2020 offseason thread

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: 2020 offseason thread

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:10 am I’m torn on Warinner. If he is still the same asshole he was when he was here does that translate well to 2021? Can he recruit? On the flip side some discipline and tough love never hurt. I bitched and complained last year that the offense they tried to run didn’t fit the pieces they had. If I remember correctly Warinner ran a pretty run heavy offense so again do the pieces fit for the schemes he wants to run?
A lot of unknowns but outside of taking a ‘flyer’ on someone like a Dearmon I’m guessing there probably aren’t that many great options that want to take a chance on what could be a career suicide move to come here.
You are correct in that KU was more run-heavy. They had almost 40 rushing attempts per game and about 35 passes per games. But they spread it and opened up lanes in the middle.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Warinner was here from 2007-09 and the RB1s during that era had to have been Cornish (?), Sharp, McAnderson and maybe Angus Q? Not the worst options plus those were the golden years of KU. He seems to be the only person who actually has interest in the job so what the hell. It can’t get worse.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

if he’s been successful elsewhere (as well as at KU previously) and actually WANTS to come, then i don’t see why anyone would have reservations given where the program is
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Agreed. He isn’t a ‘slam dunk’ hire but it isn’t like KU is a dream job anyways. Essentially beggars can’t be choosers.

Even though I will say this OC hire might make or break the Les Miles era.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Like I mentioned maybe a few pages back, he's always had a soft spot for KU. He always seems to throw his name in the ring when it's been available.

Maybe he comes here, does well and then when Miles decided to be done, it's Warinner's gig.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

If Warinner is the next HC, fine. But, you can't give him HCiW. The next hire is too goddamned important to make it under these circumstances.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Agreed. I wouldn't be shocked if Warinner comes here for say 2 years, after year 2, Miles says I'm too old for this and decides to be done, then Warinner is FINALLY in the perfect spot to be the HC here.

I mean, it is odd that he hasn't been a HC anywhere, but he's been at top notch programs for last decade that aren't looking to hire from within and he probably didn't want to go to a smaller school.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

He might also be a pain in the ass.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I won’t make to much of this years basketball team going to the crapper because it was bound to happen but the dark NCAA cloud hanging over us makes the Les era and the subsequent years after very, very important should realignment take place. Without a some what competent football program we would be dead in the water.

Hire Ed I’m fine with that. Probably don’t have any better options so lets kick the tires and see if Ed has any tread left. Now him being HCiW I would have to pass on that for all the reasons I just stated above. Unless Ed lights the world on fire and gets us back to .500 or better. In that case rename the stadium, put up a statue and he can be the HC for as long as he wants. Low bar here.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:21 am He might also be a pain in the ass.
Which might be what this program needs.

We all saw Les that first spring workout where he was tearing into everybody, coaches included. So Les is a step into that, but it wouldn't hurt to continue that. We don't need buddy-buddy coach like Beaty was.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Maybe I'm naive, but I think that the conference shakeup doomsday gets less likely by the day. I think we're on the other side of the peak of both the TV contract bubbles and college football--for similar and different reasons.

With maybe the exception of West Virginia, the conference members have to be elated about the current setup.
Deleted User 89

the last coach that got us to a bowl was a pain in the ass, of sorts
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:32 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:21 am He might also be a pain in the ass.

We all saw Les that first spring workout where he was tearing into everybody, coaches included. So Les is a step into that, but it wouldn't hurt to continue that. We don't need buddy-buddy coach like Beaty was.
I was thinking the same thing

Of course that also might make him a shitty HC. It's good to have a guy like that on the staff, but maybe not the head guy. And may be the reason he's never gotten the chance and Rick Neuheisel has gotten 28 shots.

What's the male version of resting bitch face? He's got it and then some.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:32 am

I'm thinking more a pain in the ass to the admins and donors. You would think he would have received a shot by now. Knowing how CFB hiring tends to work, it might already be a red flag that he has not. People like Warinner tend to fail up.
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:33 am Maybe I'm naive, but I think that the conference shakeup doomsday gets less likely by the day. I think we're on the other side of the peak of both the TV contract bubbles and college football--for similar and different reasons.

With maybe the exception of West Virginia, the conference members have to be elated about the current setup.
agree whole-heartedly with this

the re-alignment ship has sailed thanks to streaming services
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:34 am the last coach that got us to a bowl was a pain in the ass, of sorts
Again, I meant a PITA with the ones that negotiate his paycheck.

Mangino was absolutely a PITA, and right or wrong, he hasn't been a HC since and was fired again.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

He also doesn't seem to stay anywhere for too long, another red flag.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I think KU donors and admin would appreciate a good program compared to a person who bowed down to them.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:49 am I think KU donors and admin would appreciate a good program compared to a person who bowed down to them.
Sadly, I'm not so sure. Dana Anderson and Clint Bowen suggest differently. Banks Floodman, the biggest talent in the building, ran the F away when we needed him most. There has always been a top down issue.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:47 am He also doesn't seem to stay anywhere for too long, another red flag.
Yeah that is somewhat true. But position coach assistants usually don't last too long. His longest stops were at Army when he was in about 15 different roles and Ohio State where he was an OC in some capacity for 5 years.