The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by ousdahl »

Here or frightening perspective?

https://www.king5.com/article/news/inve ... b4f4445369

Seattle City Light told public their dam operations increased salmon runs as fish numbers declined
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Deleted User 89

Deleted User 89

shoulda been done decades ago, imo

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ecoc ... n-n1263142

’Ecocide’ movement pushes for a new international crime: Environmental destruction

A growing number of world leaders advocate making ecocide a crime before the International Criminal Court, to serve as a “moral line” for the planet...
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

We have a large colony of cicada killers in our backyard. As soon as the cicadas start hatching these monsters show up and the fight is on. Impressive skills as they can tackle a cicada in flight and take it down.

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

These show up later in the summer to protect our tomatoes from the annual hornworm invasion.

I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 89

fuck some hornworms

my pops curses them to no end
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

So ive lost 2 chickens in the last 3 days. Ive been suspecting a raccoon. Then, last night I hear a chicken scream from what seems to be the neighbors place. I go check my coop, all good, but the horses freak out and i turn to see glowing eyes bounding across the pasture...whatever it is sees me and turns and goes away. Couldn't tell what it was but ive never seen a raccoon move like that. This evening at dusk my dog goes crazy and i look out in time to see something goldish bouncing in the far back pasture. Moved like a cat but too big for a housecat and was headed toward the treeline.....barncats never go to the treeline at dusk. Was too far to get a real confident look but now in guessing i got a bobcat to deal with, or perhaps a young cougar. So far its gotten 2 of my chickens, the neighbor down the roads chicken, and a neighbors barncat.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

bad kitty
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Are there fox in your area?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yea and coyote. But didn't move like a coyote...and coyotes usually take the whole bird.

Mayyybe a fox, but the glompse i got of ot it seemed bigger than a fox and ive never seen a goldish/yellow brown fox; though im sure they exist
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh, they're not taking whole birds? the plot thickens.

coyotes and foxes can come in a lot of hues. Had a black fox in my yard a couple months ago.

but just tryna brainstorm possible culprits. You got a trail cam? Ever trapped critters that big? Or bothered harvesting furbearers?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yea. Its funny. I had a trail cam pointed at the coop for months. Took it down about 2 weeks ago. Need to put that back up. Also, no not tsking the whole bird. Eating the head and guts and breasts. Leaving the wings and legs and back. Not overly scratched up. Thats why i thought raccoon. But THAT wasnt a raccoon. Could be a multiple predator situation. I jave my furbearers license in this state but havent tried trapping anything that big. Ive got a live trap out now and a couple dog proof footholds. Neither if which will take a cat. Im heaistant to put the openjaw footholds or conibears out in the pasture for fear of injuring something i dont wanna catch.

Trailcam is the best start. Either that or i get some night vision binos and a case of beer on the shed roof......
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah put a trail cam up! I'm curious now too. post pics if you get em!

though night vision and beer sounds good too.

how far are you from the Eagle Cap Wilderness? or the Wallowas?

cuz there's these guys too...

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I love the eagle caps, joseph to the snake is the most beautiful part of oregon. Im a n hour or so away though. I have a buddy that saw the first confirmed wolverine sighting in oregon in over 25 years a few years back when he was out scouting for hunting season. Or that's what the ODFW told him
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:39 pm So ive lost 2 chickens in the last 3 days. Ive been suspecting a raccoon. Then, last night I hear a chicken scream from what seems to be the neighbors place. I go check my coop, all good, but the horses freak out and i turn to see glowing eyes bounding across the pasture...whatever it is sees me and turns and goes away. Couldn't tell what it was but ive never seen a raccoon move like that. This evening at dusk my dog goes crazy and i look out in time to see something goldish bouncing in the far back pasture. Moved like a cat but too big for a housecat and was headed toward the treeline.....barncats never go to the treeline at dusk. Was too far to get a real confident look but now in guessing i got a bobcat to deal with, or perhaps a young cougar. So far its gotten 2 of my chickens, the neighbor down the roads chicken, and a neighbors barncat.
my guess would be bobcat

years ago, as a kid growing up in new mexico, we did the 4H thing and had a nice big chicken coop. in the middle of town we had a bobcat get in the coop. pops took care of it with the business end of a 4-10
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Chupacabra

Broham
Deleted User 89

wolverine is a reasonable guess too
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:29 am Chupacabra

Considering it’s Oregon, surprised no one suggested Sasquatch yet.

When I first moved there, this chick was cutting my hair when she casually mentioned, “so I found a 17 inch long footprint last weekend...”

and a friend who grew up there said his HS science teacher would bring in artifacts and evidence, including an alleged Sasquatch turd the size of a chipotle burrito that he kept frozen in a Tupperware bin.