COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by Sparko »

Trump more than any other person on earth made COVID-19 unmanageable without a vaccine. And forced off-shore most of the meaningful science.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Supreme Court Says New York Can't Limit Attendance In Houses of Worship Due To COVID

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... -due-to-co
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:42 pm Supreme Court Says New York Can't Limit Attendance In Houses of Worship Due To COVID

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... -due-to-co
Amy COVID Barrett is justifying her monicker. Disease spread during nomination, disease spread during service.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I agree with the decision.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

kill 'em all and let their god/s sort 'em out
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

pdub wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:15 am I agree with the decision.
I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I am curious as to why you agree with the decision.

I am all for as many people congregating as SAFELY possible so to put a limit at 25 seemed foolish to me but I also feel that packing let's say 2500 people in to a house of worship in which they are not following CDC "guidelines" seems even more asinine to me.

Cuomo's words.....

"Look, I'm a former altar boy, Catholic, Catholic grammar school, Catholic high school, Jesuits at college. So I fully respect religion and if there's a time in life when we need it, the time is now. But we want to make sure we keep people safe at the same time, and that's the balance we're trying to hit, especially in this holiday season."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think it's wrong of them to congregate - selfish, stupid.
I think it's pushing the Constitution ( and generally how I feel about freedom of people ) to limit specific gatherings much like the Supreme Court ruled.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

As long as people who attend these congregations can be held criminally accountable for giving the disease to non-attendees I’ll go along with the decision.

What about my freedom to be safe? There are so-called religious freedoms which have been restricted (animal and human sacrifices; polygamy; child-marriage etc). While holding superspreader events don’t rise to this level of seriousness I think it’s pretty close.

There was a precedent set in the CA and NV cases where they gave wide latitude to the local health officials. THAT is the correct decision.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No, you can't hold people criminally accountable for that.
What if I go to the grocery store, follow all protocols, wear a mask etc, but still contract COVID and then spread it?
Are courts going to sift through case by case of the virus?

Impossible.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess in terms of pure legal reasoning, the argument is that if restrictions don’t apply to retail businesses then they shouldn’t apply to religious congregations either. At face value, maybe that’s reasonable enough.

I’m not entirely sure what exactly was different in the CA and NV rulings - besides RBG.

But I just feel like crying for first amendment “religious freedom” during a pandemic is like crying for first amendment free speech to yell “fire” in a crowded theater. Is anyone telling them they can’t practice their religion? Or simply that they can’t practice it in a mass congregation kinda way that brings an added risk to public health during a pandemic.

And, go figure the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn is among the plaintiffs. I think it’s clear that “religious freedom” is more important to them than being “pro-life.”

I’m also afraid of the very nature of what’s happening: these folks might legit think they can pray away the covid, just like the gay. If they’re hugging and shaking hands and not masking and not social distancing cuz they think god is on their side.

Have these religious folks considered that maybe they’re being singled out not because “war on religion” but because they really are disproportionately responsible for the spread of a pandemic? If common good factors such as public health can be undermined for the sake of “religious freedom,” where’s that line gonna be drawn in the bigger picture?

And what to think of Roberts’s’s words: Only that our Constitution principally entrusts the safety and health of the people to the politically accountable officials of the states to guard and protect." I wonder if Gorsuch addressed this, or had any concern for public health in his opinion.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:11 am
Are courts going to sift through case by case of the virus?
Isn’t that what they’re doing here?

They already ruled on similar cases, and didn’t have to take up this one.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I meant distinct individual contraction from person A to person B.
If everyone who felt they contracted COVID because of what they felt was irresponsibility, we'd have a nightmare of legislation, based on subjectivity.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"I’m also afraid of the very nature of what’s happening: these folks might legit think they can pray away the covid, just like the gay."

So stupid.
These folks.
Almost as bad as MICH.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Churches are disproportionately responsible for the pandemic ? Im not religious, my church is the woods....but thqt seems like quite a stretch .

How are they anymore responsible than people who protests the lockdowns, who protests police brutality, who celebrate the lakers win, qho gathet foe Thanksgiving, who celebrate bidens win.

There is a lot of responsiblility to pass around.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

In terms of pandemic spread, not sure who’s condoning any of that other stuff either.

The only reason I didn’t go to any BLM protests personally was pandemic risk.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:41 am "I’m also afraid of the very nature of what’s happening: these folks might legit think they can pray away the covid, just like the gay."

So stupid.
These folks.
Almost as bad as MICH.
“I learned to accept it
Accept it with pride
For you don't count the dead
When God's on your side“
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

No george Carlin fans huh? I think he was terrific
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:49 am In terms of pandemic spread, not sure who’s condoning any of that other stuff either.

The only reason I didn’t go to any BLM protests personally was pandemic risk.
Bullshit. I read article after article about how 0 cases were tied to the protests. So either thats a ton of bullshit or the virus doesnt spread.....which obviously it does
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If you are against over generalizations and stereotyping of people then stand by it.
Otherwise you got nothin' at the table when arguing against Lobster/Walrus/HouseDivided/Count/dolomite when they make claims of the same sort.

65% of the US are Christian.
I'd wager under 5% of those are actually trying to pray away the COVID.