The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by ousdahl »

...but now that I think about it, that might not add up either.

Sasquatches tend to swallow their chickens whole...
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Whoa cool. Imma try to read that later today.

but til then, anyone heard from TDub?

kinda wondering if he got drunk and passed out on top of his shed again
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:29 am Chupacabra

I thought chupacabra looked more like a mangy coyote. That one is way more ancient alien style. Id run from thay if i was a goat
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:03 am Whoa cool. Imma try to read that later today.

Well shit...you never showed up, i had the whole case to myself....
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

not good...at all

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/ ... story.html

a few years ago, the figure i heard from colleagues in the know, was that there are now more invasive species of reptiles and amphibians in south florida, than there are natives
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:13 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:03 am Whoa cool. Imma try to read that later today.

Well shit...you never showed up, i had the whole case to myself....
Yeah, sorry.

I showed up late, counted 29 empty cans on the ground behind the shed and thought, I’m not climbing that ladder just for one beer.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:46 am ...but now that I think about it, that might not add up either.

Sasquatches tend to swallow their chickens whole...
Id also like to think that a supposedly interdimesional species could figure oit the operation of the twist lock on the coop and just take them all.

I know a couple guys thay will a wear up and down that they've seen sasquatch in the eagle caps. I dunno, but who am i to say theyre wrong.....we dont know close to everything
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:28 am
TDub wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:39 pm So ive lost 2 chickens in the last 3 days. Ive been suspecting a raccoon. Then, last night I hear a chicken scream from what seems to be the neighbors place. I go check my coop, all good, but the horses freak out and i turn to see glowing eyes bounding across the pasture...whatever it is sees me and turns and goes away. Couldn't tell what it was but ive never seen a raccoon move like that. This evening at dusk my dog goes crazy and i look out in time to see something goldish bouncing in the far back pasture. Moved like a cat but too big for a housecat and was headed toward the treeline.....barncats never go to the treeline at dusk. Was too far to get a real confident look but now in guessing i got a bobcat to deal with, or perhaps a young cougar. So far its gotten 2 of my chickens, the neighbor down the roads chicken, and a neighbors barncat.
my guess would be bobcat

years ago, as a kid growing up in new mexico, we did the 4H thing and had a nice big chicken coop. in the middle of town we had a bobcat get in the coop. pops took care of it with the business end of a 4-10
Lucky he founs rhe damn thing. Theyre pretty secretive animals.

Also, ive never owned a 410, kinda want one though. Pretty handy round for light work
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

It’s fun to think about.

But, same thing with grizzlies in the San Juans: how long can an apex predator go undetected without any empirical confirmation?

At some point a hunter would shoot one, or one would get hit by a car, or a hunter would shoot one, or a carcass wash up on the shore or something.

With the big difference being, grizzlies really used to be in the San Juans, and a specimen really did show up when it was otherwise not supposed to
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

whoa, how many hunters again?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:20 am
TDub wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:39 pm So ive lost 2 chickens in the last 3 days. Ive been suspecting a raccoon. Then, last night I hear a chicken scream from what seems to be the neighbors place. I go check my coop, all good, but the horses freak out and i turn to see glowing eyes bounding across the pasture...whatever it is sees me and turns and goes away. Couldn't tell what it was but ive never seen a raccoon move like that. This evening at dusk my dog goes crazy and i look out in time to see something goldish bouncing in the far back pasture. Moved like a cat but too big for a housecat and was headed toward the treeline.....barncats never go to the treeline at dusk. Was too far to get a real confident look but now in guessing i got a bobcat to deal with, or perhaps a young cougar. So far its gotten 2 of my chickens, the neighbor down the roads chicken, and a neighbors barncat.
my guess would be bobcat

years ago, as a kid growing up in new mexico, we did the 4H thing and had a nice big chicken coop. in the middle of town we had a bobcat get in the coop. pops took care of it with the business end of a 4-10

Also, ive never owned a 410, kinda want one though. Pretty handy round for light work
Well, she don't make me nervous, she don't talk too much
She walks like Bo Diddley and she don't need no crutch
She keeps this 410 all loaded with lead
Well, if I go down dyin', you know
She's bound to put a blanket on my bed
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:11 am
jhawks99 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:29 am Chupacabra

I thought chupacabra looked more like a mangy coyote. That one is way more ancient alien style. Id run from thay if i was a goat
This is the Puerto Rican chupacabra. The ones in Texas are more like the mangy coyotes.
Broham
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:20 am
my guess would be bobcat

my pops has 2...one of which is probably close to 80 years old now. it wasn’t made with the best materials, so the barrel/chamber heats up pretty quick causing the shells to get stuck and not eject. they really are just about the perfect little shotguns though

we had some ranching buddies that skinned and tanned the hide for us, but for some reason we didn’t keep it...can’t remember why. we did, however, keep all four paws and had them made into key chains (obviously way too big to be practical). being the irresponsible kid i was (was probably 7 or 8), i ended up loosing mine
Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:21 am It’s fun to think about.

But, same thing with grizzlies in the San Juans: how long can an apex predator go undetected without any empirical confirmation?

At some point a hunter would shoot one, or one would get hit by a car, or a hunter would shoot one, or a carcass wash up on the shore or something.

With the big difference being, grizzlies really used to be in the San Juans, and a specimen really did show up when it was otherwise not supposed to
this is particularly true for the US

there are still new species being discovered that are large and conspicuous enough to make one question how it had escaped the eyes of biologists until now, but these are in developing countries that haven’t been under near the scrutiny that the US has
Last edited by Deleted User 89 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and just how many guns are in Merica.

We have a bad enough problem with shooting things we already know about. It should just be a matter of time til somebody shoots something we didn't know about
Deleted User 89

wrong bored?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess I meant that only in the context of the great outdoors, and of confirming unidentified megafauna in Merica
Deleted User 89

here’s a random fact for y’all i just learned:

the common name “White Rhino” us actually the result of a bad translation from the Danish in which the species was originally described

the Dutch called them wijd rhinos... wijd actually means wide, and refers to wide upper lip the species has that facilitates grazing

then the English came along and fucked it up