"Flexible PTO" at Work

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: "Flexible PTO" at Work

Post by Deleted User 89 »

sounds like you need to get outta Colorado more lol

i’ve really only had positive experiences fishing waters here in Utah, in South Dakota and in New Mexico

really wanna stretch my legs though and get up more to the northwest

it could just be my lack of skill, but fishing in west, at least river fishing, is more challenging than the midwest...unless, of course, you’re trying to fly fish on a windy Kansas day
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, the grass is always greener.

If I was fishing in the Midwest, I’d be complaining about the good ol’ boy culture and the lack of scenery.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i’d be complaining about the humidity, tics and mosquitos
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh yeah, that shit.

If it’s hot enough to be humid, you should prob be night fishing anyway.

skeeters are as bad as anywhere on the upper Colorado in July

Ticks are def worse in the Midwest, but either way only a problem in the foliage surrounding water, not the water itself.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Midwest is good for large mouth bass and catfish. And beer drinking while you do it. Every other category goes to the west. Or south depending on the target....

Then again....could argue south is takes those categories from the midwest too.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

There’s Midwest, and upper Midwest too.

Sprinkle in smallmouth, pike, musky, walleye, perch. Eventually you’ll get trout and Lakers too.

The Great Lakes get good salmon and steelhead runs, but a lot of debate whether they can fairly be called “steelhead”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Panfish are the easiest, and in that regard, the most fun. They don’t shy away like trout do when the fishery is pounded.

Of course, trout can be like that too, if you can find somewhere they don’t get pressured. Be ready to hike, though.

Here at, say, the public access stretch on the Colorado near Parshall, wildlife biologists estimate the average trout is caught anywhere between 15-40+ times a year. They just don’t fight the same. An unpressured fish fights like hell, in the way that only a wild creature naive to human hooks can fight. These fish are more like, “dangit, not again, let’s get this over with.”

It’s not worth the energy to them any more. They fight more like a wet sock dragging through the water, which is to say, they don’t fight much at all. They concede in hopes of being unhooked that much sooner.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:35 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:13 am How do you figure fishing in the Midwest comparatively sucks?
the scenery alone

and c’mon, don’t tell me you’d pick the midwest over the mountain west
Why would you ruin enjoying the mountain scenery by including fish-torturing 😂😂😂😂
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Ha.

I’ve thought about this, and still have conflicts.

but here’s how my uncle explained it:

“If that fish really didn’t take the time to notice it’s not really a bug, it’s just a bunch of feathers and fur on a hook, that’s his own fault.”
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:14 pm Ha.

I’ve thought about this, and still have conflicts.

but here’s how my uncle explained it:

“If that fish really didn’t take the time to notice it’s not really a bug, it’s just a bunch of feathers and fur on a hook, that’s his own fault.”
You mean your uncle is holding fish to higher expectations than MAGAistas? By this logic we should stick a hook in lobby and MICH’s mouth and thrash them around a bit 🤣
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what's he biting on?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Crappie taste best.
Broham
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^^
sweet lord yes!

Dunno how I neglected to mention. I've bragged about my crappie po' boys here before, and with good reason. the kinda thing that when served to folks who don't even like to eat fish, and they end up asking for seconds. Meat so light and flaky that, when breaded and fried, eats less like animal protein and more like a fresh donut.

crappie fishing is kind of a different game in itself, and knowing where the structure is in a lake. Usually, you're either on them or you're not. No bites on the submerged trees around 10 feet deep, try other structure around 15 feet deep, and end up limiting out.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:37 pm The Great Lakes get good salmon and steelhead runs, but a lot of debate whether they can fairly be called “steelhead”

nm.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This could go in the tourists thread, except yall killed it.

It’s hilarious what some people use as their Airbnb profile pic. Like, that’s what your going with?

“Sir, it would be a lot easier to believe your party didn’t trash this property if your pic wasn’t of you doing a beer bong.”