What is/are some "cool" shit that you have?

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: What is/are some "cool" shit that you have?

Post by TDub »

I have a Willie Wilson signed baseball that was a foul ball i caught. Its worthless.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mine is all kitchen stuff. Surprise, surprise.
25+year old Kitchen Aid monster stand mixer.
French knife my uncle bought for my mom in the 60's
I have two cast iron skillets that belonged to my aunt and grandmother.
A pair of tongs my friend Tom gave me. He had a bunch of them from when he was a volunteer for the American Royal. RIP Tom, I miss you.
My grandmother's soup pot. She used to make chicken and noodle soup in it and pass it around to her kids. I've offered this to my cousins.
Broham
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Leawood wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:50 am People that are handy with tools are God’s work of art. I have lived in my condo since 2008, when KU won the championship.

I was doing yard cleanup during the Fall of 2007 in Leawood when I just stopped my lawnmower in my front yard and told myself, “I’m not doing this anymore.” I left my mower outside in the same place all winter until I moved, causing the HOA consternation.
My tool collection is slanted towards demolition. It's what I am best at, luckily I have a surplus of old buildings that need to be cleaned out. When it comes to actually building things back I leave that to someone with skills like Defix. I appreciate good detailing and that is an art, and not one I have mastered.

When we moved out of Parkville I had a whole garage full of equipment for the yard. Our new yard is over an acre. After the second year my wife noticed how much money it costs to get all of the equipment tuned up and ready in the spring. She told me she could get a guy to mow the yard and edge with a weedeater for the whole summer for the same money. The next weekend I gave all of the equipment away and enjoyed the summer much more. I hate the heat and humidity. In Colorado my yards are gravel and sand and a few hardy wildflowers. My "yard work" consists of sitting in the shade and drinking beer. And I am pretty fucking good at it.
Last edited by japhy on Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

twocoach wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:39 am Been working on my 2013 Kansas Jayhawk Upper Deck set as well.
I am missing 2 autos from the base card set. Sherron Collins and the Scott Pollard #55. A box I got for Christmas, I pulled the #1 of 3 triple auto of Pierce/LaFrentz/Pollard.

As a youngster I used to be big into baseball card collecting. Pretty much stopped collecting when I graduated high school. Over the last 10 years I've gotten back into it very selectively, mostly adding a piece of memorabilia here and there (signed bat, signed ball, a few PSA certified 10's like the 89 Upper Deck Griffey Jr). The 2013 Upper Deck Kansas set was awesome and really took me back to the good ol' days of collecting.

https://kuballs.com/2018/12/27/upper-de ... ball-card/
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

My new "hobby" as far as collecting goes is Hot Wheels. I don't recall having many of these at all growing up, but my soon-to-be 5 year old is obsessed with cars. I bought him his first Hot Wheel about 3 years ago. Now between he and I we have approximately 700 of them. I keep a handful of the Treasure Hunts and Super Treasure Hunts we find in protective cases, otherwise he opens and plays with the rest. Like card collecting, this kind of takes me back... It is a fun hobby for a cheap 99 cent toy.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

autographed Jean-Claude Van Damme picture from his Double Impact film

i thought it was the shit when i got it

now, it’s kinda meh...especially when i see him hawking doritos
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess tradition stopped giving a Jean-Claude Van Damme about that one.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

If the doritos were cooler ranch flavor, that I get Trad's indifference.

But if they were nacho cheesier, then that photo just became awesome.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'd like to join the humble brag thread.

Very few cool things as I'm also not sentimental. Only one that comes to mind is a ball autographed by the entire 1962 Yankees a few weeks after winning the WS. Mantle, Maris, Berra, Ford, etc.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Most of ya'll can probably guess what I consider my "cool" shit...lol. 2 trikes I restored from the ground up. More money spent on them than they are probably worth now, but hey, we all need hobbies. I don't have a flickr account anymore, so can't upload either of them, any other suggestions (flickr is also blocked on my work laptop).

Other cool shit I collect are old vintage fans that you can stick your whole hand in if you're not careful. My favorite is a 1928 oscillating fan with brash blades and it still works after I re-wired it. Other vintage stuff I have are an old copper and brass fire extinguisher, probably from the 1940's and an old brass blow torch...lol Both are in my office.
Last edited by shindig on Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:52 am If the doritos were cooler ranch flavor, that I get Trad's indifference.

But if they were nacho cheesier, then that photo just became awesome.
sweet chili or gtfo
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I've never had sweet chili. I don't eat doritos enough to venture out.

But cooler ranch is gross.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

When was it when the Doritos became Dorito-er?

I think like the 90s. It use to just be “nacho cheese” or cool ranch” but then they took it another step. I think maybe they got more flavor-er? But I dunno, I prefer sun chips.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Salsa verde doritos are hands down the best
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Sun Chips are gross. Fact.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If they were Doritos they’d be gross-er
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Harvest cheddar is the only sunchip worth eating
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Those are prob my fave.

The garden salsa ones are good too, and way more/better spices than the synthesized Doritos flavors.

The original ones are good for dipping too.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

shindig wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:02 am Most of ya'll can probably guess what I consider my "cool" shit...lol. 2 trikes I restored from the ground up. More money spent on them than they are probably worth now, but hey, we all need hobbies. I don't have a flickr account anymore, so can't upload either of them, any other suggestions (flickr is also blocked on my work laptop).

Other cool shit I collect are old vintage fans that you can stick your whole hand in if you're not careful. My favorite is a 1928 oscillating fan with brash blades and it still works after I re-wired it. Other vintage stuff I have are an old copper and brass fire extinguisher, probably from the 1940's and an old brass blow torch...lol Both are in my office.
I feel your pain/glutton for punishment: I've completely restored a 71 Triumph Bonneville, a 73 Norton Commando and a 70 MG Midget. I'm in the middle of a 64 Norton Electra restoration. My shop space has shrunk by 40% . . . Anybody want to buy a vintage keepsake? 😉
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Miss Vicks Jalapeno potatoe chips are dabomb.
Broham