What is/are some "cool" shit that you have?

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 289

Re: What is/are some "cool" shit that you have?

Post by Deleted User 289 »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:47 am Mine is all kitchen stuff. Surprise, surprise.
25+year old Kitchen Aid monster stand mixer.
French knife my uncle bought for my mom in the 60's
I have two cast iron skillets that belonged to my aunt and grandmother.
A pair of tongs my friend Tom gave me. He had a bunch of them from when he was a volunteer for the American Royal. RIP Tom, I miss you.
My grandmother's soup pot. She used to make chicken and noodle soup in it and pass it around to her kids. I've offered this to my cousins.
Two thoughts.
1) Nice that you still have things that were given to you by people that mean/meant something to you. Should give you the warm and fuzzies when you use them.
2) Isn't it cool how "old stuff" works as well if not better than "new stuff"?
My mother occasionally bakes and still uses a Kitchen Aid mixer that has to be 30+ years old.
That and one of her Cusinarts that is probably even older.
Deleted User 289

japhy wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:58 am
Leawood wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:50 am People that are handy with tools are God’s work of art. I have lived in my condo since 2008, when KU won the championship.

I was doing yard cleanup during the Fall of 2007 in Leawood when I just stopped my lawnmower in my front yard and told myself, “I’m not doing this anymore.” I left my mower outside in the same place all winter until I moved, causing the HOA consternation.
My tool collection is slanted towards demolition. It's what I am best at, luckily I have a surplus of old buildings that need to be cleaned out. When it comes to actually building things back I leave that to someone with skills like Defix. I appreciate good detailing and that is an art, and not one I have mastered.

When we moved out of Parkville I had a whole garage full of equipment for the yard. Our new yard is over an acre. After the second year my wife noticed how much money it costs to get all of the equipment tuned up and ready in the spring. She told me she could get a guy to mow the yard and edge with a weedeater for the whole summer for the same money. The next weekend I gave all of the equipment away and enjoyed the summer much more. I hate the heat and humidity. In Colorado my yards are gravel and sand and a few hardy wildflowers. My "yard work" consists of sitting in the shade and drinking beer. And I am pretty fucking good at it.
Reminds me of when I was a kid and my father would bitch about how much our landscapers charged to take a mower and mow our lawn. He said he would buy a mower and pay me $10 to mow the lawn once a week or every 10 days or so. Cool. I would do it and then he would pay me. Then the lightbulb went on in his head. Why pay me when he could do it. He did it once, said f*ck that, and made me do it once again. Until I ran over a rock and broke the blade and my mother freaked out saying it's way too dangerous for a 10 year old or however old kid I was at the time.
Obviously that was a way too long story but the moral of it is, if you can afford it - it's usually best to let a "professional" do what they can do for you.
Deleted User 289

sdoyel wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:03 am My new "hobby" as far as collecting goes is Hot Wheels. I don't recall having many of these at all growing up, but my soon-to-be 5 year old is obsessed with cars. I bought him his first Hot Wheel about 3 years ago. Now between he and I we have approximately 700 of them. I keep a handful of the Treasure Hunts and Super Treasure Hunts we find in protective cases, otherwise he opens and plays with the rest. Like card collecting, this kind of takes me back... It is a fun hobby for a cheap 99 cent toy.
That's cool!
I was a Corgi car guy. Wish I still had the originals in new or mint condition. Instead I played with them and destroyed most of them.
Deleted User 289

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:24 am autographed Jean-Claude Van Damme picture from his Double Impact film

i thought it was the shit when i got it

now, it’s kinda meh...especially when i see him hawking doritos
I laughed because I was watching TV with my mother and the Post "Limon" Doritos commercial came on.
I asked her if she liked the commercial. She said no and asked me what the hell that was.
I told her it's not worth my explaining to you and she was happy I said that.
In other words, I don't think Post Malone is the best guy to be hawking Doritos to an 87 year old.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Grandma wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:15 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:24 am autographed Jean-Claude Van Damme picture from his Double Impact film

i thought it was the shit when i got it

now, it’s kinda meh...especially when i see him hawking doritos
I laughed because I was watching TV with my mother and the Post "Limon" Doritos commercial came on.
I asked her if she liked the commercial. She said no and asked me what the hell that was.
I told her it's not worth my explaining to you and she was happy I said that.
In other words, I don't think Post Malone is the best guy to be hawking Doritos to an 87 year old.
the only things he should be hawking are tattoos and piercings...at least, if reaching the broadest audience is the goal
Deleted User 289

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:56 am I'd like to join the humble brag thread.

Very few cool things as I'm also not sentimental. Only one that comes to mind is a ball autographed by the entire 1962 Yankees a few weeks after winning the WS. Mantle, Maris, Berra, Ford, etc.
Not that this thread was meant to be a competition but that could be the winner.
I have a single ball signed by a bunch of Cubs Hall of Famers and then I have individual balls signed by the 2016 Cubs players but nothing like you have.
Deleted User 289

shindig wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:02 am Most of ya'll can probably guess what I consider my "cool" shit...lol. 2 trikes I restored from the ground up. More money spent on them than they are probably worth now, but hey, we all need hobbies. I don't have a flickr account anymore, so can't upload either of them, any other suggestions (flickr is also blocked on my work laptop).

