Deleted User 89

anybody have a gopro?

Post by Deleted User 89 »

thoughts?

recommendations?
CrimsonNBlue

Re: anybody have a gopro?

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Not sure how helpful this is, but they seem to have a very loyal following, you hear very few bad things, and it is a clear market leader (and therefore, also, a lot of 3rd party accessories). Anecdotally, the photos/vidoes our friends take while snorkeling and scuba look pretty damn good to me.

Kind of like an iPhone, you'll pay a little bit of a luxury tax, but would be surprised if you hate it.
Deleted User 89

thanks, C&B

i figure as much as we travel, and with where we live, it might be worthwhile

however, i bought a nice DSLR camera several years ago, and most often it’s more trouble than its worth since both my wife and i take our phones with us most everywhere
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I am so far from a camera expert, but I do love to travel. We don't really do a lot of the "adventure" travel where we need a camera strapped to our heads outside of snorkeling, which, I can google pics of fish. Mostly taking awesome view photos or nice pics of us together. For that, the latest smartphones are more than sufficient.

A DSLR would also be great for that scenario, but if you want footage while rock climbing in Utah, then I I think you will get plenty of value out of a GoPro.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

The one thing I have contemplated pulling the trigger on is a good drone. But, quite concerned it would bore me after a couple months.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I don’t have one personally, but have worked with them for work and with friends.

They’re pretty cool. Waterproof, tough, compact, easy to mount somewhere and not worry about it. I think they’ve become more user friendly, and lots of models and features.

If there are downsides, it’s that it’s damn near as expensive as an iPhone, but unlike an iPhone, all it does is take pictures/videos.

The models I used had only fisheye pens and subpar sound quality, but that’s prob better now.
Deleted User 89

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:38 pm The one thing I have contemplated pulling the trigger on is a good drone. But, quite concerned it would bore me after a couple months.
i’ve considered one as well
Deleted User 865

Post by Deleted User 865 »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:31 pm thanks, C&B

i figure as much as we travel, and with where we live, it might be worthwhile

however, i bought a nice DSLR camera several years ago, and most often it’s more trouble than its worth since both my wife and i take our phones with us most everywhere
If you are just taking actual photos, and not something that will endanger the camera, and you can afford it (which if you are going GoPro route, you likely can) go for something along the range of Canon - PowerShot G7 X Mark II. They are super powerful, probably better than a DSLR with a default lens. They basically are the size your wife can put it in her jean pockets. My photog friend used his G5 X back in the day more than his DSLR.

GoPros are more if you are going to do anything where your camera is going to take any kind of damage, but aren't going to be versatile enough for vacation shots. Usually the Zoom is digital in GoPros, which looks like crap. You need to be in the action for GoPros to really shine.
Deleted User 89

one of the big draws is the car mount, but also the versatility to take scuba or sky diving
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Zoom is a good point too.

Not familiar if they have any sort of zoom feature, but if they do, it’s prob digital, which sucks
Deleted User 865

Are you taking video or photos? And my question to you, how often are you Sky Diving or Scuba Diving? If this is an active hobby, GoPro would be the answer and keep a DLSR on your shoulder when doing something special, and keep a good iPhone in your pocket.

If you just want to try Sky Diving, you can rent them usually, or borrow one.

And what are you doing with your car you want to mount a camera on it? You might live a little more exciting life than I imagined.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

vega wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:00 pmAnd what are you doing with your car you want to mount a camera on it? You might live a little more exciting life than I imagined.
Apparently I-70 in Utah is not the same as it is in Kansas.
Deleted User 865

ousdahl wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:58 pm Zoom is a good point too.

Not familiar if they have any sort of zoom feature, but if they do, it’s prob digital, which sucks
Their normal line is static lens with digital zoom. I feel life I've seen one with a small lens too, but I got to imagine it's a lot more pricey since my lens cost more than my camera bodies.

The G7 X has a really good lens that I think 24-100mm (equivalent) f/1.8-2.8. I have a static 1.8/50mm lens that I love. So good in low light, but you have to line things up perfect to get it in frame. I would love to be able to have a range for a 1.8 lens but they are pricey.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:02 pm
vega wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:00 pmAnd what are you doing with your car you want to mount a camera on it? You might live a little more exciting life than I imagined.
Apparently I-70 in Utah is not the same as it is in Kansas.
Trad lives his life a quarter mile at a time.

Deleted User 89

vega wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:00 pm Are you taking video or photos? And my question to you, how often are you Sky Diving or Scuba Diving? If this is an active hobby, GoPro would be the answer and keep a DLSR on your shoulder when doing something special, and keep a good iPhone in your pocket.

If you just want to try Sky Diving, you can rent them usually, or borrow one.

And what are you doing with your car you want to mount a camera on it? You might live a little more exciting life than I imagined.
this would really be for videos. if it were photos, if just be popping on a better lens fir the DSLR.

we’ve not been scuba diving, but are talking about getting certified. we’ve just got too many diving friends in cool places around the globe to not try and take advantage. we’ve both been sky diving multiple times, and the wife has even talked about getting certified to go solo.

the big thing is just here in Utah, though...most of our travels, either for day trips or camping, go through beautiful country (even along I-70 lol), either en route or as the destination

I-70 from Green River to Salina has some really stunning scenery, fwiw
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

A buddy of mine had a go-pro in his car. He as this crazy woman driving, running red lights, hitting cars, running red lights and stuff. He calls 911 and follows her, describing where he's at and what she is doing. The cops catch up to her and arrest her. The cops tell him that she'll probably get off lightly as there isn't proof and the 911 call ain't enough proof. He says, "Want the video?" They synched it up with the 911 call and she spent some time in the pokey.
Broham
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:48 pm A buddy of mine had a go-pro in his car. He as this crazy woman driving, running red lights, hitting cars, running red lights and stuff. He calls 911 and follows her, describing where he's at and what she is doing. The cops catch up to her and arrest her. The cops tell him that she'll probably get off lightly as there isn't proof and the 911 call ain't enough proof. He says, "Want the video?" They synched it up with the 911 call and she spent some time in the pokey.
For our car that she commutes to Lawrence in, I installed a dash cam. There are just too many nonsensical drivers/people out there. Police, insurance, or even to help the mechanic out if the car is running weird.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Aren’t dash cams a much more common thing in other counties where insurance fraud is apparently much more common?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I have seen it more prevalent in other countries but do not particularly know the reason why they are more prevalent. Could just be what everyone tends to do.

It is becoming quite common here as rideshare has exploded and dash cam and memory card prices have sharply fallen.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:50 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:38 pm The one thing I have contemplated pulling the trigger on is a good drone. But, quite concerned it would bore me after a couple months.
i’ve considered one as well
There's a guy in my neighborhood who takes 'em out with a .410.