This team...

Kansas Basketball.
twocoach

Re: This team...

Post by twocoach »

I just feel bad for the players. This isnt how they expected playing at Kansas to go. Self hasn't figured out how to run an offense with this roster. Past teams got to look forward to coming back to AFH to get energized by the fans and they dont even have that.

My anxiety level over life in general is requiring me to deprioritize KU's struggles. I am just going to blow it off and hope they do better because I can't afford to get too bothered by it. I am struggling enough as it is.

I hope they figure things out in time for the tourney and are able to be happy with whatever they are able to achieve.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:57 am
ousdahl wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:44 am Chicken and egg, but I wonder how Marcus Garrett would look as a pg if he had teammates to pass it to who aren’t afraid to shoot.
He'd look the same. He doesn't create. He doesn't score off the dribble with any consistency. He is not fast by PG standards.

I don't think our players are scared to shoot.
when the other guys can’t finish, it matters
Deleted User 89

Miles was a “non-scoring” point guard, yet did pretty well for himself

i don’t fault MG near as much as the rest of the guards
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:43 am Miles was a “non-scoring” point guard, yet did pretty well for himself

It’s not so much a fault or blame thing as it is a roster construction thing. Having a non-shooting perimeter guy makes everything hard. Particularly when you stubbornly need to play a traditional big also.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Leawood wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:55 pm We just need 3 Chi-Os
Might be more than that. These are serious times.
Deleted User 89

jfish26 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:59 am
TraditionKU wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:43 am Miles was a “non-scoring” point guard, yet did pretty well for himself

It’s not so much a fault or blame thing as it is a roster construction thing. Having a non-shooting perimeter guy makes everything hard. Particularly when you stubbornly need to play a traditional big also.
i get that

as much, if not more of the blame should be on the pieces around MG...that’s all i was saying

we’ve been plenty successful with non-scoring point guards
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Three blonde Chi-Os
RockChalk2005

Post by RockChalk2005 »

jfish26 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:59 am

I wholeheartedly agree. It's a roster construction issue.

On the perimeter, it's too easy for the defenders to go and help if you're guarding one of the non-shooters. Which makes it very hard for the rest of the guards to beat their man and get into the paint off the bounce.

In turn, it means that the defenders guarding one of the perimeter shooters (e.g., Christian, Och) can pressure the ball and force them to drive, because they know they have strong help behind them and the defense doesn't need to worry about drive-and-kick options to other (non-shooting) perimeter players. It's too easy to guard.

What we get is the 4-game dribble-weave action, side-to-side, and then a "take em" scenario at the end of it because the defense had no trouble guarding it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Part of the problem with the shooters is they’re so hesitant to shoot, too.

A defender even pretends to close out, and the shooter hangs on. They need to be launching.

But we did attempt 24 from deep last night, somehow.

Maybe Och needs to take a step in, so he stops clanking it off the front rim; and Christian needs to take a step out, so he has more time to get his feet set?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

MG's not a point guard, Braun/Och were not recruited as shooters, DMac is not a great 5 in a small-ball system, Wilson is not stretch 4, etc.

Just a lot of square pegs trying to go into round holes.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

If Braun/Och were not recruited as shooters, then what were they recruited for? Point guard? Forward? Center?

I mean if those guys were not recruited as shooters, then that means we don’t recruit any shooters at all.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I dunno why Wilson can’t be a good stretch 4 though. He was recruited as a wing I suppose, decent jumper, but has also shown he can rebound and score at the rim too. What’s not stretch 4 about that? We need more back to the basket post work from him?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:38 am If Braun/Och were not recruited as shooters, then what were they recruited for? Point guard? Forward? Center?

I mean if those guys were not recruited as shooters, then that means we don’t recruit any shooters at all.
Braun was a point forward and should probably be playing a utility role here off the bench. He's been told to shoot every time in the past 2 years because we have been devoid of shooters.

Och's shot and form have improved 1000%. He was a big role of the dice as a recruit.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

well if Christian wanted to play a point forward role now, the opportunity is there. He could really make a case for that role if he stopped throwing lazy passes directly to the other team.

Och wasn’t really a roll of the dice as a recruit. Under-the-radar Uber athlete local kid is a no brainer just to recruit.

It’s the popping the shirt off and starting him cuz your head case senior had to be chased off campus, then not recruiting over that kid in 3 years since, that’s the dice roll.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I hate calling out amateur athletes especially Jayhawks. They are playing as good as they can and I can almost guarantee they are taking this losing harder then we are. The limitations in their skills show and that is what is.

Now I have ZERO problem calling out a coaching staff that is paid quite handsomely. Coach and his staff have had to maintain for years well now they are on the other end of it were they don’t have home court advantage and a stacked roster.
It’s pretty clear they have struck out recruiting and have had to add guys they probably never would have had. Now it’s time for them to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.
Holidaysmore - 2005
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

That’s the thing! This team is like totally NOT playing as good as they can. We’ve seen much much better play out of them just weeks ago.

And yeah the coaching staff bears much of the blame, but I also dunno how much you wanna fault self for our shooters clanking open looks.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We get way more bad looks than good looks. Rushed shots, heavily guarded shots, out of rhythm . . . that’s on Bill to fix.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Heavily guarded is one thing, but sometimes they’re rushing or out of rhythm even when wide open.

Gonna take a lot of Chi-Os to clear that up.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Na. MG has been a decent player for us. We just unfortunately were expecting to be an all american that could carry our offense
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

This team stinks for sure. But not because of MG. We would stink worse if not for him.