ousdahl

Virtual office Christmas parties

Post by ousdahl »

Ugh
NewtonHawk11

Re: Virtual office Christmas parties

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Nope
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yup.
:/
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Virtual or in-person, Christmas parties are totally different now than when I started practicing over 30 years ago.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Just a terrible idea this year.

Send a nice email and say that any extra money realized will go to staff.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Yeah, we have one next Monday for the CFO division. Can't wait :). And Leawood, I know what you mean, when I started working in 1996 for an investment company in St. Louis, getting hammered was the norm, then everyone driving home smashed.....good times.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ours is a week from today.

We’re all getting g presents we aren’t allowed to open until we’re on zoom in front of the whole company.

I’m sooo tempted to prank my manager with some ringer gift. Swap it out with something goofy and be like, why the eff did you gift me this _________??

(...what should it be?)
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Thankfully, the company I work for has not thought of this.
Broham
shindig

Post by shindig »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:26 am Ours is a week from today.

We’re all getting g presents we aren’t allowed to open until we’re on zoom in front of the whole company.

I’m sooo tempted to prank my manager with some ringer gift. Swap it out with something goofy and be like, why the eff did you gift me this _________??

(...what should it be?)
Get him a My Little Pony doll...lol. Or a Jayhawk if he's not a KU guy.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

(...what should it be?)
time to make a run to Spencer’s

(is it even around anymore?)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

(...what should it be?)
35 years ago I was working in the engineering group of a now defunct architecture office in KC, they did mostly low end strip malls and Toys R Us stores. We gave out holiday gifts the second year I was there and I drew the name of a VP. There was always tension between the engineering group and the architects. I wrapped up his present and there was a card on the outside. It read, "Every architect strives to build a monument to their ego at some point. Until you find the client willing to pay for yours, here is something to help you get started in case you have to build your own." When he opened the heavy box, inside there was a 12 inch length of a steel wide flange section. I laughed really hard, but otherwise the room was pretty quiet. I guess the joke landed a little too close to home for most of them. My sense of humor did serve me well years later when I met Frank Gehry though.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Lol.

I should clarify it’s not like white elephant or secret Santa or some shit where I’m supposed to get something for someone else. Management is furnishing a gift for every employee. We’re not supposed to open it until the zoom call. So I could wrap something ridiculous in a similar package and make everyone else think management got me something crazy.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

You should read the professionalism thread.
Broham
shindig

Post by shindig »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:31 pm Lol.

I should clarify it’s not like white elephant or secret Santa or some shit where I’m supposed to get something for someone else. Management is furnishing a gift for every employee. We’re not supposed to open it until the zoom call. So I could wrap something ridiculous in a similar package and make everyone else think management got me something crazy.
That would be funny. Wrap up an iPad or iPhone or something. We all got to select something from the Company website for a Christmas present. It was all company logo stuff like a Yeti thermos or a fleece blanket or a Company tote bag...lol
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

my company announced during our townhall meeting this morning that all budgets for christmas/holiday parties were going to be donated to local food pantries...this includes multiple sites here in the US, in the UK and in Australia

made me smile
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Cool
Broham
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:26 pm my company announced during our townhall meeting this morning that all budgets for christmas/holiday parties were going to be donated to local food pantries...this includes multiple sites here in the US, in the UK and in Australia

made me smile
That's a fantastic idea. Make the best of the current situation rather than try to make things normal when they aren't. Good to hear.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:26 pm my company announced during our townhall meeting this morning that all budgets for christmas/holiday parties were going to be donated to local food pantries...this includes multiple sites here in the US, in the UK and in Australia

made me smile
That’s awesome.

ousie: get something from the As Seen on TV store - Snuggie, shamwow or something and pack it up
shindig

Post by shindig »

We had our virtual holiday party on Monday. It was ok I guess. There was a comedian from NYC and our CFO division was broken into 8 zoom groups that competed against each other for the trivia part. The comedian guy was pretty funny. The best thing was we got the afternoon off, which really isn't a big deal anymore working from home. It would have been better if it was a Friday and got the afternoon off. I ended up working on my performance review to get it knocked off my "to do" list before I'm out the rest of the year.