Gamestop

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: Gamestop

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:34 am It's going to take a long time to really unpack all this.

https://pluralistic.net/2021/01/28/paym ... streetbets

I think it's clear you're going to see regulation of...access to cheap/easy options.
And that's what's infuriating and why I'm on the WSB side of this.

If there's anything that should be more highly regulated it's the hedge funds and expensive/hard options.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:20 am i agree TDub, but the big dogs aren’t gonna let their power be taken away, even if it’s only a small fraction that’s being taken
Then (this isnt feasible as its a major part of most people's nest egg and retirement) we should all pull out and take our ball and go home. **yes i know we cant really
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:31 am Robinhood sells data before/after the market opens to hedge funds.
I should have known that but I didn't.
Bullshit.
Dammit, i just opened a robinhood account a month ago. Guess ill shut that down
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:52 am
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:20 am i agree TDub, but the big dogs aren’t gonna let their power be taken away, even if it’s only a small fraction that’s being taken
Then (this isnt feasible as its a major part of most people's nest egg and retirement) we should all pull out and take our ball and go home. **yes i know we cant really
as part of my employer-provided benefits, i’m enrolled in an investment plan that i can participate in at whatever level i’m comfortable

i tend to not think about it, and pretend it doesn’t exist. i set aside money on my own and squirrel it away in savings

i tell myself that by going this route, i relieve myself of the stressors associated with taking a more active role in my “portfolio”
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:51 am
jfish26 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:34 am It's going to take a long time to really unpack all this.

https://pluralistic.net/2021/01/28/paym ... streetbets

I think it's clear you're going to see regulation of...access to cheap/easy options.
And that's what's infuriating and why I'm on the WSB side of this.

If there's anything that should be more highly regulated it's the hedge funds and expensive/hard options.
The NCAA was so mad at Kentucky that it put Cleveland State on two years' probation.

That sort of thing.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:00 am
TDub wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:52 am
as part of my employer-provided benefits, i’m enrolled in an investment plan that i can participate in at whatever level i’m comfortable

i tend to not think about it, and pretend it doesn’t exist. i set aside money on my own and squirrel it away in savings

i tell myself that by going this route, i relieve myself of the stressors associated with taking a more active role in my “portfolio”
Me too. The high failure rate....abd suicide rate of day traders tells me the long haul is the way to go. However,the day trading world would be fun.....in the same way horse races, sports betting, craps are fun. Put in what you can afford to walk away without
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

5 Questions.
1) So are some of you guys saying the SEC should basically be more like the NCAA?
2) We have a lot of people on here who are similar to Trad in terms of their "employer provided investment plan" and how they react (or don't react) to it.
Why are people such as Trad so different than people such as MICH in the way they view their "plan"?
3) Two part question. I'm all for the little guys making a lot of money. But at what expense? Who is it that ultimately bails out the little guys if/when they fail (lose most/all of their money)?
4) Anybody on here who has invested in GME, AMC, etc., a little bit leery of what may transpire in regards to their making money?
5) As I have said before, I'm not a sharp guy so maybe some of you can fill me in. Are some of the big guys (such as Ken Griffin) actually profiting off of the little guys doing their "day trading"?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Gutter wanted UVA to beat UMBC because he was worried who would bail UMBC out if they lost in the second round and he was leary of them winning.

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Grandma wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:28 am 5 Questions.
1) So are some of you guys saying the SEC should basically be more like the NCAA?
2) We have a lot of people on here who are similar to Trad in terms of their "employer provided investment plan" and how they react (or don't react) to it.
Why are people such as Trad so different than people such as MICH in the way they view their "plan"?
3) Two part question. I'm all for the little guys making a lot of money. But at what expense? Who is it that ultimately bails out the little guys if/when they fail (lose most/all of their money)?
4) Anybody on here who has invested in GME, AMC, etc., a little bit leery of what may transpire in regards to their making money?
5) As I have said before, I'm not a sharp guy so maybe some of you can fill me in. Are some of the big guys (such as Ken Griffin) actually profiting off of the little guys doing their "day trading"?
Youre worried about who bails out the little guys when they fail? What about who bails out the big guys when they fail.....at a much higher cost to the taxpayer.
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TDub wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:39 am
Grandma wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:28 am 5 Questions.
Youre worried about who bails out the little guys when they fail? What about who bails out the big guys when they fail.....at a much higher cost to the taxpayer.
Well, what's fucked up, is the only one whoever does get bailed out, and it seemingly happens all the time, are the big guys.

I'd prefer the big guys be held accountable for their bullshit once in a while.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^^ again, I don’t know how this isn’t a wildly popular public opinion, yet here we are, again.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

it’s because too many of “the people” don’t vote in their own self-interest
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah.

They get so worked up about gun rights or abortion or super soakers filled with gasoline that they don’t stop and consider who’s really screwing them over.

But that might be for another bored.

You know, the satellite bored. Cuz who hasn’t thought about a DIY flame thrower before?!
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:08 am it’s because too many of “the people” don’t vote in their own self-interest
I don't think that's the case.

I think people are grossly unaware of just how unfair the playing field is. How things are set up to maintain status quo, so there's not some sudden change to rally against. The extent of the influence the extremely rich have allows them to do what the do without really being noticed.

And then you couple that with the IRS admitting they don't investigate rich people anymore becuase it's too hard and they don't have the resources...I mean, IRS funding is never brought up in a debate or in a campaign promise. No one votes based on how the SEC is being directed.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I think this is largely an non-political issue.

I mean, how many things would Jon Stewart and Rush Limbaugh take the same side on.

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:11 am Yeah.

They get so worked up about gun rights or abortion or super soakers filled with gasoline that they don’t stop and consider who’s really screwing them over.

But that might be for another bored.

You know, the satellite bored. Cuz who hasn’t thought about a DIY flame thrower before?!
Of course....then there's the other side of the coin....like someone here... Who think everyone is screwing them over.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:20 am I think this is largely an non-political issue.

I mean, how many things would Jon Stewart and Rush Limbaugh take the same side on.
Yes. I also think you were correct in the previous post. Until its brought to the forefront with the gamestop issue, the true extent of the deceit and unbalanced system of rules, nobody paid attention.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Way other boredy now, but what would happen if, say, Ted Cruz was clutching pearls about how wall st fat cats are screwing over the common man?

Cuz a quick glance at his tweeter this morning indicates an absence of that, but an awful lot of shit about abortion, and how scary the radical left is.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:26 am Way other boredy now, but what would happen if, say, Ted Cruz was clutching pearls about how wall st fat cats are screwing over the common man?

Cuz a quick glance at his tweeter this morning indicates an absence of that, but an awful lot of shit about abortion, and how scary the radical left is.
Well he did.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/2 ... ruz-463539
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it