This team...

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: This team...

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The team has basically been in a bubble together for almost a year now. George Floyd also happened in the last year. It's probably about as close as the team has been to each other since Self has been here.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:58 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:50 am We ran the court against TCU after every rebound. Check that box score. Similar strategy against WVU.
Really odd that they haven't done it since. I mean they ran, and ran, and ran.

Since then, they've slowed down and tried to win in the half court.

This team doesn't have the guy to control the offense in a half court offense like they have for the last 10 years with a mix of Sherron, Tyshawn, Frank, Devontae and Dot.
Maybe TCU just really sucks and doesn't get back in transition as well as the other teams we've played since.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:09 am
pdub wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:00 am Baylor is one of the best defensive teams in the country, with speed too, and did well to get back on defense to where we had to run our half court sets.
It’s Bill’s job to ensure we are never, ever completely outclassed in our own league.
That's an unrealistic expectation. The roster stars have aligned for Baylor in that they have their best combo of folks at a time when we happen to have a more vulnerable roster. If you think that Self should never have a vulnerable lineup then you are simply asking too much because that's impossible.

Duke, Carolina, Kentucky and Michigan State are all unranked right now. It's unreasonable to expect to have the cream of the crop every single season.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:12 am I dunno.
I think Baylor is in a different class this year.
Butler is better than anyone on our roster. Teague is in Ochai's vicinity.

Swarming defense ( 17th in the nation in scoring defense ), high powered offense ( 6th in the nation in scoring offense ) with good 3 point shooters ( 5th in 3 point in the nation in 3 point % ).

Only Scott Drew can fuck this roster up when it matters.
like i said...they are good. but, we could’ve beat them last night had we not shot ourselves in the foot so many times. that tells me that they aren’t world beaters
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:07 am
pdub wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:00 am Baylor is one of the best defensive teams in the country, with speed too, and did well to get back on defense to where we had to run our half court sets.
It’s Bill’s job to ensure we are never, ever completely outclassed in our own league.
That's an unrealistic expectation. The roster stars have aligned for Baylor in that they have their best combo of folks at a time when we happen to have a more vulnerable roster. If you think that Self should never have a vulnerable lineup then you are simply asking too much because that's impossible.

Duke, Carolina, Kentucky and Michigan State are all unranked right now. It's unreasonable to expect to have the cream of the crop every single season.
I strongly disagree, and I don't give a shit about Carolina (or any other team).

It's unrealistic to expect to win every game, or to be the cream of the crop every season.

It is realistic to expect to never, ever be completely outclassed in your own league (I guess absent something freaky like injury).

Any year in which there is league opponent that's just comprehensively better than you is a failed year.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:07 am

Kansas Math. Sorry, but it's the job.

We also have 12 Top 150 recruits on our roster.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:37 am It’s the end of January. Still lots of ball left to play.

Going forward, who would you rather have from now until March: Drew, or Self?
Players win championships. Coaching only can take you so far until eventually the players have to make the shots and win the games.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:10 am like i said...they are good. but, we could’ve beat them last night had we not shot ourselves in the foot so many times. that tells me that they aren’t world beaters
They beat us handily last night. From start to finish. There was no fear we were going to win that game.

It will be an upset if we beat them in Lawrence.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Because AFH makes little to no difference this season, I agree with MICH.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We have one of the 10 best teams in the country and could even become better if the right changes are made.

You're not going to find many teams to cover the spread and stay within single digits while taking Jared Butler's best shot.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah. There were several times last night we got it to within a couple possessions.

But every time, they’d swing it back with a couple big plays. We were actually pretty close to a couple big plays of our own, and maybe even a couple breaks, and having the game be a lot closer.

But man, we don’t get a lot of breaks. How often do the 50/50 balls go our way? And little things like, what could have been a fast break dunk for us ends up being a block. Lots of other 4-5+ point swings, where we miss or screw up and it becomes easy points for them.

And I won’t comment of the officiating, but beav said several times he thought there was some home cooking in Waco.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Let’s play a dumb game!

Who would you rather have on this year’s roster:

Devon, or Dok?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

That is a good one. Doke. He could be a game changer on both ends.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:50 am Yeah. There were several times last night we got it to within a couple possessions.

But every time, they’d swing it back with a couple big plays. We were actually pretty close to a couple big plays of our own, and maybe even a couple breaks, and having the game be a lot closer.

But man, we don’t get a lot of breaks. How often do the 50/50 balls go our way? And little things like, what could have been a fast break dunk for us ends up being a block. Lots of other 4-5+ point swings, where we miss or screw up and it becomes easy points for them.
We'd follow up small runs with low bbiq plays and lose 3-5 points. That's so huge.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:45 am We have one of the 10 best teams in the country and could even become better if the right changes are made.

You're not going to find many teams to cover the spread and stay within single digits while taking Jared Butler's best shot.
Very true. After 2 teams, maybe 3 or 4, there is a huge drop off.

Baylor is 1 of the definite 2 top teams. They got bored and started coasting against us last night. We showed some heart by not quitting. But they were in total control nearly all game and even when we made our run twice it never got to less than a 2 possession game.

Hats off to them. That is a tough group of dudes.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm still hopeful MG has what he has last season somewhere and the drop-off from Devon to MG isn't as big in February/March.

Udoka was just miles better than DMac on both ends, and that gap does not seem like it will close.

But, I do think MG's play has been a huge factor in the struggles so far, and I don't trust that Bill would get our shooters involved if he had Udoka.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:52 am That is a good one. Doke. He could be a game changer on both ends.
It’s tough, isn’t it?

Dok was so automatic. But Dot was an all American himself, and perhaps the fastest guy in the country.

It’s almost a matter of whether this team could benefit more from an elite post presence, or dynamic guard play.

But neither is necessarily a wrong answer
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dok.
He was NDPOY and B12 POY.
DMac isn't near the defensive presence Dok was - nor the complete and unique game plan changing factor on offense.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:56 am
holidaysmore wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:52 am That is a good one. Doke. He could be a game changer on both ends.
It’s tough, isn’t it?

Dok was so automatic. But Dot was an all American himself, and perhaps the fastest guy in the country.

It’s almost a matter of whether this team could benefit more from an elite post presence, or dynamic guard play.

I'd point out here, though, that neither MG nor DMac have to replicate the guys they replaced. If they would have just played to their capability thus far, I would feel comfortable flipping the UT and OSU games to wins.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:56 am
It’s tough, isn’t it?

If Dotson, do you trust Bill would play big-less?

I would pick Doke, just to save Bill from himself.