What is/are some "cool" shit that you have?

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 289

What is/are some "cool" shit that you have?

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Many people collect things. I say I amass things. A whole bunch of shit.
I have mentioned on here some of the shit I have. I won't bore anyone again. At least not now.
So what do you have/collect/amass that most others don't and YOU feel is kind of (or completely) cool?
ousdahl

Re: What is/are some "cool" shit that you have?

Post by ousdahl »

More fly rods than I need, but nothing super special I guess. I never paid more than what I could prob sell them for, anyway.

I do have some cymbals that are special. Not many, but some vintage/collectible ones that have appreciated nicely. Beautiful musical instruments, either way.

I also have a drumstick that I caught when the drummer from Reel Big Fish threw it into the crowd at the end of the show. Sooo so very special.
Deleted User 289

ousdahl wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:42 pm More fly rods than I need, but nothing super special I guess. I never paid more than what I could prob sell them for, anyway.

I do have some cymbals that are special. Not many, but some vintage/collectible ones that have appreciated nicely. Beautiful musical instruments, either way.

I also have a drumstick that I caught when the drummer from Reel Big Fish threw it into the crowd at the end of the show. Sooo so very special.
Nice get on the drumstick!
Reminds of of when Slash threw me his guitar pick and the kid next to me had better reflexes and snatched it out of the air. Slash was impressed and just gave me a look like - sucks to be you dude.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I have a saxophone collection. 20. 1918-2010. Mostly American. Only one soprano though.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I have beer glasses from all of the trappist breweries. Some of them date back to the 1940's with logos that are hand painted in enamel.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

That is unexpectedly cool Japhy
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Mrs. Fish and I are not sentimental people, so we don’t have a lot in the way of keepsakes or collectors items.

Around ten years ago, there was a story about me in a major newspaper, and a law school classmate (with whom I was acquaintances at best) went around gathering for me as many paper copies as she could find, because I was traveling and wouldn’t have even thought of it.

So I now have maybe a dozen copies of that paper, which mean at least as much to me as hard evidence of the goodness of people as they do as a reminder of a particular time in my life.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I have enough tools to completely outfit three shops, and I've saved every ticket to KU basketball and football games since 1993.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

defixione wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:59 am I have enough tools to completely outfit three shops, and I've saved every ticket to KU basketball and football games since 1993.
I'm among the least handy people you've ever met. I grew up in apartments and condos. I didn't have grass in my life, until this house in the burbs.

Which is all to say, I have a tool bag about the size of a large purse.

My nextdoor neighbor has all the cool shit, up to and including a ride-on mower with a snowplow attachment. He keeps making noise about retiring and moving to Florida or Texas or Arizona. I've told him I want a right of first refusal on all his tools and equipment.
Deleted User 289

Sparko wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:31 pm I have a saxophone collection. 20. 1918-2010. Mostly American. Only one soprano though.
Wow! I assume you can/do play the saxophone. Yes? No?
Deleted User 289

japhy wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:09 pm Image

I have beer glasses from all of the trappist breweries. Some of them date back to the 1940's with logos that are hand painted in enamel.
Very cool!
I haven't had a beer since before Obama became President.
Perfect example of how something can be both great and suck for me.
Deleted User 289

jfish26 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:48 am Mrs. Fish and I are not sentimental people, so we don’t have a lot in the way of keepsakes or collectors items.

Around ten years ago, there was a story about me in a major newspaper, and a law school classmate (with whom I was acquaintances at best) went around gathering for me as many paper copies as she could find, because I was traveling and wouldn’t have even thought of it.

So I now have maybe a dozen copies of that paper, which mean at least as much to me as hard evidence of the goodness of people as they do as a reminder of a particular time in my life.
No doubt "sentimental" things that have a small "retail" value are often much more valuable to us than things that cost a fortune. Also, it's often the "smallest gestures" that have the most meaning.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

People that are handy with tools are God’s work of art. I have lived in my condo since 2008, when KU won the championship.

I was doing yard cleanup during the Fall of 2007 in Leawood when I just stopped my lawnmower in my front yard and told myself, “I’m not doing this anymore.” I left my mower outside in the same place all winter until I moved, causing the HOA consternation.
Deleted User 289

defixione wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:59 am I have enough tools to completely outfit three shops, and I've saved every ticket to KU basketball and football games since 1993.
Being that I am NOT a handyman, the extent of my tool collection is probably the LEAST impressive one anyone can see. As I said to the woman in the Nike store yesterday, I have way too many pairs of shoes but.... They are and will always be something useful to me.
I also "collect" and keep most of my tickets.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Leawood wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:50 am People that are handy with tools are God’s work of art. I have lived in my condo since 2008, when KU won the championship.

I was doing yard cleanup during the Fall of 2007 in Leawood when I just stopped my lawnmower in my front yard and told myself, “I’m not doing this anymore.” I left my mower outside in the same place all winter until I moved, causing the HOA consternation.
I expect the long-term impact of Covid (which will include the de-emphasis of working in centrally-located Class A office space) will accelerate the statistical aging of who lives downtown (or, in KC, downtown/crossroads/plaza). You'll see more and more empty-nesters (and possibly even retirees), and fewer and fewer 20-somethings.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

How can anybody not like yardwork? Thats the way i relax. A little yard work, a little mowing, a little wood splitting or raking. I lenjoy it.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

course i couldn't live in an apartment, id go insane. Id live in my truck before i moved into an apartment. My last apartment was in 2003, never again. So, different strokes i spose
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:30 am How can anybody not like yardwork? Thats the way i relax. A little yard work, a little mowing, a little wood splitting or raking. I lenjoy it.
I enjoy my yard 11 months out of the year. But from Halloween to Thanksgiving I hate it. I dragged 35 bags of yard waste to the curb this week and not all of my leaves are down yet. I am getting too old for this shit.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I have a nice collection of George Brett cards that my Dad and I have worked on over the years. The last decade of excessive specialty cards has turned me off it a bit but it's still fun.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Been working on my 2013 Kansas Jayhawk Upper Deck set as well.