We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by twocoach »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/07/us/p ... cords.html

"The Justice Department under President Donald J. Trump secretly obtained the phone records for three reporters at The Washington Post from the early months of the Trump administration, the newspaper disclosed on Friday."

I won't hold my breath waiting for Republicans to be outraged about any Constitutional Freedom of the Press issues.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

""He added, “The targets of these investigations are not the news media recipients but rather those with access to the national defense information who provided it to the media and thus failed to protect it as lawfully required.”"
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Ever hear about the Pentagon Papers?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:28 pm ""He added, “The targets of these investigations are not the news media recipients but rather those with access to the national defense information who provided it to the media and thus failed to protect it as lawfully required.”"
Which means that they got wiretaps on these reporters despite them not even being the targets of the investigations.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Poor Liz Cheney. What a disgrace the GOP is.

A victim of “cancel culture”

CULTure. Don’t agree with Orange Man? We will cancel you!
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

sdoyel wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:00 am Poor Liz Cheney. What a disgrace the GOP is.

She no longer represents the opinions of a majority of Congressional Republican Party members so I understand why she is being removed from Republican Party leadership. It just sucks for her (and the Republican Party and the nation as a whole) that "not a lying sycophant on her knees kissing up to Trump the Liar" removes you from the majority group of the Republican Party.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

sdoyel wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:00 am Poor Liz Cheney. What a disgrace the GOP is.

but i thought cancel culture was run by libs?
Deleted User 89

twocoach wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:14 am

She no longer represents the opinions of a majority of Congressional Republican Party members so I understand why she is being removed from Republican Party leadership. It just sucks for her (and the Republican Party and the nation as a whole) that "not a lying sycophant on her knees kissing up to Trump the Liar" removes you from the majority group of the Republican Party.
this is about trump, and nothing more

they’re cutting off their nose to spite their face

i could understand if this was about a change in actual policy or platform, but it’s clearly not
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

While I don’t necessarily feel “sorry” for Cheney this episode just proves that this is what is important to congressional Republicans. Devoid of any redeeming qualities.
Deleted User 89

i only feel sorry for her in the sense that she’s being “punished” for having a spine and a bit on integrity
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:27 am i only feel sorry for her in the sense that she’s being “punished” for having a spine and a bit on integrity
It's also true - and she'd only be human if this was very much in her calculus - that she's now set herself up for a massive contract to be the "rational Republican" on CNN or MSNBC.
Deleted User 89

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:31 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:27 am i only feel sorry for her in the sense that she’s being “punished” for having a spine and a bit on integrity
It's also true - and she'd only be human if this was very much in her calculus - that she's now set herself up for a massive contract to be the "rational Republican" on CNN or MSNBC.
which i’m good with if she replaces the dipshit in the sweater vest
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

More than 100 Republicans, including some former elected officials, are preparing to release a letter this week threatening to form a third party if the Republican Party does not make certain changes, according to an organizer of the effort.

The statement is expected to take aim at former President Donald J. Trump’s stranglehold on Republicans, which signatories to the document have deemed unconscionable.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/11/us/p ... trump.html
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

She is not woke to the divinity of trump and the intellectual honesty of lying with every breath.

She had to be banished from the cult, they had to make an example of someone who had power. This is how life is going to be when you accept the Lord of the Rubes as your savior and master.

The beautiful irony being that her father's administration famously said, “That’s not the way the world really works anymore. We’re an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you’re studying that reality — judiciously, as you will — we’ll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that’s how things will sort out."
Last edited by japhy on Thu May 13, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

japhy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:16 am
She is not woke to the divinity of trump and the intellectual honesty of lying with every breath.

She had to be banished from the cult, they had to make an example of someone who had power. This is how life is going to be when you accept the Lord of the Rubes as your savior and master.

The beautiful irony being that her father's administration famously said, “That’s not the way the world really works anymore. We’re an empire now, and when we act, we create our own reality. And while you’re studying that reality — judiciously, as you will — we’ll act again, creating other new realities, which you can study too, and that’s how things will sort out."
There's a reasonably-foreseeable outcome here where allowing herself (to be clear - a GOP hardliner) to be cast as a "moderate" R ends up paying enormous political and/or financial dividends.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what’s a “moderate” R?

Is that like a dodo bird?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:38 am
japhy wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:16 am

There's a reasonably-foreseeable outcome here where allowing herself (to be clear - a GOP hardliner) to be cast as a "moderate" R ends up paying enormous political and/or financial dividends.
We do not seem to be in "reasonable" times.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/news-polls/ ... nald-trump

"However, support for Trump among his Republican base remains strong as 55% of Republicans believe his 2020 election loss resulted from illegal voting or election rigging. Paradoxically, 35% of Republicans agreed with both of the following theories: that the people who gathered at the U.S. Capitol on Jan 6th were peaceful, law-abiding Americans and that it was actually led by violent left-wing protestors trying to make Trump look bad. To that end, 81% of Republicans still view Trump favorably."
Deleted User 89

#alternativefacts
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73