COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
twocoach

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:22 am
jfish26 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:10 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:01 am KU Med administering vaccines as soon as Friday.
The New York Times has a tool to estimate where you are in line. I'm like 283,000,001st.

Mrs. Fish is an essential worker, which bumps her up. Hard to say whether her high BP will push her even higher.
I've been told that lawyers are essential workers in Missouri.
Makes sense if they are required to go to court.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:24 am

The New York Times has a tool to estimate where you are in line. I'm like 283,000,001st.

Mrs. Fish is an essential worker, which bumps her up. Hard to say whether her high BP will push her even higher.
I saw the Wall St. Journal advocating for people like LeBron and Mahomes to get early access, so that they can set an example of the vaccine being safe, etc.

That's fine as far as it goes, but you know every single sports team owner read that as step one to everyone in sports being moved to the front of the line.
i get the sentiment...Elvis publicly took the polio vaccine for the same reason

but, three former presidents are doing the same
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:48 am

And this guy is not, thank goodness.

I've appeared in court as a lawyer exactly one time. Right after I passed the bar, a friend got a speeding ticket. This was before you could do lawyer things on those online.

So I walked from my office to the courthouse at the appropriate time, and made my appearance. I was a very young-looking 25, and the judge (understandably) was somewhat credulous as to me being a lawyer.

It didn't help matters that I just wore what I typically wear to work (being slacks, a dress shirt and, it being October or something, a golf pullover).

I was red fucking meat for her honor on this sartorial fuckup.

She read me the goddamned riot act. My buddy's ticket was amended down, but I've never recovered. No more favors for anyone.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Courts up and running, whether in-person or virtual, is absolutely essential especially when it comes to the criminal, family, etc. dockets.

My office chair, not the same story.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:51 am

I saw the Wall St. Journal advocating for people like LeBron and Mahomes to get early access, so that they can set an example of the vaccine being safe, etc.

That's fine as far as it goes, but you know every single sports team owner read that as step one to everyone in sports being moved to the front of the line.

Right - I'm good with a few people getting it, for example-setting purposes.

But when a few becomes, what, 40-200 people per sports organization at a minimum, plus media? All of the sudden you're getting into mid-five figures' worth of vaccines for low-risk people.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:53 am

And this guy is not, thank goodness.

I've appeared in court as a lawyer exactly one time. Right after I passed the bar, a friend got a speeding ticket. This was before you could do lawyer things on those online.

So I walked from my office to the courthouse at the appropriate time, and made my appearance. I was a very young-looking 25, and the judge (understandably) was somewhat credulous as to me being a lawyer.

It didn't help matters that I just wore what I typically wear to work (being slacks, a dress shirt and, it being October or something, a golf pullover).

I was red fucking meat for her honor on this sartorial fuckup.

She read me the goddamned riot act. My buddy's ticket was amended down, but I've never recovered. No more favors for anyone.
If it was the city judges, they have a way nastier attitude.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Somewhere, there's a few members of the bar who get to share this story from an entirely more comfortable perspective.
Deleted User 89

jfish26 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:56 am
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:51 am

Right - I'm good with a few people getting it, for example-setting purposes.

But when a few becomes, what, 40-200 people per sports organization at a minimum, plus media? All of the sudden you're getting into mid-five figures' worth of vaccines for low-risk people.
totally agree
Deleted User 89

i’m behind 257.2 million nationally, 2.5 million utahans, and 881,300 in salt lake county
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m 3rd, behind Lebron and Mahomes.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Link?
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Of course you of all posters would doubt that I’m an elite athletic icon

doyelmeter-11
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:18 pm Of course you of all posters would doubt that I’m an elite athletic icon

doyelmeter-11
Competitive fly fishing live on ESPN The Ocho.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I don’t know if you guys are joking about lawyers getting vaccinated (rough few days at work) but my employment-lawyer friend who nearly died (for a while we thought he was gone), spent nearly 3 months in the ICU, likely contracted the virus in court. So there’s that. Of course that was in early March when we didn’t know that much.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:32 pm
ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:18 pm Of course you of all posters would doubt that I’m an elite athletic icon

doyelmeter-11
Competitive fly fishing live on ESPN The Ocho.
Id watch that
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I saw a report this morning that 55% of surveyed FDNY firefighters would not take a Covid vaccine if offered.

Too much gets stupidly forced through the 9/11 lens, but: we're experiencing 9/11 losses every single day, and it is terribly sad that a majority of FDNY firefighters won't take a shot to prevent it.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

zsn wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:13 am I don’t know if you guys are joking about lawyers getting vaccinated (rough few days at work) but my employment-lawyer friend who nearly died (for a while we thought he was gone), spent nearly 3 months in the ICU, likely contracted the virus in court. So there’s that. Of course that was in early March when we didn’t know that much.
My joke was about lawyers being considered essential workers across the country--which, I get because of criminal dockets and such--but I've seen too often firm heads using that as a basis to require mandatory office attendance for lawyers that are not doing life and death work, like myself.

Having done 2 jury trials during COVID and a dozen or so virtual hearings, I can absolutely say that the physical presence of most lawyers is not needed. Anyone getting deathly ill from COVID contracted at a routine hearing for an employment law case is pretty shameful from the Court's perspective.
Deleted User 89

jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:05 am I saw a report this morning that 55% of surveyed FDNY firefighters would not take a Covid vaccine if offered.

Too much gets stupidly forced through the 9/11 lens, but: we're experiencing 9/11 losses every single day, and it is terribly sad that a majority of FDNY firefighters won't take a shot to prevent it.
couple that general sentiment of anti-vaxers with the unknown of just how long immunity lasts if one gets the vaccine, and we could be in for a dire situation long past 2021

and that’s just from a public health perspective. who knows how bad the economic impacts will be
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:36 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:05 am I saw a report this morning that 55% of surveyed FDNY firefighters would not take a Covid vaccine if offered.

couple that general sentiment of anti-vaxers with the unknown of just how long immunity lasts if one gets the vaccine, and we could be in for a dire situation long past 2021

and that’s just from a public health perspective. who knows how bad the economic impacts will be
I'm not breaking any new ground here, but: corporate and institutional (i.e., colleges/universities, public utilities, etc.) America is going to have to save us from ourselves.

Of course, it's going to be a bitter fucking day when the Court inevitably rules 5-4 that, say, Delta can't require proof of vaccine as a condition to boarding, because of "religious objections."
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Perhaps not so stupid question time.
What workers aren't "essential" in some capacity and who gets to be the ultimate authority on what is and what isn't essential?
Should a person who is a Fry cooker at McDonalds not be deemed essential? Why not? That person helps feed people.
People working at The Gap are helping people be/get clothed.
Etc., etc., etc........