This team...

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: This team...

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah. I already said it, but Dave shouldn’t be shooting from further than Dok range.

Make power moves moving toward the basket, not finesse moves moving away from it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I can't agree.
He has more in his arsenal than Dok range.
He's leading us in FG% in B12 play and he is a very good FT shooter, so that's another sign he can hit from some range.

When the shots present themselves, he should take them, including 15 foot 'jumpers', but definitely if he's double teamed, or pressured early in the shot clock, he shouldn't be taking fade away jumpers, which he's been known to do.

It'd also help if the passes he makes out of the post to open perimeter shooters actually resulted in threes.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:02 pm The best indicator of what type of game dave is going to have is how deep his post position is.
Yep. You can almost always tell when he's going to make a shot before he even catches the ball.

I think part of it is he gets hurried up and it will cause bad positioning and footwork. He has become pretty great when he does the work before he catches--it's more often a make. He needs to do a better job of realizing when he's in a low percentage position and reset.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:05 pm Yeah. I already said it, but Dave shouldn’t be shooting from further than Dok range.

Make power moves moving toward the basket, not finesse moves moving away from it.
I'm OK with him taking a couple of jumpers per game if he catches the ball already facing the basket. Of course that is also dependent on the game situation.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

A couple a game if he’s already facing the basket...you mean free throws?

But yeah, a couple a game is ok I guess, as long as it’s in the flow of the game and not an often and early option.

Still, dude is 260+ and built to bully, but instead he plays like he thinks he’s Dirk.

Heck, just for the sake of discussion, why not have Dave taking a couple 3’s a game?

He’s already swished the one he tried, they’re worth more points than his midrange shots, he seems to like playing out more than in, and it would open up all the space for everybody else?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Man, he has really good footwork when he slows down in the post. He can't be shooting 10 foot fadeaways. But I'm ok with an in rhythm jumper from 10-15. He'll knock it down at a good rate.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

it’s the turn-around or quick face-up jumpers that are the problem...those that he tends to fade away on. these are usually on the baseline.

the elbow-extended ones he seems to shoot a higher percentage on
Last edited by Deleted User 89 on Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:14 pm
ousdahl wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:05 pm Yeah. I already said it, but Dave shouldn’t be shooting from further than Dok range.

I'm OK with him taking a couple of jumpers per game if he catches the ball already facing the basket. Of course that is also dependent on the game situation.
Right 5 seconds left on shot clock is different than 20.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, it’s different.

But short of some late clock broken play, I want Dave mostly playing like a rich man’s Landen Lucas.

Of course, that’s sort of contingent on having good guard play handle the scoring load, but alas.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:24 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:14 pm

Right 5 seconds left on shot clock is different than 20.
The one he quickly threw up with 17 seconds left when we were down 1 to Tech sticks out. That's just BBIQ stuff--too hyper.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Actually, with our offensive issues, I would have no problem with taking that wide open, in rhythm, top of the key three early in the shot clock a time or two each game. It's a better shot than probably most of what we end up getting (or in case of a TO, not getting) in half court sets.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And as teams have to guard Dave more, maybe even coach Dave to look for the teammate streaking to the hoop cuz the defense is trying to close on Dave, but that might be too much bbiq, and also contingent on Dave actually hitting the 3 at least once in a while
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

If we can win 3 of the next 4, I'll feel pretty good about us. I still don't expect us to reach the final 4, but it would be awesome if we could beat Baylor. Not expecting it to happen though.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Mjl wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:00 pm Actually, with our offensive issues, I would have no problem with taking that wide open, in rhythm, top of the key three early in the shot clock a time or two each game. It's a better shot than probably most of what we end up getting (or in case of a TO, not getting) in half court sets.
Yep. Banks-ins possible. 50-50 rebounds too.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

That is how this team gets to a Final Four.

Aggressive, assignment sound defense. Relentlessly crash the boards. 8/26 from 3 is by no means good shooting, but it's good enough to play when you take care of the other stuff. Only 6 turnovers.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

According to his insta, looks like Tyon got inked last night.

Please start him, Coach
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:30 am According to his insta, looks like Tyon got inked last night.

Please start him, Coach
3 days before a game..? What a weird time to get a tat, mid-season before the biggest game of the year.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Maybe the ink reads 10 game streak.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s just this stylized cursive font that says “Since 2000” across the tops of his knees.

I was kinda hoping it would be across both arms, with one arm reading “wing” and the other reading “span”
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

shoulda got “high” and “hips” above his knees