COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by jfish26 »

Grandma wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:44 am Perhaps not so stupid question time.
What workers aren't "essential" in some capacity and who gets to be the ultimate authority on what is and what isn't essential?
Should a person who is a Fry cooker at McDonalds not be deemed essential? Why not? That person helps feed people.
People working at The Gap are helping people be/get clothed.
Etc., etc., etc........
I'm pretty sure foodservice workers are pretty universally regarded as essential. I don't think the same is true for non-grocery/non-pharmacy retailers.

That's why Target and Walmart and so on have generally been allowed to stay open even when other retail has been shut down.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Ìf you are:

Young
Healthy
Have no pre existing conditions

You are at almost no risk.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

comforting for the families of the 100+ kids under 21 that have died of covid
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Grandma wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:44 am Perhaps not so stupid question time.
What workers aren't "essential" in some capacity and who gets to be the ultimate authority on what is and what isn't essential?
Should a person who is a Fry cooker at McDonalds not be deemed essential? Why not? That person helps feed people.
People working at The Gap are helping people be/get clothed.
Etc., etc., etc........
I can only speak to where I live: It seemed the list of essential workers was so broad at the beginning that it included everyone except for personal services like hairdressers, masseuses and then certain service industry like bars/restaurants. I get how you can exclude those, but when it's literally everyone else but those few, it sure made people feel singled out. Especially when everyone was right to be skeptical that the fed govt would do the right thing and help the people first and foremost.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:11 am Ìf you are:

Young
Healthy
Have no pre existing conditions

You are at almost no risk.
That's cool and all, but what about the people who carry it over to the older generation? How about that population? How much risk are they in?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

If you are:

Older
Not very healthy
Have pre existing conditions

Then you have to stay home, take extra precautions and stay safe.

My 10 year old grandson should not be locked out of school and his athletics because his 90 year old great Grammy is at a greater risk.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

But now what happens when a younger person wants to come see their parents and grandparents? Didn't you say that everyone should see their family? Or did I misunderstand your twisted thought process?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

We did not know any better back in March April May. So we get a pass. Not true today. We know better. We don’t get a pass.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:37 am But now what happens when a younger person wants to come see their parents and grandparents?
Social distance. Wear your mask. Duh. Where you been these last 9 months.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:43 am We did not know any better back in March April May. So we get a pass. Not true today. We know better. We don’t get a pass.
Who's "we" here?

Whatever. I suppose I shouldn't interrupt your coming to grips with past denial.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:32 am If you are:

Older
Not very healthy
Have pre existing conditions

Then you have to stay home, take extra precautions and stay safe.

My 10 year old grandson should not be locked out of school and his athletics because his 90 year old great Grammy is at a greater risk.
It sure is easy for Republicans to restrict what other people can do when they find themselves unaffected by the restrictions.

As actual real life has proven, it is nearly impossible to completely remove anyone's interaction with the outside world. Breaking news, most 90 year olds need care by others and you cannot have all of the others pretending like covid doesn't exist without wiping out the most vulnerable.
So I'll take a hard pass on your proposed genocide, thank you very much.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

twocoach wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:15 pm
As actual real life has proven, it is nearly impossible to completely remove anyone's interaction with the outside world.
Yikes. I hope that is not what you are suggesting we do to fight the enemy. Completely removing interaction seems like an overreaction.
Deleted User 89

it’s not
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:27 pm
As actual real life has proven, it is nearly impossible to completely remove anyone's interaction with the outside world.
Yikes. I hope that is not what you are suggesting we do to fight the enemy. Completely removing interaction seems like an overreaction.
And we are completely removing interaction how? While it may not be face to face, you’re still interacting, you’re still talking to people, still “seeing” people. Just because you can’t hug someone doesn’t mean interaction is taken away.

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:51 pm
And we are completely removing interaction how? While it may not be face to face, you’re still interacting, you’re still talking to people, still “seeing” people. Just because you can’t hug someone doesn’t mean interaction is taken away.
Exactly. As long as the folks wear their mask, social distance, wash their hands and the “at risk” take their precautions, the young people should be going to school and playing their sports.

It’s called COMMON SENSE. It’s how we used to get by before the millennials and the snowflakes and the cancel culture took over.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Eh, that's the only way for what you are saying here to actually work:
"Then you have to stay home, take extra precautions and stay safe."
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

We have done everything they have asked/forced/mandated us to do.

How is that working out for us? Serious question.
Deleted User 89

um, who is “we”?

i see people daily continuing to NOT do everything that has been asked/forced/mandated
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

We all know that mostly everyone is doing their part.

We are doing our portion. The sickness don’t care.