COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by jfish26 »

Grandma wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:36 am NYC has suspended vaccinations for today due to the storm.
NOT good!
I mean, on the balance, a three week The Day After Tomorrow-type weather disaster around this time last year might have saved 350,000 American lives.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Oh boy
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Headline and subheadline in WSJ today. All that you need to read.

Vaccine Skeptics Join Forces With Antimask Crowd
Concern grows over coalition dedicated to what advocates call ‘health freedom’

https://www.wsj.com/articles/vaccine-sk ... 1612284890
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

aka, why we can’t have nice things
Deleted User 89

seriously though, fuck them

just like parents that don’t vaccinate their kids, they need to be held legally/financially accountable if it can be shown that they are responsible for getting others infected (or worse)
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:02 pm Headline and subheadline in WSJ today. All that you need to read.

Awesome. More vaccine for me.
Deleted User 89

there aren’t fungus vaccines
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:39 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:02 pm Headline and subheadline in WSJ today. All that you need to read.

It's not awesome. Since the vaccine isn't 100% protective, you want to be vaccinated yourself, but you also want as many people around you as possible to also be vaccinated.

Also, as the number of people who don't get vaccinated increases, that means there are more reservoirs for the VIRUS. Which means, more chances for mutations, including mutations that may produce strains of the VIRUS that are resistant to the vaccine. The fewer unvaccinated people there are, the less the virus spreads and the fewer opportunities there are for a strain that escapes vaccine protection.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:15 pm

It's not awesome. Since the vaccine isn't 100% protective, you want to be vaccinated yourself, but you also want as many people around you as possible to also be vaccinated.

Also, as the number of people who don't get vaccinated increases, that means there are more reservoirs for the VIRUS. Which means, more chances for mutations, including mutations that may produce strains of the VIRUS that are resistant to the vaccine. The fewer unvaccinated people there are, the less the virus spreads and the fewer opportunities there are for a strain that escapes vaccine protection.
And the public place and school restrictions will need to be continued.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

People who think the vaccine is about them...are telling you a few things about themselves.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:18 pm

People who think the vaccine is about them...are telling you a few things about themselves.
That's been the issue at every step of this.

Masks were never about the individual, social distancing was not about the individual.....

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:21 pm
jfish26 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:18 pm

That's been the issue at every step of this.

Masks were never about the individual, social distancing was not about the individual.....
BUT - all of those things do very much come back to the individual, in that (as mentioned) our economy can't fully reopen, and our way of life can't fully return, unless and until there's group success.

Or lol 2 million people die. Whatever!
Deleted User 89

guys, it’s mich...
Deleted User 89

a buddy of mine that is a post-doc at a major university in the south is saying that the university somehow was able to get their own stash of vaccines, and that a number of post-docs and even perfectly healthy undergrads are getting vaccinated

meanwhile, both his folks and my own are stuck on waiting lists unable to vaccinated

such a sad commentary
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:53 pm a buddy of mine that is a post-doc at a major university in the south is saying that the university somehow was able to get their own stash of vaccines, and that a number of post-docs and even perfectly healthy undergrads are getting vaccinated

meanwhile, both his folks and my own are stuck on waiting lists unable to vaccinated

such a sad commentary
Many clinics need space in freezers that are -80 degrees. Universities have them, most clinics don't. That's my guess how they got em.

We loaned out our freezer space, but it still hasn't been filled. We didn't negotiate vaccines for ourselves to my knowledge.

Deleted User 89

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:39 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:53 pm a buddy of mine that is a post-doc at a major university in the south is saying that the university somehow was able to get their own stash of vaccines, and that a number of post-docs and even perfectly healthy undergrads are getting vaccinated

such a sad commentary
Many clinics need space in freezers that are -80 degrees. Universities have them, most clinics don't. That's my guess how they got em.

We loaned out our freezer space, but it still hasn't been filled. We didn't negotiate vaccines for ourselves to my knowledge.
it just adds to the problem and disparity in vaccinations

jmo, but shame on the university

edit: you shouldn’t even be able to negotiate vaccines for yourselves...get the fuck in line like everyone else
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

We just need to get everyone vaccinated. Like I've said, having a hierarchy is only good if it doesn't slow things down.

If the university is associated with a med school, that could also be a consideration. If you're sharing hallways and restrooms with people on the frontlines, that coukd move you up.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

#1 priority: doses in arms over the trash can.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:59 pm #1 priority: doses in arms over the trash can.
Broadway shows and airlines could - and I’m very serious - lend a lot of expertise in how to handle a stand-by program.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I'd be very interested in hearing PhD's response to this article.

https://www.westonaprice.org/podcast/it ... a-vaccine/