Gamestop

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: Gamestop

Post by PhDhawk »

The market manipulation happened when robinhood, and others, blocked purchases of certain stock while allowing sales. That was done specifically to benefit the short selling hedge funds. That's criminal.

There's nothing illegal about reditters liking a specific stock and then having diamond hands. Everyone has a right to make some tendies.

They didn't do it to make money, and anyone buying more GME than they're prepared to loose, are doing it wrong.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

The not so funny thing is a decent percentage of the people who are celebrating sticking it to the "big guys" - don't comprehend that it's not just the "big guys" who they are taking pleasure in fucking over.
For many of them it's actually their friends and family members that are getting fucked over too.
Serious question to those of you on here who have a 401K... Do you know and/or have you bothered to look and see how it may be affecting YOU?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Grandma wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:45 am The not so funny thing is a decent percentage of the people who are celebrating sticking it to the "big guys" - don't comprehend that it's not just the "big guys" who they are taking pleasure in fucking over.
For many of them it's actually their friends and family members that are getting fucked over too.
Serious question to those of you on here who have a 401K... Do you know and/or have you bothered to look and see how it may be affecting YOU?
401ks don't take the high risks that hedge funds do.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

PhDhawk wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:42 am The market manipulation happened when robinhood, and others, blocked purchases of certain stock while allowing sales. That was done specifically to benefit the short selling hedge funds. That's criminal.
That's a fact.
Deleted User 289

PhDhawk wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:47 am
Grandma wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:45 am The not so funny thing is a decent percentage of the people who are celebrating sticking it to the "big guys" - don't comprehend that it's not just the "big guys" who they are taking pleasure in fucking over.
Couple of questions that might clarify things for me.
1) I was under the impression that not all hedge funds are "high risk" and that some are created to actually lower risk. Is that wrong?
2) I have my 401K through Fidelity. I admit I don't know exactly how/where Fidelity has "invested" MY money. I mean, I know that let's say I may have money in the T. Rowe Price Institutional High Yield Fund but what exactly is that fund investing in?
Am I wrong to assume that they (Fidelity) have invested my money in "funds" that are "run" by hedge fund managers or at least hedge fund managers have a bearing on?
Last edited by Deleted User 289 on Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

(How’s this meme go again?)

Hey school, how’s a 401k work?

“Here’s a recorder.”

And how do I do taxes?

“You put your fingers over the holes”

And what’s a credit score?

“HOT. CROSS. BUNS.”
Deleted User 289

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:57 am
PhDhawk wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:42 am The market manipulation happened when robinhood, and others, blocked purchases of certain stock while allowing sales. That was done specifically to benefit the short selling hedge funds. That's criminal.
That's a fact.
Hopefully one of you two (or both)can help me out here.
I was under the impression "the market" (actually a few stocks) was being manipulated and that's why Robinhood did what they did.
I'm not familiar with what Robinhood allowed and didn't allow but how could they allow sales and not purchases? How can you sell if no one can purchase?
As far as what they did being "criminal" or not, I assume (and of course could very well be wrong) that Robinhood has a LOT of rules, regulations, and compliance factors, in regards to their "user agreement/s". I figure they must have been confident that what they chose to do was within THEIR (Robinhood's) rights. Yes? No?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Not to say music isn’t immensely more valuable than any of that other shit.

It’s just that it’s almost like we aren’t supposed to understand that other shit, by design.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Nm
Last edited by TDub on Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:31 am
TDub wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:50 am
Hmm. That dumb shit almost makes me wanna cheer for the hedge funds. Not really, but that's some real stupid shit.
I am on WSB side of this for the record. Just wish i was tuned into the reddit world so i would have known earlier in the game to actually earn money on GME myself.

A main problem i see in this as a whole is that it makes a mockery of the market. I love the little guy rising up aspect, but it is market manipulation. And where i think this can turn bad for all of us little guys, is that if this becomes a war of market manipulation then the hedge funds are going to have an advantage (as was already proven by Robinhood).

