This team...

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: This team...

Post by jfish26 »

It just seems like the sort of thing you admit out loud when you’re about through the issues. Not staring down the barrel at the worst of them.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

We all know the investigation is dragging on the program. HCBS saying so is news to no one.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:35 pm We all know the investigation is dragging on the program. HCBS saying so is news to no one.
But his job is to convince guys to come despite the investigation. This works against that. It was stupid of him to validate the concern.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:42 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:35 pm We all know the investigation is dragging on the program. HCBS saying so is news to no one.
But his job is to convince guys to come despite the investigation. This works against that. It was stupid of him to validate the concern.
If he says he has no clue then he is either clueless or a liar. If he says it will be over soon and it isn't then he is a liar. I have no problem with him giving his honest opinion of the situation.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Like, late-90s Ford salesmen didn't try to sell Explorers by telling customers, "you know what, it's been a hard time to move these Explorers, what with them exploding all over the damn place."
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:53 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:42 pm
If he says he has no clue then he is either clueless or a liar. If he says it will be over soon and it isn't then he is a liar. I have no problem with him giving his honest opinion of the situation.
But being honest does nothing to solve the problem of not getting guys. Part of his job is to find something better to say than, "you know what, this mess we're in is really dragging us down."
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

I’m with fish...
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Is the strategy sort of, look we've already been punished by this, don't punish us again?
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Bryce Thompson was a pretty big get way after investigation started.

Bill sounds whiny, and he way mismanaged this season.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:23 pm Is the strategy sort of, look we've already been punished by this, don't punish us again?
The strategy is we feel we have a ton to offer, we’ve had a ton of success with guys who for one reason or another didn’t make some guy’s arbitrary rankings, and we’re taking a whole-roster approach to recruiting.

Of course it’s puffery. But it’s better than what he said.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:38 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:23 pm Is the strategy sort of, look we've already been punished by this, don't punish us again?
The strategy is we feel we have a ton to offer, we’ve had a ton of success with guys who for one reason or another didn’t make some guy’s arbitrary rankings, and we’re taking a whole-roster approach to recruiting.

Of course it’s puffery. But it’s better than what he said.
I guess I mean is the message directed at the ncaa or the independent review board or the media rather than recruits.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Oh for sure on that one, yes.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s a candid moment, and one not meant to puff. That’s kinda nice in itself, except it still sounds whiny.

I think he’s trying to take aim at the NCAA (F them), and the fact we’re going on three years now of them dragging their feet, which is a de facto punishment within itself, and a classic NCAA move that seems as if by design, cuz they lack more credible means of administering this shit.

But if you’re gonna take aim at the NCAA (F them), do it that way coach, and take aim right at them, rather than this butthurt recruiting talk.

How can it hurt at this point? It’s in the hands of the independent committee, right? I remember someone here arguing a while back that perpetual delays are a good thing for KU, but I don’t exactly recall why.

Maybe cuz fall 2018 was centuries ago in terms of news cycles, so it gets more likely to be ultimately shrugged off? Or was it cuz it gets more likely some other bigger Zion-type bombshell drops that makes our case look even sillier?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:34 pm Bryce Thompson was a pretty big get way after investigation started.

Bill sounds whiny, and he way mismanaged this season.
Mismanaged how so?

Kinda doubt Self told those top recruits to go G league, and told Silvio to knock some dude’s face off of his face in front of Brothers, and told Bryce to break a bone.

Ohh, but feeding the post!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Jalen was thee guy to have in terms of last minute recruiting scores two summers ago, too.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My guess is that CnB thinks we should have gotten a better PG in before Dotson left and not put all our eggs in the Marcus Garrett basket.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:39 am It’s a candid moment, and one not meant to puff. That’s kinda nice in itself, except it still sounds whiny.

I think he’s trying to take aim at the NCAA (F them), and the fact we’re going on three years now of them dragging their feet, which is a de facto punishment within itself, and a classic NCAA move that seems as if by design, cuz they lack more credible means of administering this shit.

But if you’re gonna take aim at the NCAA (F them), do it that way coach, and take aim right at them, rather than this butthurt recruiting talk.

How can it hurt at this point? It’s in the hands of the independent committee, right? I remember someone here arguing a while back that perpetual delays are a good thing for KU, but I don’t exactly recall why.

Maybe cuz fall 2018 was centuries ago in terms of news cycles, so it gets more likely to be ultimately shrugged off? Or was it cuz it gets more likely some other bigger Zion-type bombshell drops that makes our case look even sillier?
It's all of that.

Getting separation from the SCANDAL phase is good. Getting closer to (or perhaps even past) where the substance of what we did (or are alleged to have done) is legal/permitted/accepted is good.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

That’s a good point too, about trying to wait it out until, like, Congress passes a NIL bill anyway.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And it wasn't as if our recruiting classes in 2019, 2020 were bad.
We were 15th in 19 with 3 4 stars and a 3 star that turned out to be better than advertised.

Bryce Thompson was a 5 star - Tyon Grant-Foster was supposedly the best juco transfer.

Our 2021 class leaves some to be desired -- but it's tough to tell who will leave.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:46 am My guess is that CnB thinks we should have gotten a better PG in before Dotson left and not put all our eggs in the Marcus Garrett basket.
We got two other pg’s in the pipeline. They’re both just the type of guys who will take a couple seasons to have any impact, rather than ready-to-play studs who are apparently now more and more going G league instead.