COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:08 am
ousdahl wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:19 am

Is there any way for a congregation to safely all drink from the same cup during a pandemic?

Youre really hung up on a small segment of ceremony that exists in a small segment of religion.
So I guess the answer to my question is as “no,” then.

And are you sure it’s not that small segment who is hung up?

So much so, in fact, that when the state tried to say there’s a greater good in not getting hung up in the small segment of ceremony, that small segment took it all the way to the Supreme Court!

(Oh, and I wonder how many covid infections in Brooklyn can be tracked and traced traced back to that small segment...)
Last edited by ousdahl on Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

You were right the first time. Its over the line. Wishing death and saying his family would be better off is over any normal persons line. At least he didnt say it in the name of god...
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:31 am
TDub wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:08 am
ousdahl wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:19 am

Is there any way for a congregation to safely all drink from the same cup during a pandemic?

Youre really hung up on a small segment of ceremony that exists in a small segment of religion.
So I guess the answer to my question is as “no,” then.

And are you sure it’s not that small segment who is hung up?

So much so, in fact, that when the state tried to say there’s a greater good in not getting hung up in the small segment of ceremony, that small segment took it all the way to the Supreme Court!

(Oh, and I wonder how many covid infections in Brooklyn can be tracked and traced traced back to that small segment...)
Are you sure it is only catholic churches wishing to stay open ? Are you aure they are all practicing communion in the same way currently? Or are you hung up on that segment?

Sort of like the people that were hung up on the looters in the protests?
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Governors can still restrict religious gatherings. They just can't restrict them in ways that are different from rules for businesses or government buildings.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:29 am
Cascadia wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:28 am
twocoach wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:26 am
Dude, that's way over the line.
I don’t think so. MICH is an evil piece of shit. Our species doesn’t need people like him.
Well then, it's way over my line. Pedophiles and rapists are evil pieces of shit. MICH is just an asshole.
It sounds like we agree that we should get rid of evil pieces of shit.

I think science deniers, racists and people who turn public health issues into political issues are evil pieces of shit.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:33 am Sort of like the people that were hung up on the looters in the protests?
Exactly what i'm getting at.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:38 am
Cascadia wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:28 am

I don’t think so. MICH is an evil piece of shit. Our species doesn’t need people like him.
Well then, it's way over my line. Pedophiles and rapists are evil pieces of shit. MICH is just an asshole.

I think science deniers, racists and people who turn public health issues into political issues are evil pieces of shit.
People who don't think like me should die.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:24 am Bringing in "white supremacist assholes" and "rapists" into a conversation about Christians in the US is the equivalent of someone who is arguing against gay marriage saying "what's next, marrying your goat?".
But, I’m afraid, there may likely be many correlations that can be made between religion and racism, and religion and misogyny.

Has there ever been any actual instance of a homosexual couple getting married and saying, “well that was nice, but now let’s try a goat!”
Last edited by ousdahl on Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

pdub wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:39 am
Cascadia wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:38 am

People who don't think like me should die.
lol

Science, racism and public health are not thoughts and opinions
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

twocoach wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:23 am
MICHHAWK wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:11 am Can the intolerantables please post an approved list of where they approve the rest of us can contract the sickness.
Can the deplorables please recognize that this is an attempt to both mitigate a serious public health crisis and allow people some sorts of freedoms to do what needs to be done? We'd prefer you and your loved ones not get COVID at all.

Whining about people's rights while ignoring people's responsibilities isn't freedom, it's adolescence.
I requested an instruction so the ignorant folk might know better. No need to result to name calling.

How are the ignorant folk supposed to know if they don’t ask.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:43 am Science, racism and public health are not thoughts and opinions
Fail.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:35 am Governors can still restrict religious gatherings. They just can't restrict them in ways that are different from rules for businesses or government buildings.
Which is dumb because they are used differently than businesses and government buildings.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Have you been to walmart? Or fred meyers, or sams?
Just Ledoux it
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

The Church, at least in my Diocese, does not offer wine at communion. It also restricts attendance. At my Parish, you have to sign up to go to Mass, and, if allowed, you are assigned where you can sit. Only families that live together can sit together. Joe coming home from college can't sit with his family.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:42 am
pdub wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:24 am Bringing in "white supremacist assholes" and "rapists" into a conversation about Christians in the US is the equivalent of someone who is arguing against gay marriage saying "what's next, marrying your goat?".
But, I’m afraid, there may likely be many correlations that can be made between religion and racism, and religion and misogyny.

Has there ever been any actual instance of a homosexual couple getting married and saying, “well that was nice, but now let’s try a goat!”
"But, I’m afraid, there may likely be many correlations that can be made between religion and racism, and religion and misogyny."

And there are correlations that can be made between black people and homicide and violent crime.
That doesn't mean the average black person is a murderer or criminal.
You may think this is an extreme reach ( because it is ) - but Christians aren't inherently rapists or white supremacists and bringing those talking points into a conversation looses the sense of context and seethes in bias, the very thing that many of you fight against.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:56 am Have you been to walmart? Or fred meyers, or sams?
Not in years.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Leawood wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:57 am The Church, at least in my Diocese, does not offer wine at communion. It also restricts attendance. At my Parish, you have to sign up to go to Mass, and, if allowed, you are assigned where you can sit. Only families that live together can sit together. Joe coming home from college can't sit with his family.
This is good input.

I dunno why you guys were tolerating my account of Catholicism, considering I haven’t been to church in years.

(I’m supposedly not allowed to receive communion no more, but that’s a whole different tangent)

Sounds like Brooklyn is taking precautions too - discouraging the hand holding during prayer, not offering the blood, only handing you the body wafers rather than let the priest put it in your mouth for you, etc.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:07 pm
Leawood wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:57 am The Church, at least in my Diocese, does not offer wine at communion. It also restricts attendance. At my Parish, you have to sign up to go to Mass, and, if allowed, you are assigned where you can sit. Only families that live together can sit together. Joe coming home from college can't sit with his family.
This is good input.

I dunno why you guys were tolerating my account of Catholicism, considering I haven’t been to church in years.

(I’m supposedly not allowed to receive communion no more, but that’s a whole different tangent)

Sounds like Brooklyn is taking precautions too - discouraging the hand holding during prayer, not offering the blood, only handing you the body wafers rather than let the priest put it in your mouth for you, etc.
Gee.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:58 am
ousdahl wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:42 am

"But, I’m afraid, there may likely be many correlations that can be made between religion and racism, and religion and misogyny."

And there are correlations that can be made between black people and homicide and violent crime.
That doesn't mean the average black person is a murderer or criminal.
You may think this is an extreme reach ( because it is ) - but Christians aren't inherently rapists or white supremacists and bringing those talking points into a conversation looses the sense of context and seethes in bias, the very thing that many of you fight against.
Yeah, this discussion blew up. We could make an effort to limit it to concerns of religious liberty in the context of a pandemic.

But even more than specific issues such as racism, in my experience the deeper you got into religion, the more xenophobic it got. Just in this general “us and them” sort of of mentality. Historically, religion is just sorta tribalism, but now on some grander scale.

It’s not necessarily in every church or among every practitioner, but it’s there. And that mindset can be corrupted, expanded shit to like racism etc., even used to justify the prejudice.

I got ostracized among Catholic friends in college cuz I also had a group of friends who partied. I got even more ostracized when I suggested, Jesus hung out with literal prostitutes, so why do you make such an effort to shield yourself from my other friends just cuz we might drink 15 beers each on a Tuesday?”
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Xenophobia is about other nationalities not about religion or lifestyle.
Just Ledoux it