Tyty Washington

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Tyty Washington

Post by pdub »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:36 pm I am not knowledgable on recruits lately -- is this dude better than the Louisville de-commit we got?
Pettiford 88th, 14th PG.
Cuffe 98th, 11th SG - but for class of 2022.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

When Self said he wants to get more athletic, replacing Thompson with Cuffe fits that.

Good defender off the bench, too.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

Self seems to be constructing a roster that makes much more sense stylistically than last year. Good.

But damn. We outchea getting excited about top 100 guys. I can't wait to get by any NCAA punishment so Bill can start hauling top 10s again.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I hear ya hasbeen.

If we loose Ochai and Jalen and gain two barely top 100 dudes who haven't played a lick of CBB in their lives, we really aren't better off.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Jalens coming back. Och. 52 48 that he returns.
Just Ledoux it
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I want our draft duo back and an upgrade at point over Garrett/Harris. Then ready to rock.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes.
That's a contender.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

So it would be yet to be named PG, JY, OA, JW, DM?
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:02 pm So it would be yet to be named PG, JY, OA, JW, DM?
whatever you do on this bored, don’t bench Haunkey Taunk
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

hasbeen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:02 pm So it would be yet to be named PG, JY, OA, JW, DM?
Yes, but we could definitely see a CB in there instead of JY.

I think Drake is going to be a great pickup for us, but even Malik, with a good freshman season and a year of the red team had a slower transition, even getting benched in January. And he was a dude out of HS and at MSU.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

called it :)
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:05 pm

I think Drake is going to be a great pickup for us, but even Malik, with a good freshman season and a year of the red team had a slower transition, even getting benched in January. And he was a dude out of HS and at MSU.
They were headed in different directions though. Newman was considered a surefire one and done going into MSU. His last 8 games with them he scored 6, 7, 5, 8, 0, 3, 17, and 7. Whereas Yesufu went from bench player to being one of the best players in the country. Last 8 he went for 32, 36, 16, 21, 25, 12, 21, and 26.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Mjl wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:13 pm

They were headed in different directions though. Newman was considered a surefire one and done going into MSU. His last 8 games with them he scored 6, 7, 5, 8, 0, 3, 17, and 7. Whereas Yesufu went from bench player to being one of the best players in the country. Last 8 he went for 32, 36, 16, 21, 25, 12, 21, and 26.
I think Newman's RS year trumps any end of season trends.

It's asking a ton to have a newcomer just step in at KU. We're not running the dribble drive, you can't just pick this stuff up after a week of practice.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

This may sound a bit strange, but Self's offense for a guard is somewhat simple. It's the big guys who have to be in the right spots at the right time. Lots of times, as a guard in his offense, you wait for the ball to come to you in a certain spot and you go. Maybe 7 seconds of work on a 30 second clock while the big works and moves all 30 seconds.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It's a fair point, but again, the two season sample against bad MVC competition leaves questions marks.

This isn't like a Reid Travis add where you just plug him in. EVERY young guard we have had here had a tough time under Self early.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah.

Last year, at least, I freakin wish we woulda ran a dribble drive

...or any offense at all
Last edited by ousdahl on Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:16 pm

I think Newman's RS year trumps any end of season trends.

It's asking a ton to have a newcomer just step in at KU. We're not running the dribble drive, you can't just pick this stuff up after a week of practice.
Bingo.

My theory is that it is Self's strictness on nailing assignments. Defensive off-ball positioning/switching. And, moving the ball on offense.

CB has a leg up there on anyone incoming. It is a big reason why he played as a freshman.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 pm This may sound a bit strange, but Self's offense for a guard is somewhat simple. It's the big guys who have to be in the right spots at the right time. Lots of times, as a guard in his offense, you wait for the ball to come to you in a certain spot and you go. Maybe 7 seconds of work on a 30 second clock while the big works and moves all 30 seconds.
I brought up dribble drive as a shot at UK.

Self expects a lot from his guards, a lot that isn't just running the offense. especially with the switch all screens defense among other things.

And I think it's recognizing that you have to do more than stand and wait that separates the good guards from the great ones. Devonte, Mason, those guys got better with time.

The NBA talent guys were great too, Henry, Wiggins, McLemore, etc. But even then, how often were we angry at their passiveness? They needed time to understand when to pick their spots.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:19 pm

It's a fair point, but again, the two season sample against bad MVC competition leaves questions marks.

This isn't like a Reid Travis add where you just plug him in. EVERY young guard we have had here had a tough time under Self early.
I understand and agree that you can't just plug him in, sure, it will take a couple months.

But two of those games referenced were not against MVC opponents, they were against Wichita State and USC, both which knew that he was the guy they needed to focus their defense on, and he still lit them up pretty good.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Put me on team CB.