We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by ousdahl »

And with LA in particular, the life-imitates-art of all the cool cars featured in the earlier films coming outta Hollywood
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

So it’s basically PhD:Bay Area/Israel as ousie:Texas

I think it’s a larger n for the latter
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So PhD hates the bay cuz he went there and couldn’t get an early checkin?
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I love LA, but I wouldn't want to live there. I was born there and we moved to KC when I was three. It's a great city to visit. We stay near the beach in Santa Monica and then Uber to The Miracle Mile or take the train to downtown. You have the Broad, the Disney, MOCA, LACMA, The Peterson and the La Brea tar pits. After taking in the sites during the day we go back to the beach for dinner in Venice or Santa Monica. There are some very good restaurants there. Sunny Blue in Santa Monica serves incredible Japanese rice balls, we got about half our meals there last trip out. LA is like any large city, there is good and bad. The good is very good.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

japhy wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:08 pm I love LA, but I wouldn't want to live there. I was born there and we moved to KC when I was three. It's a great city to visit. We stay near the beach in Santa Monica and then Uber to The Miracle Mile or take the train to downtown. You have the Broad, the Disney, MOCA, LACMA, The Peterson and the La Brea tar pits. After taking in the sites during the day we go back to the beach for dinner in Venice or Santa Monica. There are some very good restaurants there. Sunny Blue in Santa Monica serves incredible Japanese rice balls, we got about half our meals there last trip out. LA is like any large city, there is good and bad. The good is very good.
Agreed.
LA isn't all Compton, California isn't all LA.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

zsn wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:47 pm So it’s basically PhD:Bay Area/Israel as ousie:Texas as zsn:the Dakotas

I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

zsn wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:47 pm So it’s basically PhD:Bay Area/Israel as ousie:Texas

Yes, the n probably is larger, but both are statistically significant, Texans have a MUCH MUCH better batting average than "the bay area". In fact it's not even close. In fact, even though I've been around more texans, the TOTAL number of assholes from Texas is less then the number of assholes from "the bay area" by a very wide margin.

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:55 pm
zsn wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:07 pm I’m trying to understand PhD’s irrational hate of the Bay Area. Did you try to go see the GG Bridge in shorts and tank top in July and freeze yourself? Did someone from Berkeley or Stanford scoop you??
My hatred is rational.

If God gave america an enema, it would be in "the bay area". The literal and figurative asshole of this fine country.
El Paso asks you to hold its drink
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:51 pm
zsn wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:07 pm I’m trying to understand PhD’s irrational hate of the Bay Area. Did you try to go see the GG Bridge in shorts and tank top in July and freeze yourself? Did someone from Berkeley or Stanford scoop you??
My hatred is rational.

If God gave america an enema, it would be in "the bay area". The literal and figurative asshole of this fine country.
One city makes a delicious salsa.

The other makes Rice-a-fucking-roni.

You do the math.

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

lol
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:27 pm
zsn wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:47 pm So it’s basically PhD:Bay Area/Israel as ousie:Texas

Yes, the n probably is larger, but both are statistically significant, Texans have a MUCH MUCH better batting average than "the bay area". In fact it's not even close. In fact, even though I've been around more texans, the TOTAL number of assholes from Texas is less then the number of assholes from "the bay area" by a very wide margin.
Aren’t you dealing with these peeps in a professional contact for work kinda way? Like both parties related to work matters.

Much of my relationship comes from peeps on vacation, which is a whole different animal.

And honestly, if given a choice, at this point I’d take my chances with a Texan before dealing with anyone from Oklahoma.

Everything bad about Texans plus with some weird little brother to the north syndrome to go with it
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I got nothing visceral against the Dakotas. I just think that they have an outsized influence on stifling progress (along with Wyoming, Montana and other assorted riffraff). I suppose it’s the same misguided logic which declared that some people are only worth 60% of themselves that also gave these areas an exaggerated position in governance but I know it’s not the fault of the people who live there now. What is the fault of the people who live there is their choice of elected officials- who are certifiably bigoted.

FWIW, Santorum (the person, not the bodily effluent) feels that there was nothing there before the white people showed up. But I’m not butt hurt about them.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Using the term butt hurt when discussing Santorum lulz
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Glad you picked up on that 😂😂
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

My hatred is rational.

I've lived outside Detroit, Cleveland and in Delaware. This country has plenty of cities that could be called the asshole of the nation.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:41 am

My hatred is rational.

I've lived outside Detroit, Cleveland and in Delaware. This country has plenty of cities that could be called the asshole of the nation.
OK, but only one place has the people who are the asshole of the nation.

The bay area.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

What part of outside Detroit?

I grew up in Monroe, a rust belty small town perfectly in between Detroit and Toledo. Growing up, I never realized how used to it I was to see old abandoned factories with broken windows and shit, until going back to visit after we moved to joco with new money strip malls everywhere.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Phd, have you spent much time around the Bay Area, or just dealt with assholes from there?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:05 am Phd, have you spent much time around the Bay Area, or just dealt with assholes from there?
The assholes from the Bay area won't shut the fuck up about it, so it feels like I've lived there my entire life.

I also hate the weather, like Mark Twain famously said, "The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in The Bay Area." That's something LA has in spades over the bay area...sunshine.

Have you spent much time in Texas, or just dealt with rubes from there?

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Nope. Never even been to Oklahoma.

But yeah, same thing, they’re so busy telling me how great they think their state is that it makes me wonder why they ever bothered coming here.