KU at Texas Official Game thread

Kansas Basketball.
PhDhawk

Re: KU at Texas Official Game thread

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:49 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:31 am We’re balancing Dajuan’s potential contributions to the massive unknown of bringing in a senior transfer and expecting them to learn the system and be noticeably better in one year, though.

It seems just as likely we bring in a guy like that and bury them on the bench behind the known commodities.
I just don’t see that being a big unknown. If you can shoot and play at this level, you won’t forget how to do it after a transfer.

And I would definitely rather gamble on it than put our eggs in the wrong PG basket 2 years in a row.
Yeah, you accept the transfer and then you play the best guy.

In that scenario there's a good chance that Harris or Thompson is the best guy though.

Cade Cunningham ain't coming here, and asking PG who's only a good player to adjust that quickly is a big ask.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Unless ALL of those guys on that starting five make some significant upgrades to their respective games that line up spells trouble to me and I have a bad feeling we will be having the same discussions as we are having now.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i think an upperclassman transfer that can score would be pretty likely to beat out Harris...Thompson not as likely
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:53 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:31 am We’re balancing Dajuan’s potential contributions to the massive unknown of bringing in a senior transfer and expecting them to learn the system and be noticeably better in one year, though.

It seems just as likely we bring in a guy like that and bury them on the bench behind the known commodities.
I just don’t see that being a big unknown. If you can shoot and play at this level, you won’t forget how to do it after a transfer.

And I would definitely rather gamble on it than put our eggs in the wrong PG basket 2 years in a row.

In that scenario there's a good chance that Harris or Thompson is the best guy though.

Cade Cunningham ain't coming here, and asking PG who's only a good player to adjust that quickly is a big ask.
Yes make an attempt.

Or dump a bunch of dollars in Jalen Suggs’s trunk.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:53 am

I think that BT would a fantastic PG. An offseason of handling the ball solely and being the lead guy would make this team better. Harris can stay as a backup, because I think it's a good role for him.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:54 am Unless ALL of those guys on that starting five make some significant upgrades to their respective games that line up spells trouble to me and I have a bad feeling we will be having the same discussions as we are having now.
Yes, and that’s why I think we need to take a hard look everywhere to bring someone into the program.

Otherwise, we could go into every game like we do now and cross our fingers that we’re getting the hot version of the team.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:48 am Are you presuming Marcus gets shown the door, then?
Yes.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

there's also the whole issue of, what high profile pg is gonna wanna transfer to a school as the ncaa hammer looms.

and also the issue of, what's a transfer pg really gonna do to make Och and Haunk start hitting open shots, make Dave spaz out less, etc.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:08 am there's also the whole issue of, what high profile pg is gonna wanna transfer to a school as the ncaa hammer looms.

and also the issue of, what's a transfer pg really gonna do to make Och and Haunk start hitting open shots, make Dave spaz out less, etc.
Yeah regarding this point. It helps so much when you have a PG that can finish at the rim. MG just hasn't proven it that much yet. Compared to what we have had with Sherron, Tyshawn, Frank, DTae and Dot. That opens up so many things. Also, it's nice when your PG can throw lobs. MG can't.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:08 am there's also the whole issue of, what high profile pg is gonna wanna transfer to a school as the ncaa hammer looms.
Reeeeally reaching now.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:11 am

Yeah regarding this point. It helps so much when you have a PG that can finish at the rim. MG just hasn't proven it that much yet. Compared to what we have had with Sherron, Tyshawn, Frank, DTae and Dot. That opens up so many things. Also, it's nice when your PG can throw lobs. MG can't.
A pretty important part of successfully running a small lineup: threat to hit jump shots from 1-4.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:58 am
holidaysmore wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:54 am Unless ALL of those guys on that starting five make some significant upgrades to their respective games that line up spells trouble to me and I have a bad feeling we will be having the same discussions as we are having now.
Yes, and that’s why I think we need to take a hard look everywhere to bring someone into the program.

Otherwise, we could go into every game like we do now and cross our fingers that we’re getting the hot version of the team.
You have to believe, at least I hope so that Self is thinking the same thing and they have tried or are working on that very thing. For all the reasons every one has mentioned already I find that highly unlikely we add that immediate impact transfer which this roster so desperately needs.

Stagnant assistants, negative recruiting and the NCAA hammer have all played a part in what I would consider a couple of 'mediocre' classes for a school like KU. Was Josh Jackson KU's last real 'one and done'?
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:13 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:58 am

You have to believe, at least I hope so that Self is thinking the same thing and they have tried or are working on that very thing. For all the reasons every one has mentioned already I find that highly unlikely we add that immediate impact transfer which this roster so desperately needs.

Stagnant assistants, negative recruiting and the NCAA hammer have all played a part in what I would consider a couple of 'mediocre' classes for a school like KU. Was Josh Jackson KU's last real 'one and done'?
Billy Preston.

I do also think that Self has strategized a little against getting a bunch of OAD players. He likes experienced guards and saw how shaky of ground it is recruiting like Duke and UK.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:12 am
Reeeeally reaching now.
Asked specifically if he thought the NCAA case, which stems from a federal investigation into corruption in college basketball that was announced in 2017, had kept KU from landing any players, Self said, “Oh yeah. No question. No question it has. Yeah. Absolutely.”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

but I'm sure "who cares about a postseason, come spend your senior year with us!" will be quite the pitch.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and who knows whether Billy Preston would have been a true one and done.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:18 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:12 am
Reeeeally reaching now.
Asked specifically if he thought the NCAA case, which stems from a federal investigation into corruption in college basketball that was announced in 2017, had kept KU from landing any players, Self said, “Oh yeah. No question. No question it has. Yeah. Absolutely.”
We are talking about just 2022, though. A big reason we landed Bryce Thompson was because we knew that in 2021, like in 2022, hammer's not coming down yet.

It's a reach to cite it as a reason you (strangely), don't even think we should attempt bringing someone else in. I think all we need to do is just look at what the best version of this team is and the answer is clear that an attempt needs to be made.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Forgot about Billy 'Charger' Preston.

Nothing against that mindset of filling your roster with four or five OAD because we all know that doesn't work but this year, while weird also shows that filling your roster full of good to average talent won't cut it either.

Crazy to think how Zag got Suggs and by all counts is inline to get Chet.
Holidaysmore - 2005
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

it's not that I don't even think we should attempt it.

it's that I'm not convinced a senior transfer pg, or at any position, will be some kind of silver bullet.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:23 am Forgot about Billy 'Charger' Preston.

Nothing against that mindset of filling your roster with four or five OAD because we all know that doesn't work but this year, while weird also shows that filling your roster full of good to average talent won't cut it either.
A buried storyline of this season is that our possible OAD guard again didn't completely deliver. Yeah, I know he had the injuries, but I hate that pattern.