Year-End performance reviews

Coffee talk.
shindig

Year-End performance reviews

Post by shindig »

I hate these. Not even sure what the purpose is. I can put in a million things that I accomplished over the year, but I usually just get the "meeting expectations" grade and a modest 3% merit increase. I'm not a brown noser, so I guess in my case, the squeaky wheel doesn't get the oil. It's just not in my personality. I work a lot, but just don't feel the need to boast about it.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Year-End performance reviews

Post by jfish26 »

I've had situations in the past where my review meeting has been in February for a performance year that ended the previous September. So you get sideswiped by comments on something that happened, like, 16 months prior to the meeting.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Pretty thankful that I have monthly meetings with the person I report to. I get a good gauge for what they're thinking of my performance, any issues that I have and we go from there. Still do a year-end review around January to where we recap the year and then depending on the review and their subsequent talk with their higher ups, pay raises and/or bonuses are usually given by late February.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Thought I was Dotson, he thought I was Grimes.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:01 am Pretty thankful that I have monthly meetings with the person I report to. I get a good gauge for what they're thinking of my performance, any issues that I have and we go from there. Still do a year-end review around January to where we recap the year and then depending on the review and their subsequent talk with their higher ups, pay raises and/or bonuses are usually given by late February.
I tell folks on the newer side that as long as they don't hear anything they don't expect in the review, they're fine.
shindig

Post by shindig »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:01 am Pretty thankful that I have monthly meetings with the person I report to. I get a good gauge for what they're thinking of my performance, any issues that I have and we go from there. Still do a year-end review around January to where we recap the year and then depending on the review and their subsequent talk with their higher ups, pay raises and/or bonuses are usually given by late February.
We get our bonus payout in March, so as long as I get meeting expectations, I get 10%*salary*Payout % (with this year looking at over 100%), but then the government takes almost half of it...BS.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i work directly with my director/boss on a daily basis, so he gets continual updates on what i’m doing and the progress i’m making towards whatever goals we’ve got

fortunately, our performance reviews are quarterly, so nothing sneaks up on me from too long ago

one of the biggest benefits of my position is that raises and bonuses are dependent not only on how i and the site i work at does, but also how the parent company does as a whole.

despite the shit storm that 2020 has been, my company has done quite well and improved our market share
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MF'ers better give me the Team Lead position after my review this year. I am already performing the role, I expect to be paid for it.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

We give out raises twice a year, at start of the second and fourth quarters. I do a 10 minute recap of the last half year and ask where they want to be in the future. We talk about what I expect from them to reach their goals and how I can facilitate that. As a boss I have to be actively assisting their progress for people to improve. I provide feedback on an ongoing basis, as I talk to everyone at least once a day about projects. We will give out bonuses next week. It gives employees time to figure out what they can budget to spend on Christmas. We have a lot of employees with kids so that is kind of a big deal.

We tried the formal checklist performance review several years back and it just turned into bullshit time wasted. We do a survey of the employees every year asking what we did well and what we did poorly. Inevitably there are 5-10 people who say they don't get enough feedback from their principal in charge and would like a more formal review. We have found that if you drill down, you find that the ones who want more feedback are usually the poor performers. They get feedback, they just want more "positive" feedback. That is an easy one to fix; let them go. Give them the opportunity to find someplace else where they will get more positive feedback next year.

We had to let an admin go several years ago. She was a huge problem; attitude and work ethic. A vote was taken and I was unanimously chosen for the task. I don't enjoy it, but I have a knack I suppose. We were expecting a claim of age discrimination afterwards. After I let her go, she had her exit review with HR and the legal person at HR called me. "What the hell did you say to her? She was so complimentary of you. She felt like getting fired was doing her a big favor." Yeah well I did do her a favor, I wrote her a good letter of recommendation and I didn't tell her what I really thought of her performance or tell her what a miserable person she was to work with. I just told her that I understood she was unhappy here and reminded her how much happier she would be when she found the right place to work next. Somewhere else she would fit in better. I doubt that somewhere was ever found, but godspeed to her.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'm doing mine now. It's the dummmest thing ever. It's the last day to do it before I get in trouble. I hate bragging on myself. Fortunately, my boss doesn't put a lot of effort into it either.

I'm procrastinating again. Gotta get back to entering quality BS.
Broham
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Mine is due end of next week. Blah.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

Deleted User 89

i knock mine out as soon as available...get it done and out of the way

i’m fortunate that i can easily compile data related to my accomplishments. then i’m literally just providing the data and don’t have to “spin” anything to brag on myself. i’m also fortunate that i work closely with my boss on a daily basis, so he is fully aware of what i’m working on and how i’m spending my time
Deleted User 89

and i actually look forward to the process

1) provides a personal kudos

2) get bonuses/raises
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

mbn
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Let’s enjoy a performance of a play called “Corporate advancement,” in three acts:

Act 1: I advance marginally in a company, and try to play a positive role by vocally suggesting what I think are obvious opportunities to improve the operation, such as “actually disciplining other staffers when they say things like ‘it’s not that I’m even sick, it’s that I just don’t feel like working today, so just ask ousdahl to cover again’” and “actually staffing the department with staff willing to work so I don’t have to come in 7 days a week even though I’m not supposed to get overtime.”

My suggestions are not taken as constructive opportunities, but as threats, to the managers whose top operational priority is not bringing attention to the fact they don’t actually manage a thing. This ultimately results in the funemployed thread.

Act 2: over a year in with the new employer, mostly just keeping my mouth shut and remaining intentionally detached. Then one day the owner calls me out of the blue and tells me he sold half the bidness, and my position is eliminated as of the 29th. Plenty of opportunities with the new owners, so contact those corporate overlords to check openings.

Act 3: the genius owner genuinely didn’t realize that telling everyone their position is eliminated will make everyone jump ship, and suddenly he doesn’t have anyone left to operate the half of the bidness he does still own. He calls me again in a borderline panic and offers a management position.

And all it took to advance, was keeping my mouth shut and not trying to do a thing!

But anywho, over a year in, they assure me I’ll get my 90 day performance evaluation any month now.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:20 am and i actually look forward to the process

1) provides a personal kudos

2) get bonuses/raises
Agree with this sentiment most years. But this year is different for me. Had a small fuckup at my job that is going to be brought up again in review, although it happened months ago. And I worry that any bonuses/raises are going to be miniscule with everything that happened with Covid.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This play is also called, “death of a ski town.” As the smaller mom and pops get bigger and corporater, the opportunities dry up for locals trying to live, you know, locally.

Just wait till y’all tourists realize the sap you’re barking at about an early checkin isn’t even in a local office, but in a call center in Florida.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Whoa

So my latest paycheck happens to have a substantial extra sum that I can only imagine is a bonus?

Do I say something orrrr
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:11 am Whoa

So my latest paycheck happens to have a substantial extra sum that I can only imagine is a bonus?

Do I say something orrrr
I think you should give it to the poor.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s already been given to the poor bro.

Who do you think I am, TJ’s fridge?