COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Will be at least 2 years without seeing some of our closest family.

Directly related to US's (lack of) response to COVID-19.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:03 pm Will be at least 2 years without seeing some of our closest family.

and the attitudes of people like mich
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:03 pm Will be at least 2 years without seeing some of our closest family.

The sickness has only been around for about 9 months. How is the sickness directly the cause for not seeing your closest family for 24 months?
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:07 pm
Who are people “like mich?” People that visit their parents?
Deleted User 89

yep, that’s exactly what i meant

quite the rocket scientist you are
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Coming up on nearly a year since seeing my parents and in-laws - they live in a different part of the world and visiting them requires an effort. Usually they visit us or we visit them in alternate years, so wasn’t much of a problem. My wife made it a point to go see her parents about every six months or so because they were getting to an age where lengthy travel has become a barrier. I used to travel so much for work that it wasn’t difficult to tack on a few days at the end of each trip to visit them. Fortunately both my parents and in-laws live in the same city.

Earlier this year my wife told her dad that she was going to go and be with him when he turned 90 in the end of May, but couldn’t due the pandemic. Unfortunately he passed away in June (unrelated to pandemic) and she hasn’t seen her mom in person since. Watched the funeral on FaceTime. Don’t know if and when we’ll be able to go. I’m just hoping that we would be able to see our parents sometime next year.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

zsn wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:24 pm Coming up on nearly a year since seeing my parents and in-laws - they live in a different part of the world and visiting them requires an effort. Usually they visit us or we visit them in alternate years, so wasn’t much of a problem. My wife made it a point to go see her parents about every six months or so because they were getting to an age where lengthy travel has become a barrier. I used to travel so much for work that it wasn’t difficult to tack on a few days at the end of each trip to visit them. Fortunately both my parents and in-laws live in the same city.

Earlier this year my wife told her dad that she was going to go and be with him when he turned 90 in the end of May, but couldn’t due the pandemic. Unfortunately he passed away in June (unrelated to pandemic) and she hasn’t seen her mom in person since. Watched the funeral on FaceTime. Don’t know if and when we’ll be able to go. I’m just hoping that we would be able to see our parents sometime next year.
Ugh. That sucks.

Trying to come up with options, we offered to pay to bring them here since we aren't and won't be allowed there for a long time. Paraphrasing their answer: "Hard pass."
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:07 pm

with the saddest part being, Merica tried everything - everything! - from pretending the pandemic didn’t exist, to pretending the pandemic was already over.
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:29 pm
zsn wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:24 pm Coming up on nearly a year since seeing my parents and in-laws - they live in a different part of the world and visiting them requires an effort. Usually they visit us or we visit them in alternate years, so wasn’t much of a problem. My wife made it a point to go see her parents about every six months or so because they were getting to an age where lengthy travel has become a barrier. I used to travel so much for work that it wasn’t difficult to tack on a few days at the end of each trip to visit them. Fortunately both my parents and in-laws live in the same city.

Ugh. That sucks.

Trying to come up with options, we offered to pay to bring them here since we aren't and won't be allowed there for a long time. Paraphrasing their answer: "Hard pass."
i feel for both of you

i guess i should feel fortunate my folks are just a couple states away vs. across an ocean
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:38 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:29 pm

Ugh. That sucks.

i feel for both of you

i guess i should feel fortunate my folks are just a couple states away vs. across an ocean
Please direct all sympathy towards zsn, because that is awful. We have our health.

But, it's also why I get cranky when people talk shit on smartphones or tech. It's incredibly magical, especially during these times.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

That sucks zsn, it must be really hard for you and your wife.
My Mom turned 90 this summer. I did go see her over Labor Day weekend.
She's asked us and my daughter's family (ie her great grand daughter) to come to KC for Christmas as she's sure it's going to be her last.
Currently the plan is to go. That could change though.
Broham
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:42 pm Please direct all sympathy towards zsn, because that is awful. We have our health.
agreed

though, you’re both entitled to more sympathy than i
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Thanks all. Really appreciate the good thoughts!! Everyone is dealing with difficult situations in their own, some like mine are overtly difficult and others are less obvious. They are no less difficult. We’re fortunate enough to have them around with their faculties mostly intact. We’re fortunate enough to have nieces and nephews who are able to jump in and help if needed. We’re fortunate enough to have tech-savvy friends and family who are able to assist with video calls for birthdays and anniversaries.

Once again, thanks for the kind words! We are hanging on to the hope we’ll get to see our parents sometime soon.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah I feel for you guys, even more than my own sitch.

I mean, at least in the vacuum of me and my parents, having a valid excuse to not visit combined with a rare told-you-so on mom is a win-win.

Now if I could just find a way to get out of her FaceTime calls...
Deleted User 89

on that slightly more positive note, i will say that it was quite amusing watching my folks try to navigate a zoom thanksgiving
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

zsn - I'm sorry to hear/read about your father in law!
I'm sincerely sorry for everyone else who has suffered hardships in terms of not being able to be with their loved ones. It's been a brutal past 9 months.

On a somewhat lighter note, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 years ago I used to eat breakfast at the same place as Rick (before he would grab his coffee and go outside to smoke his cigarette/s).
He was always an enthusiastic guy but this is the first time in 20+ years I have seen him lose his shit.
I'm torn if I agree or disagree with him but as someone who has friends and family members who own and have owned restaurants, I am extremely compassionate to their and their employee's plight/s.

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Il Duce
Broham
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Our county’s going to “red level” restrictions to hopefully try and curb the spread before Christmas. Carry-out only at restaurants, no indoor gatherings, and lodging rentals limited to one family household per property. Not sure how they’ll enforce the last two.

No sir, we wouldn’t cancel on you just cuz of a silly covid restriction, we’d rather have your business, so we like totally believe you when you say your group of 20 is all from the same household.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:40 am There is uncontrolled community spread because the sickness is gonna do what the sickness is gonna do. We know this now.

They can lock us down. Pile up the restrictions. Kill the economy. The sickness don’t care.
I’ll just leave this here for you.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »