Royals

Other Sports.
Leawood

Re: Royals

Post by Leawood »

From work yesterday, just watching the espn up to data box score, I saw Matheny insert the pitcher as batter. Anybody else notice that.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Leawood wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:02 am From work yesterday, just watching the espn up to data box score, I saw Matheny insert the pitcher as batter. Anybody else notice that.
I hadn’t seen it, but I know he was a bit of a double-switch maniac in St. Louis. I suppose in the AL there may be a narrow sweet spot to give up the DH very late in the game, where the DH spot is unlikely to come up again (given the gimmicky extra innings rules).
Deleted User 865

Post by Deleted User 865 »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:46 am
vega wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:48 pm Detroit is terrible, but sweeping any MLB team on their home field, especially divisional, is a reason to get excited
Haven't swept em yet (getaway game at noon today).

Are the Royals going to go 102-60? They're not.

But it's more likely that they'll win 90 games now than 70, and it's enormous to keep stacking up these wins when you're still getting nothing/effectively nothing from Witt/Soler/Mondesi. And Dozier/Keller, to a lesser extent.

This is exactly the sort of thing you want to do - buy yourself a bit of a cushion - if you want to get to July and have really interesting decisions to make (on which prospects do you start the clock?; do you spin any prospects for lineup help now?).
Never heard of a Thursday to Monday Series. This is a thing?
Deleted User 865

Leawood wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:02 am From work yesterday, just watching the espn up to data box score, I saw Matheny insert the pitcher as batter. Anybody else notice that.
He did something weird on Saturday's game, but it was to preserve Dyson as a possible replacement for Salvy if it went to extra innings to be the runner on second. My guess is this is something similar. Trying to line up the runners/line up for a possible tenth inning.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I believe it was forced due to DH position switched to the field. It was ho-hum because Brenz had gone two innings and the PH for him in the ninth.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

vega wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:09 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:46 am
vega wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:48 pm Detroit is terrible, but sweeping any MLB team on their home field, especially divisional, is a reason to get excited
Haven't swept em yet (getaway game at noon today).

Are the Royals going to go 102-60? They're not.

But it's more likely that they'll win 90 games now than 70, and it's enormous to keep stacking up these wins when you're still getting nothing/effectively nothing from Witt/Soler/Mondesi. And Dozier/Keller, to a lesser extent.

This is exactly the sort of thing you want to do - buy yourself a bit of a cushion - if you want to get to July and have really interesting decisions to make (on which prospects do you start the clock?; do you spin any prospects for lineup help now?).
Never heard of a Thursday to Monday Series. This is a thing?
Very rare but happens mostly early in the year.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Stteeeeeerrriiiiike.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Nice bounceback for Keller after that triple and soft bloop single.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Roys killing it in small ball. Double, sac bunt to move runner, sac fly. Score a run. Like clockwork.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Not pretty but Keller is doing well getting out of jams.

Deleted User 865

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:50 pm Not pretty but Keller is doing well getting out of jams.
That was the most uncomfortable 5 inning, 2 run baseball I've seen a SP have in a while. Lucky the Tigers are terrible.
Deleted User 865

WTF, they are leaving Keller in there?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I guess, gotta stretch him out at some point..?

10 pitch inning though. His cleanest inning of the game.

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Barlow walks first batter. Great.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Steeeeeeiiiirrriiiiiike.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Barlow with quite the inning there.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Got damn Holland. Nice inning after that triple.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Game blouses.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Can't really ask for a better start to the season. 14-7 and a 4 game road sweep of a divisional opponent.

Crazy
Deleted User 865

First four game sweep on the road since 1999. This is how you make for meaningful baseball in the late summer.