COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
NewtonHawk11

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:42 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:27 am Good lord. That's insane. 67 day break. So many gatherings they are going to have too.

Side note. My kids school district is going to be hybrid for K-6 at best for next month and Remote for 7-12. 2 days in school, 3 days home for the hybrid model. If someone selects hybrid for your student, this is how it works: One group of kids go M/T, they clean everything Wednesday, next group goes Th/F. Clean building on weekend. Siblings go same days, obviously. But will be this way until Winter Break and beyond. I'm surprised the school year has gone as smooth as it has so far in my neck of the woods, tbh.
The constant sanitization is going to be the pandemic's equivalent of taking our belts off in the airport for the rest of time.

It's theater. Time and money can be much better spent elsewhere, like good masks and air replacement systems.
True on that. And I know my district is already budgeting for revamping the air systems and whatnot. Just tough for so many kids because many don't have access to masks. Thankfully, we hopped on the train early and we probably have close to 100 cloth masks in our house that can be used. Washed repeatedly, never worn twice and are disposed of properly when taken off. But a lot of kids don't have that luxury, their parents may not be able to afford plenty of masks and that's where the school needs to step in. I know the district provided each student with 2 masks to start the year, but I think that's been it.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Air replacement systems? For gathering places for the entire country? Not possible. We'll all be dead before thats done. We'll be dead before anyone agrees to pay for that.

Sanitizing isnt a fruitless venture.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

The bonds to pay for downdraft systema or air filtration systems in JUST public schools...nothing else...would break the tax system.

Not to mention pandemic will be long gone before its in use
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:52 am But a lot of kids don't have that luxury, their parents may not be able to afford plenty of masks and that's where the school needs to step in.
This is where the community steps in.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:52 am But a lot of kids don't have that luxury, their parents may not be able to afford plenty of masks and that's where the school needs to step in.
Lol remember that time Trump stopped the USPS from sending masks to every household because he thought it would hurt him politically?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/white-hou ... every-home
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I don't remember that. Holy shit.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:32 am
[/quote]

Lol
[/quote]

Back in August one of the mothers in my subdivision put a message on our facebook page asking for help supplying the local elementary that our kids and grandkids attend. Within a couple days we had a pickup truck full of hand sanitizer, gloves and masks. We were tripping over ourselves trying to get to the store because the kids needed us.

LOL right.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

A blanket drive to support a local homeless shelter.

A meal train for a family whose mom is in the hospital.

A trash bag fundraiser so a middle school class can go to Europe.

These, and many others, are perfect for private, community-based support.

Managing how an entire country deals with an airborne, lethal pathogen?

That is the federal government's job. The failure to even try will cost us at least a half million people.

And, as usual, you either don't believe it (which makes you stupid), or you don't care (which is worse).
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

So if my local elementary needs masks and gloves and hand sanitizer etc I should wait for the federal government? Rather than run to the store myself? Okey dokey.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

At this point, the endless straw man fallacies have to be deliberate from MICH.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:08 am So if my local elementary needs masks and gloves and hand sanitizer etc I should wait for the federal government? Rather than run to the store myself? Okey dokey.
I think you are failing to distinguish between the micro and the macro.

I love the stories of, like, distilleries converting production to hand sanitizer, and clothes companies making masks. Everyone pitch in, do their part, etc. Rah rah America.

But it is just fact that the federal government's active disinterest in - indeed, its allergic reaction to - responsible messaging on and action to address the pandemic will cost hundreds of thousands of lives that did not need to have been lost.

If Trump hadn't politicized masks...masks wouldn't have been a political issue. The end.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:25 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:08 am So if my local elementary needs masks and gloves and hand sanitizer etc I should wait for the federal government? Rather than run to the store myself? Okey dokey.
I think you are failing to distinguish between the micro and the macro.

I love the stories of, like, distilleries converting production to hand sanitizer, and clothes companies making masks. Everyone pitch in, do their part, etc. Rah rah America.

But it is just fact that the federal government's active disinterest in - indeed, its allergic reaction to - responsible messaging on and action to address the pandemic will cost hundreds of thousands of lives that did not need to have been lost.

If Trump hadn't politicized masks...masks wouldn't have been a political issue. The end.
And this is the end of discussion on this back and forth, really. I've had dozens of people say to me "I'm a republican and I don't believe in wearing masks" That always perplexed me. I don't think this should have EVER been a left or right issue. It's a humane issue. But Trump and the right made it so divided that it became a left/right issue.

One of the many reasons why he will be out of the office on January 20th, 2021.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Nearly everything is politicized here. Why this outcome wasn't all that unpredictable.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Which is why the US really needs to get more political parties out there in a bigger role. The more political parties and the greater their roles, the more diluted things like the mask wearing become. It's not an you're with us or against us thing, but instead the country would be so evenly split that the left/right issues would be almost irrelevant.

That's for a different bored I know, but still a thought I've had.

Back to the COVID thing. Wear your masks. Don't let politicians tell you otherwise. Be humane.

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I said this last week, but it’s become clear that MICH is just an evil motherfucker
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:37 am The director of the CDC says school is the safest place for the kids to be.
WRONG! Redfield did NOT say that.
Why do you make shit up?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

sdoyel wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:49 pm
Well the main ingredient, of course, is s’mores
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Pop Tarts very well may have ground up rat turds in them. Still taste pretty good. I've been eating them for probably 50 years. I have never died from eating one.
My uneducated guess is the Covid-19 vaccine has literal poison in it and NO ONE knows the LONG term affects. I get that people are leery.
I will get a vaccine when one becomes available to me but I would be lying if I didn't say I have some trepidation.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

I always keep a box of Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Pop Tarts in the pantry...
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