Another mass shooting

Ugh.
zsn
Contributor

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by zsn »

Not that far from where we live. All over the news here, as would be expected. Probably below the radar elsewhere due to violence fatigue. Or, they have their own mass shooting to cover.

As Gutter eloquently said, Just Another Day in the United States of America. The Prolife Party is too busy spreading White Supremacy and regulating uteruses (uteri?)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

utereese

like the plural of goose
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

I swear on my and my mother's lives, I thought to myself before I checked "the news" that - I wonder where there was a mass shooting last night.
Sure enough - I now have my answer.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/30/us/flori ... index.html
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Gang related retaliation. Apparently gang activity is on the rise again and gang numbers exploded during the pandemic due to schools closed and people home with nothing to do and no money
Just Ledoux it
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

TDub wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:06 am Gang related retaliation. Apparently gang activity is on the rise again and gang numbers exploded during the pandemic due to schools closed and people home with nothing to do and no money
Wait, I thought they had too much money
Which is it?
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I think we're handing out too much free money. That doesnt mean people have money.
Just Ledoux it
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Nicest mall in the area:

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Nice Mall is an oxymoron
Just Ledoux it
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

How sad has society become that this type of incident sparks such a reaction?

Mass shootings are a problem. A big problem that we need to address.

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 880

sdoyel wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:28 pm How sad has society become that this type of incident sparks such a reaction?

How sad has society become when not only the media feels the need to say there is/was a shooting at a mall but the _________ police tweeted it too - without it being verified?

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MJ23 wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 5:33 pm
sdoyel wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 3:28 pm How sad has society become that this type of incident sparks such a reaction?

How sad has society become when not only the media feels the need to say there is/was a shooting at a mall but the _________ police tweeted it too - without it being verified?

We as a society have chosen fast over confirmed. If they get a report of shots fired, they have to respond to it first to confirm it. I dont have a problem with them reporting that there was a report that they need to look into.
Deleted User 880

I agree in regards that we as a society have chosen fast over confirmed.
As I try to explain to young people, when I was a child there was no internet and no cable TV. No cell phones and of course no "social media".
We got our news either on the radio, on the local TV news at 5:00pm, the national news at 5:30pm, or the next morning/day in the newspaper. Very little was reported instantly unless it was a full blown tragedy/disaster.
As far as the Dallas Police tweeting yesterday they were "heading to a shooting incident" - I might be "anal" in saying this but I feel they should have used the words POSSIBLE and/or UNCONFIRMED.
I don't/wouldn't doubt that people called the police to say there was a shooting at the mall so I do cut them SOME slack but imagine being someone who had a loved one at the mall and freaking out wondering if they had been shot.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MJ23 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:40 am I agree in regards that we as a society have chosen fast over confirmed.
As I try to explain to young people, when I was a child there was no internet and no cable TV. No cell phones and of course no "social media".
We got our news either on the radio, on the local TV news at 5:00pm, the national news at 5:30pm, or the next morning/day in the newspaper. Very little was reported instantly unless it was a full blown tragedy/disaster.
As far as the Dallas Police tweeting yesterday they were "heading to a shooting incident" - I might be "anal" in saying this but I feel they should have used the words POSSIBLE and/or UNCONFIRMED.
I don't/wouldn't doubt that people called the police to say there was a shooting at the mall so I do cut them SOME slack but imagine being someone who had a loved one at the mall and freaking out wondering if they had been shot.
I'd rather be freaking out because of something that didn't end up being the case than being headed for the location and not notified that there was a possible active shooter situation. A person would have to be actively following the Dallas Police department to be aware of what they posted for it to cause them concern. Frankly, if you're following your local police department on social media then odds are you're always worrying over something.
Deleted User 880

twocoach wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:05 am
MJ23 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:40 am I agree in regards that we as a society have chosen fast over confirmed.
I'd rather be freaking out because of something that didn't end up being the case than being headed for the location and not notified that there was a possible active shooter situation. A person would have to be actively following the Dallas Police department to be aware of what they posted for it to cause them concern. Frankly, if you're following your local police department on social media then odds are you're always worrying over something.
Good points!

I heard what I thought were gunshots two nights ago. Often there are some "unsavory" characters who hang out at the W Hotel down the street and on a rare (but multiple) occasion/s people on Lake Shore Drive decide to shoot at each other - so it didn't shock me.
Several sources on "social media" reported they were gunshots. No one could or could not confirm it. We may never know.
I'm assuming nothing and hoping they were simply fireworks - or perhaps a "mentally disturbed" person banging a skateboard on the sidewalk.
Deleted User 880

At least 7 people were shot in a "shooting" on the south side of Chicago early this morning.
Let me guess, I'm the only one on here who knows about it.
You know why? Because it was Black people shooting each other so it's not a "news story".
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MJ23 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:44 am Let me guess, I'm the only one on here who knows about it.
I can't speak for everyone here, but I did not know about it.

But then again, I don't scour the local news looking for crimes committed over night.

I couldn't tell you if anyone has been murdered in Dallas this year. I assume so.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Deleted User 880

Overlander wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:53 am
MJ23 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:44 am Let me guess, I'm the only one on here who knows about it.
I can't speak for everyone here, but I did not know about it.

But then again, I don't scour the local news looking for crimes committed over night.

I couldn't tell you if anyone has been murdered in Dallas this year. I assume so.
My guess is if you were living in a crime infested area you would care more about and be more aware of what is taking place directly around you - but of course my guess could be wrong.
Obviously different people care about different things.
While I am thankfully not living near 89th and Cottage Grove (where the shooting/s took place), the last 48 hours multiple people have been mugged at gunpoint, car jacked, shot, etc. within a mile or two radius of where I live. Supposedly the/a "good area" of Chicago.
I care about my, my mother's, and other's well being. So, while I don't "like" to be aware of what is happening and what has happened, I prefer to be informed.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

I think you have a fixation on all things negative. A need to be upset, mad, scared.

Of course, I am not a professional on the subject, just a casual observer of your posts over the past 10 years.

Try avoiding news for a week...see if you feel differently. I haven't watched a news show in 15 years...and I dont plan to start.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Negativity sells. The news sucks....no matter the platform
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Everything would be fine if not for that damned straw man that has to be destroyed in order to sell pillows.