What's the end game with Gamestop? The soaring price is not based on reality (company financials, earnings, etc). Eventually the "big guys" will all be out and will have taken their loss, and then many of the later to the game "little guys" are going to lose their ass when this stock goes down to $10 or whatever. It's not like gamestop turned into amazon overnight. It isn't (and wasn't) a long term position to be in.
No, its a bubble that will pop when the price gwts to the point that tnhe reddit people can't afford not to sell. Then the squeeze will be over snd the shorts will profit. Theres no expiration date on the shorts and they got money to wait. Unless....the redditors can loan the shares back to the shorts then buy more to drive up the price and call back the loans and super squeezem....but that takes lots of money and coordination for everyone to do it at once.

All that being said the dumb shit i was talking about was the "lingo" that shits silly and stupid.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Is it just me or should this whole “short” shit be illegal?

Why do we need em? Just some greedy slime balls trying to get in between an otherwise legit sale? What good does it do?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Grandma wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:07 am
PhDhawk wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:47 am
Couple of questions that might clarify things for me.
1) I was under the impression that not all hedge funds are "high risk" and that some are created to actually lower risk. Is that wrong?
2) I have my 401K through Fidelity. I admit I don't know exactly how/where Fidelity has "invested" MY money. I mean, I know that let's say I may have money in the T. Rowe Price Institutional High Yield Fund but what exactly is that fund investing in?
Am I wrong to assume that they (Fidelity) have invested my money in "funds" that are "run" by hedge fund managers or at least hedge fund managers have a bearing on?
Shorts are, by nature, high risk.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

try explaining that to the hedge funds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:47 am Is it just me or should this whole “short” shit be illegal?

Why do we need em? Just some greedy slime balls trying to get in between an otherwise legit sale? What good does it do?
Shorts are like gambling. Playing craps is legal, horse racing is legal. Shit, backdoor lobs are legal. As PhD clarified the crime isnt in the short. The crime is in the actions to stop the market trading. That is criminal.

There is a conspiracy that this is being allowed to play out as a scape goat for a balooned market that "they" know ia going to crash.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:49 am try explaining that to the hedge funds.
The hedge funds are aware of the risks....they just usually dont gwt caught slippin
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:47 am Is it just me or should this whole “short” shit be illegal?

Also, normally no one is tryong to get in the way of a legit sale....they are betting no one ia going to buy it and it will fall....then their shorts are bought at the lower price and they keep the difference for profit
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Grandma wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:18 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:57 am
That's a fact.
Hopefully one of you two (or both)can help me out here.
I was under the impression "the market" (actually a few stocks) was being manipulated and that's why Robinhood did what they did.
I'm not familiar with what Robinhood allowed and didn't allow but how could they allow sales and not purchases? How can you sell if no one can purchase?
As far as what they did being "criminal" or not, I assume (and of course could very well be wrong) that Robinhood has a LOT of rules, regulations, and compliance factors, in regards to their "user agreement/s". I figure they must have been confident that what they chose to do was within THEIR (Robinhood's) rights. Yes? No?
It was (being manipulated) and they did choose to do what they did because of it.

I think they went wrong by ONLY allowing sales....and it wasn't just Robinhood.

My friend is a financial advisor said his broker dealer put out guidance to not attempt initiate ANY buys or sells of GME from customers until they figured out what was going on (not allowing either buying or selling seems more legit imo).

I also don't think "Robinhood" will survive this, and i also think they knew that when they did what they did...
And even moreso now that everyone knows they sell info to the hedge funds and that is how they afford to let everyone do commission free trades. What will be interesting to find out is who pushed them to make that move or if they did it based on their own financial impacts of what was happening.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well the issue now is, if and when they DO get caught slippin, they can just unplug the game?

Imagine sitting at a craps table, going all in, landing on black when you picked red, and being able to just say “meh I’d rather just walk away.”

That’s the thing! Craps is a game. Hoops is a game. The stock market is not a game, but we let a select few game it anyway?

Or rather, even if those other things are games, they still have consequences. Why shouldn’t the stock market too?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:05 am Well the issue now is, if and when they DO get caught slippin, they can just unplug the game?

Imagine sitting at a craps table, going all in, landing on black when you picked red, and being able to just say “meh I’d rather just walk away.”

That’s the thing! Craps is a game. Hoops is a game. The stock market is not a game, but we let a select few game it anyway?

Or rather, even if those other things are games, they still have consequences. Why shouldn’t the stock market too?
Weve already all said thats the problem. You just keep repeating the same outrage over and over. Yes....thats the whole issue and why were talking about it
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

The stock market is a game. Its absolutely a game
Just Ledoux it