Other cool shit I collect are old vintage fans that you can stick your whole hand in if you're not careful. My favorite is a 1928 oscillating fan with brash blades and it still works after I re-wired it. Other vintage stuff I have are an old copper and brass fire extinguisher, probably from the 1940's and an old brass blow torch...lol Both are in my office.
You have a fantastic hobby! Fun one too.
Obviously I don't know you personally so it's cool to learn that you collect unusual things.
Deleted User 289

defixione wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:27 am
shindig wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:02 am Most of ya'll can probably guess what I consider my "cool" shit...lol. 2 trikes I restored from the ground up. More money spent on them than they are probably worth now, but hey, we all need hobbies. I don't have a flickr account anymore, so can't upload either of them, any other suggestions (flickr is also blocked on my work laptop).

Other cool shit I collect are old vintage fans that you can stick your whole hand in if you're not careful. My favorite is a 1928 oscillating fan with brash blades and it still works after I re-wired it. Other vintage stuff I have are an old copper and brass fire extinguisher, probably from the 1940's and an old brass blow torch...lol Both are in my office.
I feel your pain/glutton for punishment: I've completely restored a 71 Triumph Bonneville, a 73 Norton Commando and a 70 MG Midget. I'm in the middle of a 64 Norton Electra restoration. My shop space has shrunk by 40% . . . Anybody want to buy a vintage keepsake? 😉
Wow!
If I had the money and the balls I wish I could/would buy one but knowing myself too well, I would ride one and it wouldn't end well for me.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Grandma wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:23 pm
defixione wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:27 am

I feel your pain/glutton for punishment: I've completely restored a 71 Triumph Bonneville, a 73 Norton Commando and a 70 MG Midget. I'm in the middle of a 64 Norton Electra restoration. My shop space has shrunk by 40% . . . Anybody want to buy a vintage keepsake? 😉
Wow!
If I had the money and the balls I wish I could/would buy one but knowing myself too well, I would ride one and it wouldn't end well for me.
Oh come on, you only live once. Trikes got a bad reputation because they were marketed to kids in the 80's. They got so popular at a time nobody wore helmets, so the Consumer Products Safety Commission came down hard on them. Honda was hurt the worst since they had 60% of the market share.
Deleted User 289

TDub wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:00 pm
Grandma wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:57 pm
TDub wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:40 am I have a Willie Wilson signed baseball that was a foul ball i caught. Its worthless.
Not worthless at all if it brings back fond memories of when you caught it.
Bo Jackson went into the fountain that game
That is something Geezer and I have in common. Our love for Bo.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Grandma wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:39 am
Sparko wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:31 pm I have a saxophone collection. 20. 1918-2010. Mostly American. Only one soprano though.
Wow! I assume you can/do play the saxophone. Yes? No?
Yes. Many years. My favorite right now is my 1927 Holton Revelation tenor.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I have a personalized signed football from Mark Mangino
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

That’s fun!

I assume it’s like 3 times the size of your average football?

I have a 2008 KU basketball roster poster (the ones they used to distribute all around town and put in the windows of businesses on mass st) signed by Mario Chalmers...or at least I think I do but my dad might have thrown it away.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the wife attended one of the Ladies Nights with Bill Self, and was able to get most of the team to sign the mini-ball they gave out. no Self, but got EJ, TRob, Releford and Ty

must’ve been 2011 or 2012
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:30 am How can anybody not like yardwork? Thats the way i relax. A little yard work, a little mowing, a little wood splitting or raking. I lenjoy it.
Listen to the wind/podcast, have a glass of or two whiskey/beer.
Stress reliever.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:28 am Miss Vicks Jalapeno potatoe chips are dabomb.
Um, yes.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

On subject - 1970s JFK half dollar coin from my grandfather, a custom made knife from Norway, an axe from a Maine company that makes 30 a year, a Journal World paper ( rip kusports ) bought from Dillons on 6th the morning after the 2008 NCAA title game, a Francis sporting good tshirt from 2000.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Grandma wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:20 pm

You have a fantastic hobby! Fun one too.
Obviously I don't know you personally so it's cool to learn that you collect unusual things.
Thanks and I agree with your earlier post about older/vintage items being better built than they are today. I would even say houses were built with much more quality than anything you can buy today. Most modern homes are built with cheap pine. My house, built in 1928, was built with old growth, center cut Oak. That is why nothing ever rots, it's built to last.

Even appliances were built to last. My neighbor has an old gas stove in her house that's probably from the 1940's. It is big, but sturdy as hell and just has cool details that you don't see anymore. And it works perfectly.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

My uncle has a badass old Gibson Les Paul guitar that I hope stays in the fam.

My other uncle had even older, perhaps even more badass Gibson hollow body guitar that everyone else in the fam wanted, until he casually mentioned one day he pawned it for drinking money. Sigh.
shindig

Post by shindig »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:51 am My uncle has a badass old Gibson Les Paul guitar that I hope stays in the fam.

My other uncle had even older, perhaps even more badass Gibson hollow body guitar that everyone else in the fam wanted, until he casually mentioned one day he pawned it for drinking money. Sigh.
That Les Paul guitar would be awesome to own. I have a couple guitars 🎸, but nothing really cool like that. My coolest guitar is an Epiphone semi hollow throwback guitar. It's cherry red and is pretty much just a conversation piece in my living room. I can play just a bit, but just never dedicated myself to really learning how to play it. Someday :)

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone/L ... gJsBfD_BwE