KU (+3) @ Tech

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: KU (+3) @ Tech

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

No idea why he goes to it so much. It does nothing for him or us.

There's not a opposing coach out there that is saying the day before the game, "we can't have McCormack catch the ball 6-12 feet from the rim and beat us with his turn around/fade-away jumpers."
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:48 am He’s big and really athletic, actually. That can be useful.
This x1000. He's clumsy sure, but he's also one of the most pure athletic bigs that Self has had here. Top that off with that he can shoot FTs well and can hit a jumper here and there. That can be useful. He's just not good enough to be a back to the basket scorer like Dok, Joel or even Landen Lucas was. But he can do things that many other big guys just cannot do and KU needs to take advantage of that.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dave could do a better job of realizing the double team.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Sorry if already said but last night was a very enticing version of Ochai Agbaji. Man, to see him finally play an aggressive, efficient, effective game like that was a real glimpse into the potential he has. If he can figure out a way to have those types of games even 30% of the time he plays he would be an All American. That kid is so damn talented. If he was meaner he'd be amazing.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Some of that is on the players who are on the court by calling it out or cutting when their guy doubles. Again, if he has the ball with his back to the basket, he won't see most of the double teams.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i think Dave needs some ballet or something

he just looks so mechanical and jerky-jerky when he moves/makes moves

i’ve always thought he had the potential to be Simeon-esque, but he just isn’t fluid enough (yet?)
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:03 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:48 am He’s big and really athletic, actually. That can be useful.
This x1000. He's clumsy sure, but he's also one of the most pure athletic bigs that Self has had here. Top that off with that he can shoot FTs well and can hit a jumper here and there. That can be useful. He's just not good enough to be a back to the basket scorer like Dok, Joel or even Landen Lucas was. But he can do things that many other big guys just cannot do and KU needs to take advantage of that.

I'm not sure about that. Not much of a lane intimidator on opposing drives, weak rebounder, weak shot blocker, few assists, inconsistent offense, and few power moves to the rim to draw fouls.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I think when Dave goes strong, there is usually a flop. Gun shy fade aways. Last night’s officiating was brutal. Cost them 10 points or so I’ll bet.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Dave got “bobby knighted” a number of times in the gonzaga game...that’s really all it takes, is a good head fake/pump fake, to alleviate the worry and possibility of a charge

i don’t know that he even has those moves in his repertoire
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Sparko wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:19 am I think when Dave goes strong, there is usually a flop. Gun shy fade aways. Last night’s officiating was brutal. Cost them 10 points or so I’ll bet.
I’d rather have a big man turning it over by trying to power his way to the rim, than effectively turn it over by bricking roiboi fadeaways.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yikes

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

It's a small sample size and it's being dragged down by his first three games, which were complete garbage.

Games 1-3 he shot 25% and had 3 TO/game
Since he has shot 47% and has 1.8 TO/game - still not good, but not historically bad.

His efficiency will improve and his usage will come down.

He needs to get better post position on offense. And in general needs to calm down. He clearly is at his worst when he's pressing.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

That is what I see in DMac. He seems to be needlessly speeding things up for himself.
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

I hope you guys are right, right now I see a lot of burger flipping in the future for this burger boy
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Here’s a fun thought, especially after last night’s ugly fest:

Remember when this roster scored 90 on the top ranked team?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Tech has the no. 1 defense according to Kenpom.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Without looking at the box scores, I would assume that game against the top ranked team had a few more possessions in it too.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NDballer13 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:22 pm Without looking at the box scores, I would assume that game against the top ranked team had a few more possessions in it too.
A shit ton more. CBB Reference had a pace of 81.7 for KU in that Gonzaga game. 67 for the Tech game.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The stats confirm the train wreck we have seen. But Dok learned to close to the rim. DMac needs to learn the same thing.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:20 pm Yikes

He ends more possessions than Garza.