Tyty Washington

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Tyty Washington

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Dave's fadeaway often occurred after asking for/catching the ball in a bad spot. I said several times during the season you could almost always tell whether Dave was going to make or miss the basket as soon as he caught the ball.

Honestly, if he improves that, you're looking at a first team league type player. If you watch a highlight video of his, he looks every bit the part. It's the stuff you have to edit out that makes you see that he's a nice player, but not an alpha.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

At least he was asking for the ball, tho?

It’ll be nice to have players who wanna be that guy again
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:08 am And re: 5 star guards, it’s crazy that the only one who really panned out was Dotson. (Wait, Chalmers too, even though he was more off the ball, at least to get going)

Our best guards in Frank and Devonte (and heck, Tyshawn) weren’t super high ranked, and even ended up at KU on in pretty roundabout ways, but ended up overachieving relative to HS rankings.
I think a lot of it is Self's assignment obsession that we discussed earlier. The higher ranked guys just aren't going to or don't want to stick around to nail those.

It is also the recruiting rankings in general. The rankings are set up to gauge a player's potential for his entire career, not just the one season in college. So, you're going to have several guys in the top 15 that have all the physical traits and athleticism at 18 years old, but a lot of lower ranked guys are going to be more skilled and just be better basketball players, at least in the immediate timeframe.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Dave doesn't have anywhere near the athletic ability Dok has. He isn't going to do what Dok did. There is a reason Dok broke all time records and it's because of his unique abilities. You don't just say "hey dave watch this tape of Dok and do what he did".
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Now do Landen Lucas
Deleted User 863

Dave has played 1 meaningful year of minutes at KU. He will be much better next year.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:16 am Now do Landen Lucas
That's more like it. He can learn to do those things well and make himself a better all around player.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah. Dave needs to be more a rich man’s Landen, and less a poor man’s Dirk.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:08 am And re: 5 star guards, it’s crazy that the only one who really panned out was Dotson. (Wait, Chalmers too, even though he was more off the ball, at least to get going).

Our best guards in Frank and Devonte (and heck, Tyshawn) weren’t super high ranked, and even ended up at KU on in pretty roundabout ways, but ended up overachieving relative to HS rankings.

Even then, we haven’t attracted a ton of 5 star guard talent...Selby? Anyone else?

Our 5 stars tended to be more wings and bigs.
Sherron
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Henry was a guard.
Selby.
Selden was a guard.
Does Malik count - he was 5 stars.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:19 am Yeah. Dave needs to be more a rich man’s Landen, and less a poor man’s Dirk.
I think he just needs better awareness/shot selection.

His turnaround jumper is fine if there are 5 seconds left on the shot clock, but it's not a great shot with 20 seconds left.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:02 am And how the hell do we get guys who can't shoot? Every kid I know just shoots 3's all day.
^^^ This x 1 million, at least ^^^

I am still baffled by the notion that a guard/wing can make it to D1 college basketball these days without the ability to shoot a FUCKIN' jump shot.
Ain't no seats
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:19 am Yeah. Dave needs to be more a rich man’s Landen, and less a poor man’s Dirk.
No.
Dave does not just need to be the ( rich ) king of putback layups with little to no offensive threat beyond a lob.
He's a far better player offensively than Lucas.

I'd put money on him being 1st team Big 12 next year.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:13 pm
I think he just needs better awareness/shot selection.

His turnaround jumper is fine if there are 5 seconds left on the shot clock, but it's not a great shot with 20 seconds left.
Yes.
And if he's alone from 15 feet out and people are backing down off him, I think he can and should take that shot too.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:18 am
PhDhawk wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:02 am
Sparko wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:59 am Self may need to consider offense over defense. Garrett was a great defender, but cost us points on the other end.
Didn't someone quote self recently saying, something like, you can teach a scorer to defend, you can't always teach a defender to score.

He needs to remember that.

Recruit scorers, play the ones who defend.

And how the hell do we get guys who can't shoot? Every kid I know just shoots 3's all day.
I wonder if the game changing to more perimeter oriented is also hurting Self on the recruiting trail/roster construction. We knew early on with him that we were going to get really great big guys, and we have. It's always been a struggle to get the kind of guards that Kentucky and Duke were getting. When you aren't thought of as the type of coach that wants to score through the guards, you're going to get negatively recruited on them.
Kentucky fans bag on Calipari's recruiting in that he doesn't go after enough shooters, either.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:10 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:18 am
PhDhawk wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:02 am

Didn't someone quote self recently saying, something like, you can teach a scorer to defend, you can't always teach a defender to score.

He needs to remember that.

Recruit scorers, play the ones who defend.

And how the hell do we get guys who can't shoot? Every kid I know just shoots 3's all day.
I wonder if the game changing to more perimeter oriented is also hurting Self on the recruiting trail/roster construction. We knew early on with him that we were going to get really great big guys, and we have. It's always been a struggle to get the kind of guards that Kentucky and Duke were getting. When you aren't thought of as the type of coach that wants to score through the guards, you're going to get negatively recruited on them.
Kentucky fans bag on Calipari's recruiting in that he doesn't go after enough shooters, either.
Kind of a this season thing, though, right? Not a lot of shooters better than Booker.

But, as I said in a different post, that's a little bit of the deal with recruiting Top 10 dudes--often more athlete than skill at 18 years old.
InfiniteJ
Contributor

Post by InfiniteJ »

Speaking of Kentucky and TyTy; sounds like there is a lot of mutual interest and a lot of "crystal ball" picks are trending in that direction, for whatever that's worth.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

InfiniteJ wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:15 pm Speaking of Kentucky and TyTy; sounds like there is a lot of mutual interest and a lot of "crystal ball" picks are trending in that direction, for whatever that's worth.
Cal landing Hickman and TyTy in the same class, yeesh. UK fans still bitch--no fans are happy.
Wiff

Post by Wiff »

Tyty's Top 6 listed: KU, Baylor, Kentucky, Arizona, LSU, Oregon
Ain't no seats
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I sort of enjoy when the “Self doesn’t promise anyone anything” fanboy balloon is punctured.

https://twitter.com/jayhawkslant/status ... 27329?s=21