Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 289

Re: Totally random thread

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Can't spell fucking stupid without a C and U.

https://kdvr.com/news/local/destruction ... ersed-now/
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

lobster wrote: antifa and blm thugs
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so what’s all this random shit about the royal family?

I have lots of questions, with the biggest one being, why should Americans care?
Deleted User 89

i’ve been wondering why so many in this country are so obsessed with British royals since Di died

people have waaaay too much time on their hands
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Didn’t we fight and win a bloody war precisely so we could stop paying attention to those fucks?
Deleted User 289

ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:36 pm Didn’t we fight and win a bloody war precisely so we could stop paying attention to those fucks?
I was going to say if it wasn't for the English there wouldn't be the United States - as you know it today.

On another much more important note to me at the moment - I am a big fan of good cantaloupe.
Right now I am eating bad cantaloupe. It's ruining what was a very nice day.
Nothing a GOOD burger can't/won't fix.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Cantaloupe in March? You deserve what you get.
Broham
Deleted User 289

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:34 pm Cantaloupe in March? You deserve what you get.
I didn't think they were growing cantaloupes outside in Chicago.
Tasted like they may have.
Meanwhile, the Burger I just ate wasn't all that good either.

Deleted User 89

someone needs to invent an app that functions as a 3rd party payer for individual articles that are behind pay walls

the user pre-loads the app with money, and can then buy access to individual articles at the Washington Post, The Athletic, or whomever
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Either that, or just have all media sites be free access but with chicken sammich ads.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Starting with the obligatory: pay for good writing/journalism.

And then, a legal hack: becoming a member of public library(ies) gives you digital access to many prominent news sources that have paywalls.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yes.

And yes.

And man, I’m glad libraries are already a thing.

Could you imagine if they weren’t, and someone was randomly like, “hey let’s have some nominal amount of tax money go toward this public place where everyone in a community can share books and journalism and media...”

in this day and age?!

A significant portion of the country would be so hot snd bothered about it that we’d only be able to discuss on the other bored.
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:10 pm Starting with the obligatory: pay for good writing/journalism.

And then, a legal hack: becoming a member of public library(ies) gives you digital access to many prominent news sources that have paywalls.
1) you should still have to pay, i wasn’t trying to suggest otherwise

2) i hadn’t thought of that at all
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Made butter chicken in the ninja foodi tonight. Fuckin delicious.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Cool, we had a lazy night last night. I made something called chicken fries in our foodi for Mrs 99. She like them, I think they tasted like oil and salt.
Broham
Deleted User 289

Forgot to mention this.
There is a large church (Fourth Presbyterian ) on the corner of Michigan and Delaware.
Every day they serve hot meals to homeless people. Not too sure why but it's done outside kind of away from the street/sidewalk but close enough that you can see where it takes place.
I was walking by today and a seemingly homeless guy rides up on a Gary Fisher bicycle in excellent condition, locks the bike, and gets in line.

Yesterday I was at a local Target. There is kind of a ramp to walk in to the store. A seemingly homeless guy rode his bike up the ramp and proceed to ride his bike in to the store. The security guy told him he couldn't do that. He dropped the bike on the floor and seemed to be nervous to leave it there but he walked away and went to the grocery area. I looked at the bike. It was a child's/girl's purple Little Mermaid bike.

Point/s of my sharing that is/are......
I know there are various charities, churches, etc., that collect and distribute bikes for homeless (and poor) people. My hope and assumption is that's how these two men acquired their bikes. What I found interesting is how it seemed neither man took pride nor shame in their given bikes despite the vast differences in them - but both valued them.

Somewhat reminds me of the homeless guy who used to sit a couple blocks away from the CBOE.
I got to know him. He grew up in Glenview (nice suburb of Chicago) and was a Viet Nam vet who suffered from "mental illness" (PTSD?). Pretty smart guy but claimed he was unable to work.
I will never forget (unless maybe I get Alzheimer's) when one day he said to me, "You're about my size. Would you happen to have any clothes you don't wear? I hate wearing these clown clothes".
He was referring to clothes I assume he may have been given at a shelter or from a church.
Part of me thought the guy had some balls to be complaining about what he is wearing but the other part of me felt really bad for him because he still had pride despite his "bad luck" and he cared how he looked.

Moral of the stories - Perspective can be a whole lot different depending on who is doing it.
Deleted User 89

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:21 pm the lost viking highway

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/hist ... D24E026F2C
Fascinating and awesome...and thats jusy the skim version. Ill read the whole article later when little people go to bed.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I am officially a KU Dad! My daughter just officially announced that she will be headed to KU for college in the fall. Rock Chalk!!!
Deleted User 289

twocoach wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:31 pm I am officially a KU Dad! My daughter just officially announced that she will be headed to KU for college in the fall. Rock Chalk!!!
Congrats! Not sure if I am happier for you or her.