Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Totally random thread

Post by jhawks99 »

She didn't specify to me. She was talking to other chefs and farmers along the Mississippi.

I do smothered pork chops that people seem to like. It's basically a cajun recipe using a brown roux.

Smothered Pork Chops
I serve over penne pasta, but rice or grits will do just as well.

You want really thick pork loin chops as they will cook for a while.

First, you make a roux.
Heat a heavy dutch oven over medium heat. Add 3 tbls oil ( I use canola, any will do) and 3 tbls flour.
Stir for like 45 minutes. Don't leave it, nothing is worse than burnt roux and you will have to start over.
Don't get it on you. Dey don't call it cajun napalm for nuttin.

When the roux is nice and dark chocolate colored, add the trinity. Diced onion, bell pepper and celery. It's gonna pop and sizzle. Add a little salt. Once the onions start to turn translucent, add 3 or 4 cloves of chopped garlic. Add in some cajun seasoning. I use my own, paprika, granulated onion, granulated garlic, red pepper, white pepper, black pepper, oregano and thyme. Or use one Paul Prudhomme's or Emeril's or whatever. Stir for just a minute, you want to flavor the roux but not burn the garlic and spices. Add chicken stock a little at time and stir until it's the consistency of gravy. Add Worcestershire, and some hot sauce ( I use Tabasco for this). Check for salt. Turn down the heat and let the veggies cook.

While that is cooking, season the pork chops with S&P. Dip in flour and fry in hot oil. You don't want to cook them through, just brown them.

Put them in the sauce, cover and cook at 325 for a while.

Get the pasta, rice or grits read.

To serve, I top with chopped parsley and a sprinkling of Pecorino Romano. It's got enough funk to it to really enhance everything.
Broham
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

So, we’re all going to 99’s this weekend!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Come on down. Everyone has to be nice to each other though.
Broham
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

That sounds way delish!

Might have to try.

I’ve never made a roux, but I do like me some pork chops.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Roux is easy, just flour and fat in equal portions. Just stir. Don't burn it or let it burn you.
Broham
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Oh, I think you can buy it.
Broham
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

99’s recipes are always 🔥🔥. I’ve made a few over the years and have always been very happy with them
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Cool, I didn't think anyone would actually make them.
Broham
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah I wanna try making this roux.

When you say stir for like 45 minutes, don’t leave it, is that like a literal 45 minutes straight of stirring without even breaking long enough to crack another coors?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

You can crack another Coors. If you're quick.
Broham
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Oh man, Buffalo Trace is one of my favorite. When I used to travel internationally almost every other week on United it got to a point where I was getting recognized by the flight attendants. They wouldn’t even wait for me to ask for my after dinner drink- double shot Buffalo Trace, neat.

Need to drop in on 99 and get hooked up on the private tour!! There is a great documentary I saw about bourbon called “Neat”. Excellent watch
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:28 pm I do have some Woodford in the ole cabinet.

I got a private tour of Buffalo Trace a few years ago. A chef from Chicago sent me a friend request on facebook. She said she saw some pics of my food on somebody's page and wanted to friend me. We mostly like each other's pictures for a while, never really communicated other than that.

She sends me a PM out of the blue. Says she has agreed to do an 8 month gig at a private club in New Zealand to cook Southern food. She also says she has no idea how to cook Southern food so she's going to take a month and travel through Memphis, NOLA, and Louisville meeting with other chefs and would I like to meet her at Buffalo Trace.

I said sure and took the afternoon off. We met with their head chemist and a PR lady and talked about bourbon making. They led us upstairs to a private tasting room. There was a big, round table with a lazy Susan with 30 or so bottles of mostly bourbon, but some vodka and white dog too.

Also on the table were three bottles of Pappy. A 12, 18, and 23 year. We tasted a bunch of including several tasting of each of the Pappys. Pretty tasty.

We then go a 2 hour tour from this old black guy who's dad worked there pre-prohibition and then he worked there until he retired. We went through parts the public never gets to see. There's some old, scary buildings in there. Had a great time, bought a big bottle of Eagle Rare to say thanks.

I still share/get likes with her occasionally.

Now that I think about it, I may have posted this before. But I've written too much to delete it so here it is again.
awesomeness...i’m jealous
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Ha! Traddie's 9999th post.
Broham
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

MJ23 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:42 am It's a strange coincidence that my friend Charlotte posted this when last week I was talking to my mother about musicians, actors/actresses, and athletes, who I have met and how some were as cool as could be and some were complete assholes - with very little rhyme or reason for their behavior.

I have heard VERY mixed things about Billy Corgan. I met him once in a grocery store. Just said, "Hey Billy - big fan" and went on my way. He said thank you and that was it. Perfectly cordial encounter.
I have a friend who told me Corgan was an asshole to him for no good reason.
I know a couple of people who hang out with him on occasion and say he is as cool as can be.

You look at the guy in the photograph and if you don't know who he is, you figure he's just some schmuck sitting at a table in a restaurant. The woman is my friend Charlotte and her husband is Matt Walker (fairly well known drummer).

I'm jealous. Always wanted to get a chance to talk to him for a few minutes, but I'm sure it will never happen. Still enjoy his music from the early Pumpkins days. He's also a heck of a guitar player, but rarely reveals it. I've also read that he's a good basketball player. Can't comment about his personality, but his Joe Rogan interview was interesting. It really showed how the record business used to work for bands that were breaking through.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

Never is a very strong word. Go to Madame Zuzu’s and look for him. Chances are you will NOT see him there but that may be your best opportunity. I used to laugh that the house he owned in Lakeview (area of Chicago) was unmistakable. Thus, so many people would hang around outside. Sometimes he would come outside and appease those waiting for the opportunity to see and talk with him.
Now he owns a beautiful home in Highland Park (Chicago suburb) where pretty no one hangs around outside.
As far as his guitar playing, I'm probably the last person who should assess guitar players but to me he's a better guitarist than Iha.
I have zero idea about his basketball prowess.
A not so interesting Corgan fact - He was Courtney Love's boyfriend before Curt Cobain.
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

I'm pretty sure I posted on a different site that the woman in the photo with Corgan basically saved Sinead O'Connor's life. I'll never forget texting her (Charlotte) and asking her if she had heard Sinead "went missing" when she was in the Chicago area. Idiot me didn't realize it was her (Charlotte) house that Sinead had been staying in.
Link to story below.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/mus ... /84440592/

The other day Charlotte posted this.....
Well , this was unexpected ❤️
Sinead’s book is fantastic and what an honor to be her friend. Love the description of my mom ! 🤣
Nope - will never tell the nickname !
book is out today “Rememberings” by Sinead O’Connor

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

So, I hit the Krogers last night after work. Got a 16oz ribeye reduced in price for quick sale.
Might have been a mistake.
Broham
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Opening up the work email in the morning can be a real crapshoot. Sometimes it is akin to taking the lid off a septic tank and sometimes it's like Christmas morning. Today was closer to the latter.

https://www.artsdistrictcenter.com/uxmal-2

This would give me a reason to go to LA and have a couple of beers with copperhead and afterwards we could send vulgar text messages to DC again.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:20 pm So, I hit the Krogers last night after work. Got a 16oz ribeye reduced in price for quick sale.
Might have been a mistake.
A ribeye is never a mistake. Marinade in some black soy sauce, it will kill whatever funk could be on it.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I grilled it over hardwood charcoal with only Himalaya pink salt. Pretty tasty but there have been a couple of "episodes".
Broham