes.com/sites/nicholasreiman ... 941aff46c6
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

TDub wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:31 am So where is the line, where does it stop?
More evidence the line is coming. nyc has closed schools to in person learning. But bars remain open. In door dining is still fair game. You can go workout in your in door gymnasium.

The sooner the ruling class “jump their shark” the sooner we can get to common sense problem solving.

With every new “don’t you dare question my authority” restriction and regulation we get closer to the line.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

MICH, you really are a special kind of dumb. But it's also becoming clear that you're a special kind of evil.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I think closing schools should be the last resort. You think closing bars should be. We differ.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Where did you get that from?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

No but really, almost everyone is doing the right thing. People are following the rules, we just need to trust people to be responsible and reasonable.

https://www.businessinsider.com/20-publ ... eks-2020-6

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/orang ... r-BB15dIcB

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/woman- ... de-costco/

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/11/watch- ... ar-a-mask/
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the sheriff of iron co. here in utah flat out told the governor that he wasn’t going to enforce the new mask mandate

elected officials across the country have done the same or similar
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

What's the aversion to wearing a mask, just cause you haven't had to do it before?

I mean, I don't like wearing pants, I do it cause it's the decent thing to do. Wearing masks can SAVE LIVES.

There's a better argument, imho, to not wearing pants, than to not wear a mask.

It shouldn't NEED to be enforced. There's no reason everyone shouldn't wear masks. I mean, people should WANT to wear masks.

There's no rule that you have to wear a coat during a blizzard, but everyone does it so they don't get hypothermia. I really don't see a difference here other than the virus is invisible (and assholes like MICH incorrectly call it a fungus, and think that's cute).
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Ridiculous. Some of us have medical issues. I can show you my exemption card. Printed it off facebook.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

That's the best. I have breathing problems, I better go out without a mask on during a global pandemic of an aerosolized respiratory pathogen.

If your lungs are in such bad shape you can't handle a mask, you shouldn't be out in public at all.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^

If anyone played the medical exemption card on me, I would offer over-the-top concern for their condition, and implore them to go home and isolate rather than risk exposure on top of their already vulnerable condition.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Also, this just happened at work:

“Hi, we rented a place from yall for thanksgiving, and we’re bringing up a party of 19. Is that ok? Can y’all accommodate?”

Accommodate how so, sir? You mean in the context of covid regulations?

“Ohh no no no, lol, we mean can y’all accommodate us with enough toilet paper for 19 tourists after a big holiday dinner?”

Ohhh! Of course sir, that was the concern I had in mind too, heh heh. We’ll stock extra TP, just please remember the courtesy flushes.

(Our county’s regs currently mandate no more than 10 folks from 2 households in the same place, but I was instructed by management to not mention that...)
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Difference between choosing not to wear a mask and refusing to wear a mask - when required to do as such.
People who refuse to wear a mask when required to do as such should comprehend if they feel they have the right to refuse to wear a mask - that people have the right to refuse them service.
Instead some prefer to act like complete assholes. Those are the people I feel deserve/d to have their reproductive organs removed at birth.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I had a construction worker mention to me that he thought masks were bullshit, blah, blah, blah.

I asked him if he was going to wear a hardhat to work tomorrow and if he thought he could show up in flip flops and get on the job site? He shrugged.

I told him the obvious....just try it.

The superintendent will tell you to get the fuck off the job and don't come back. You wear a hard hat everyday because you have to, to go to work. You wear boots and you wear a safety vest. No one says, well if you just use common sense and don't let a concrete block drop on your head or make sure everyone driving a piece of equipment sees you, then you can leave that shit at home. No, we have safety equipment required and if you don't show up with your equipment, you go the fuck home. It's not up for debate, nobody gives a fuck whether or not you "think" you need it. You don't have to wear it, but you don't get access to the job site either.

We are all living on a pandemic site now. Put on the appropriate safety equipment or stay the fuck home.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh jeez, what’s next?

Michhawk gotta bring life vests on his boat too??
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

My redneck hometown is making the news!

https://apple.news/AZmJbmA37QO-fMOBRz76mbg
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

We are a third of the way to the national Spanish Flu death total. And would top it in the Spring if we stay on this stupid path. Which is incredibly inept.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:22 pm Where did you get that from?
I had to go back and reread the last two pages to be absolutely sure, but: yes, you just got straw-manned.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:53 am I was at the supermarket yesterday afternoon at 5:00pm my time. Not a party store. A big supermarket chain. I counted two people total that did not have a mask on. I call that doing the right thing.
Great. I agree that compliance has been very good (in my experience) in certain public places like grocery stores and even airports and hotels.

But it all falls to shit when people are still packing bars or having house parties and so on.

If you want your golf courses to open in the Spring, then you should be rooting for better behavior this winter than we’ve seen to date.

Because you’re right - if we (on a big scale) can’t prove that we can effectively self-regulate, then governments have no choice but to take overly harsh and broad measures.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Closed in Michigan:

Schools
Bars
In person dining
Ice rinks
Movie theaters
Bowling alleys

Nothing left to close. It all been closed.