COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:34 am There’s at least one great answer, and you already said it:

release most of the non-violent offenders starting yesterday
But even that raises another question: why incarcerate in the first place then?

Drugs and prostitution are often tied to violent crime, so you inevitably have non-violent offenders serving time but have violent priors.

It would just be helpful if god was real and could be reached via email.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Why incarcerate in the first place then?

Cuz the for-profit prison business model is surprisingly similar to the hospitality business model:

heads on beds.

The only real difference may be, that inmates are less likely to request an early checkin.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

would anyone here be ok with a convicted felon, same demographics as yourself, being ahead of you in line for vaccination just because of the conditions present in the prison system?
Last edited by Deleted User 89 on Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We're getting way out in left field now, but I'm not a fan of for-profit prisons, but don't think that's the overall issue.

There is too much human error infiltrating the system with the US sentencing guidelines that came out of the War on Drugs, jaded prosecutors/public defenders/judges, and, yes, racism.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^^

Jamari’s dad got caught with drugs.

Sentenced to life.

It took the president of the United States to commute it down to “just” 20 years.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I forgot the big one: funding.

Prosecuting harshly will get you elected Vice President of the US.

The indigent accused are just the egg shells you need to break to make the omelet.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Certainly anyone in jail for selling weed, no matter how much of it, should be released.
I'm not on board with people who deal in fentanyl/heroin not getting punished.
I'm also not on board with people who, say, are in jail for burglary just automatically being released.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:17 pm
I'm not on board with people who deal in fentanyl/heroin not getting punished.
I wonder whether the Sackler family has received vaccinations yet
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Sackler's should be jailed.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Returning to topic: spoke to my sister yesterday who oversees a large portion of the funeral homes in Wichita. January is always busy because many people hold onto life for the holidays then go. But, nothing is like this year. She ordered a freezer semi this week to stack bodies in. The numbers over next couple of months will be staggering.

She's also awaiting dose #2 of the vax b/c there's still a belief you can contract from dead people.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:49 am would anyone here be ok with a convicted felon, same demographics as yourself, being ahead of you in line for vaccination just because of the conditions present in the prison system?
Yes. I’d be OK with this
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:36 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:49 am would anyone here be ok with a convicted felon, same demographics as yourself, being ahead of you in line for vaccination just because of the conditions present in the prison system?
Yes. I’d be OK with this
Yes, and it's not just the conditions. Your average adult male in the prison system is likely to be in poorer health than I am, with poorer nutrition and less access to care (which will be inferior).

I also have a huge advantage in risk management, both as to risks to me and risks from me.

The "good" news, such as it is, is that by time time my number is called, we're going to be at a place where there isn't supply scarcity.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

My parents are scheduled for shot 1 next week.

I tried a joke about how we went from being the last family to have Internet growing up, to having my parents now broadcasting WiFi networks direct from the microchip.

They didn’t laugh.

Maybe they’ll get the joke if I try unplugging it and plugging it back in.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Sure.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:13 pm My parents are scheduled for shot 1 next week.

I tried a joke about how we went from being the last family to have Internet growing up, to having my parents now broadcasting WiFi networks direct from the microchip.

They didn’t laugh.

Maybe they’ll get the joke if I try unplugging it and plugging it back in.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

If any of the rioters were from Manhattan, KS, I would bet they will never get caught as cell phone reception, the internet, and emails don't arrive until noon on Fridays via the Wells Fargo wagon.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Unless they're coming from Chicago or Dallas?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

TDub wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:39 pm
Sure.
Same.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:54 am ^^^^

Jamari’s dad got caught with drugs.

Sentenced to life.

It took the president of the United States to commute it down to “just” 20 years.
Love Jamari. But it isn't like his dad got caught selling nickle bags of weed.

Like pdub said above, imo there is a very big difference between selling weed (any amount) and selling heroin/fentanyl and/or other harder drugs.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Cocaine, meh. (It was nonviolent too, right?)

Yeah it’s a bigger deal than weed, but no it doesn’t deserve a life sentence either.