Credit card fraud

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Credit card fraud

Post by ousdahl »

Just got a text that somebody used my card for a $7.99 purchase at Bed Bath and Beyond in Cali, which one of you loosers was it?
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Credit card fraud

Post by pdub »

They had a deal on cool posters.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Black light and everything?

That’s the one thing that might make credit card fraud worthwhile - at bed bath and beyond, at least.

First time it’s happened to me. I always kinda figured it would be for like thousands of dollars at a titty bar or something, but go figure it’s a poster.

I guess I can see how it’s not hard to steal a card number. What I wonder is, is it difficult to track down who got it once they try and use it? The very act of using it creates a trail, right? So if they use it again will it flag as stolen or anything?

But dunno if this is the kinda shit law enforcement actually spends time on. Especially not for $7.99.

What’s kinda wild is, I have to wait 7-10 bidness days to use a card again. I otherwise have to go by the bank and get cash, I guess? (Why can’t banks just issue you a card right then and there?)

Anyone got any other credit card fraud stories?
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Not me! It’s probably a probing purchase to see if the card is good. When my card was compromised one of the times it was a gas station first, then around $1100 at an amusement park in Florida (not Disney or Universal, but I forgot the name). The rep said that they buy passes with stolen cards and then try to sell on eBay for a quarter on the dollar
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

About 10 years ago, someone bought oil paints at an Art Supply Store in Singapore. CC company overnighted new cards.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I got me a couple of jars of brown roux.
Broham
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:00 pm Just got a text that somebody used my card for a $7.99 purchase at Bed Bath and Beyond in Cali, which one of you loosers was it?
Did you lose your card and not call your credit card company or did they use your credit card info?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Nope, didn’t physically loose it.

Just got a text that somebody in CA used it. “If this is fraud reply Y.” I replied Y
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

defixione wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:59 pm About 10 years ago, someone bought oil paints at an Art Supply Store in Singapore. CC company overnighted new cards.
Overnighting is a nice touch.

They offered me the “courtesy” of fedex-ing it so that I could have it in “only” 3-5 bidness days instead for the price of “just” $25 in extra fees.

I guess it’s nice to have the convenience of a card and the security of them letting know suspicious fraudulent activity and stuff.

But still, they expect me to pay to spend my own money?!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

zsn wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:42 pm Not me! It’s probably a probing purchase to see if the card is good. When my card was compromised one of the times it was a gas station first, then around $1100 at an amusement park in Florida (not Disney or Universal, but I forgot the name). The rep said that they buy passes with stolen cards and then try to sell on eBay for a quarter on the dollar
Again, you’d think this kind of activity wouldn’t be difficult to police, with a paper trail involved at every step.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

How does somebody even use it at BB&B? I guess you can just punch in the card number and stuff?

That in itself seems a little fishy. You’d think a big box chain would have some policy to ask for ID or something when the card’s not present, but who knows.

Who eats that $7.99, anyway?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

People who carry a balance on their card.
Broham
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:55 pm How does somebody even use it at BB&B? I guess you can just punch in the card number and stuff?

That in itself seems a little fishy. You’d think a big box chain would have some policy to ask for ID or something when the card’s not present, but who knows.

Was your card used in a store or on line?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess they didn’t say. Just BB&B in CA. We should ask pwhitt.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:04 pm Black light and everything?

That’s the one thing that might make credit card fraud worthwhile - at bed bath and beyond, at least.

First time it’s happened to me. I always kinda figured it would be for like thousands of dollars at a titty bar or something, but go figure it’s a poster.

I guess I can see how it’s not hard to steal a card number. What I wonder is, is it difficult to track down who got it once they try and use it? The very act of using it creates a trail, right? So if they use it again will it flag as stolen or anything?

But dunno if this is the kinda shit law enforcement actually spends time on. Especially not for $7.99.

What’s kinda wild is, I have to wait 7-10 bidness days to use a card again. I otherwise have to go by the bank and get cash, I guess? (Why can’t banks just issue you a card right then and there?)

Credit card or debit card?
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:55 pm How does somebody even use it at BB&B? I guess you can just punch in the card number and stuff?

They can't just punch in the #.

Does your card have a chip?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

They skimmed it to make a clone.

They make small purchases first to see how much is there.

If you go to your bank in person, they'll give you a temporary card until your permanent one arrives.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 880

Post by Deleted User 880 »

Buncha Hardly Boys on here. Anybody getting a clue?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:04 pm Black light and everything?

Who is your credit card issuer? You need a different credit card if their answer was "just wait 7-10 days to use it again.

Most credit card fraud is done via the internet where they dont have to have the physical plastic. A group of professional fraudsters will buy account numbers off the dark web and set up programs to do CVV runs on accounts until they figure out what the three digit code is then once they have that they will do a few small purchases to see if the cardholder or their issuer is paying attention.

As an analyst in the Authorizations & Fraud Prevention department of my bank, the volume of fraud attempted on cards is mind boggling.