Royals

Other Sports.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Royals

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:49 am I respect most the career arc. Do you know how goddamned hard it's got to be to the golden child, can't-miss, next George Brett...and then miss...and then become a damn fine big leaguer (and a champion) to boot?

Incredible.
That's the biggest thing I've taken away from his career. He was can't miss, then he missed, badly, then came back at an entirely new position and became the best defensive LF in MLB history.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I support Gordo for the HoF for the same reason I supported Brooks Robinson, Frank White and Ozzie Smith. I think he played defense at the highest possible level and impacted the game and the AL championship seasons enormously.

I think Gordo is the greatest LF of all time. Paul Blair in CF. Dewey Evans in RF. Defense isn’t considered enough IMHO.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Um.
Greatest LF of all time?
No.

Argument for greatest defensive LF of all time, yes. We do realize Barry Bonds played LF, no?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Defense was what I was talking about. Bonds was great; Alex at his best had a more accurate arm on assists. Ozzie of course is in the HoF and so is Brooks with so-so batting. White looks good in comparison to both. So does Blair. Blair was damned to be on an all-star roster and got overlooked. I think the Hall needs to look at defense harder for players who aren't in media centers. The curse of Buck O'Neil.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Fair.
Gordon with his gold gloves and recent detailed metrics could be argued as a top 3 defensive LF all time.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:47 pm Fair.
Gordon with his gold gloves and recent detailed metrics could be argued as a top 3 defensive LF all time.
It’s possible. Just weird to figure out what that means in the grand scheme of things. Great fielders don’t usually play LF. It’s like saying someone is the best shot-blocking guard ever.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Nobody calling him the best defensive outfielder of all time, so I don't think it really matters much in grand scheme of things. He was a slower guy than most at CF, so couldn't play CF and LF was a good spot for him, and I think he was one of the best at fielding that position.

I think the argument you might be trying to make Fish is that he can't be considered among the best defensive outfielders, which is true, but he can be considered an outstanding defensive LF, one of the best, but maybe like the 25th best defensive OF of all time, ya know?

I probably don't make much sense, but I think it's perfectly fine to consider him elite at his position on defense, but not have to compare him to Willie Mays or anything.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:15 am Nobody calling him the best defensive outfielder of all time, so I don't think it really matters much in grand scheme of things. He was a slower guy than most at CF, so couldn't play CF and LF was a good spot for him, and I think he was one of the best at fielding that position.

I think the argument you might be trying to make Fish is that he can't be considered among the best defensive outfielders, which is true, but he can be considered an outstanding defensive LF, one of the best, but maybe like the 25th best defensive OF of all time, ya know?

I probably don't make much sense, but I think it's perfectly fine to consider him elite at his position on defense, but not have to compare him to Willie Mays or anything.
That's exactly right, yes.

I do think he was the best I've seen at throwing guys out from left, specifically at 2nd, and I can't help but think growing up a 3rd baseman helped in that regard.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

His speed was average. But his positioning was superb. A really great outfielder. He and Cain changed many of the important games in the run to the flag. Gordo’s best plays were phenomenal compared to his peers. For a while there, he would be on the Top 10 several times a week. You play where your skills dictate. Gordo was okay even in CF because of his reads. I think he was the best ever in terms of getting to balls he had no right to catch. That extra step matters when you aren’t blessed with blazing speed. We’ll miss him in LF. It was mostly platoon city there before Gordo. Poquette had a lot of skill until he crashed into the wall. Gordo always came back strong.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

On a side note, it really stinks that his last year was a year not involving fans. Fans would have packed that LF section of seating all year and cheered for him nonstop. He deserved a better send off.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Carlos Santana to the Royals 7M for 2021 and 10.5M for 2022.

Love the signing at that price. Walks a ton which is what Moore wants. Sherman familiar with him from time with Indians. Has some power still left. Will be full time 1B. Dozier to 3rd.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It's a nice signing. Very Morales-ish.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

And can field a bit too. About the same hitter as Morales with more value in the field. Struggled in 2020, but could have been the weird season. Outstanding value player from 2016-2019.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

He rakes at Kauffman.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Best numbers of any park for him.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

And instantly the most patient Royals hitter in a generation. And a switch-hitter to boot.

Just a very, very good signing.

You can see a path to a meaningful August/September this season. A lot needs to go right, but not everything.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

CWS is all in. Not sure how that affects the Royals chasing.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Surprised. But gratified to see him sign. Pitching is really coming together. Could make a small run. Side note: Gordo won more platinum gloves IIRC than any OFer with his final one.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Royals likely lineup:
1. Whit
2. Mondesi
3. Salvy
4. Santana
5. Soler
6. Dozier
7. Cordero
8. Taylor
9. Lopez

Rotation:
Keller
Duffy
Singer
Junis
Minor
Bubic a mid-season call-up, Minor moves to pen when that happens.

That's an impressive team. Good for maybe 3rd in the Central. But a really good building block for future seasons.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

There's a lot to like. Even more if Lynch and Kowar can help.

Everything, though - everything - is on Mondesi.