Credit card fraud

Coffee talk.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Credit card fraud

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:24 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:20 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:18 pm I am interested to see what happens when contactless cards become more prevalent. If an RFID reader in a terminal can read your card then an RFID reader in a fraudster's pocket standing behind you can read your card. When they start putting contactless readers in gas pumps it will be a total shit show but Big Oil has been the only group big enough to push Visa and MasterCard around so I don't suspect we'll see those on gas pumps for at least 10 more years. They forced Visa and MasterCard to push off EMV chip reading terminal requirements for several years longer than the rest of the merchant world.
??? Are we talking the contactless payment with the NFC tech on the card itself or from a smartphone?

Because the NFC credit card contactless readers have been on gas pumps for at least a couple of years now.
Yes. There's a large difference between "exists" and "is required by Visa". Being required means that every single gas pump in American that accepts credit cards as a form of payment would be required to process these transactions. We are 2-3 years into the technology existing in the field and the last I read, less than 1% of gas pumps that accept payments have NFC readers on them. It will take billions of dollars to upgrade the other 99%.
I didn't see anything in your original post about "required by Visa?"

I have no idea on the 1% number at gas pumps, but I see it a lot, especially at newer stations. And, Costco and Sam's Club now have it at all their pumps, including Apple Pay support.

As far the 2-3 years in the field, that may be true here, but it is at least a decade old in parts of Asia and Europe where Visa is very prevalent.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:18 pm I only use Chase or Amex credit for purchases and it teems like at many places there is some kind of magic $25 threshold for requiring a signature.

It is still wild to me that in 2021 there is possibly retailers out there that will allow a customer to read off a paper or from memory a 16 digit number and then expiration date and not ask to see the actual card or any identification. Guessing there is some kind of mess for the retailer if the transaction gets later disputed.
No mess at all, that retailer would be 100% responsible for any fraud on that transaction guaranteed. Good luck fighting an issuer by saying "we key entered card information read to us off a piece of paper". That merchant would have zero case to avoid eating that fraud. It's a way to service your customer if you are OK with the risk, I suppose.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Costco gas pumps are all equipped with contactless Visa card readers, at least the ones I have visited in NorCal (about 6-7).
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:14 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:06 pm
ousdahl wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 6:55 pm How does somebody even use it at BB&B? I guess you can just punch in the card number and stuff?

That in itself seems a little fishy. You’d think a big box chain would have some policy to ask for ID or something when the card’s not present, but who knows.

Who eats that $7.99, anyway?
They can't just punch in the #.

Does your card have a chip?
Yes they can. It's called the internet. People type in their card numbers to buy stuff all the time, including at Bed, Bath & Beyond.
I think we are discussing an in store purchase, but i could be wrong.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:52 pm
twocoach wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:14 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:06 pm

They can't just punch in the #.

Does your card have a chip?
Yes they can. It's called the internet. People type in their card numbers to buy stuff all the time, including at Bed, Bath & Beyond.
I think we are discussing an in store purchase, but i could be wrong.
You can do a manual key entry of a card at any merchant but very few do it if they have a functioning terminal because of the assumption of fraud liability. If you have the ability to read the chip on the card but process it in a manner where the chip is not read then you assume the fraud liability.

The vast majority of manual entry transactions are mail order, telephone order, internet and recurring transactions such as netflix.com.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:18 pm It is still wild to me that in 2021 there is possibly retailers out there that will allow a customer to read off a paper or from memory a 16 digit number and then expiration date and not ask to see the actual card or any identification. Guessing there is some kind of mess for the retailer if the transaction gets later disputed.
I would guess the # that allow it is very very small.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

This actually happened to me at the paint store not that long ago. I forgot my wallet at home as I ran out. They did not have the capability to pay with my phone. I recited my 16-digit from memory, and related data.

It helped that the lady working there knew me from previous visits to the store
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:10 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:18 pm It is still wild to me that in 2021 there is possibly retailers out there that will allow a customer to read off a paper or from memory a 16 digit number and then expiration date and not ask to see the actual card or any identification. Guessing there is some kind of mess for the retailer if the transaction gets later disputed.
I was thinking small towns. 1 grocery store and everyone knows everyone else. Mom needs a half gallon of milk and doesn't trust the kid to not lose her card.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

My card got skimmed in Key West several years back.

The perp bought a dozen DVDs that got delivered to a Texas address.

I contacted the Houston area FBI with thst info, because my checking account was rubbed of $8,900 in 3 days through Texas and La ATMs.

Funny, my daily limit on ATM withdrawals was $1,500.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Overlander wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:51 pm My card got skimmed in Key West several years back.

The perp bought a dozen DVDs that got delivered to a Texas address.

I contacted the Houston area FBI with thst info, because my checking account was rubbed of $8,900 in 3 days through Texas and La ATMs.

Funny, my daily limit on ATM withdrawals was $1,500.
Your bank did you a solid. They knew you were strapped for cash when you kept withdrawing it all over the country at the same time. Marvel Universe Bank.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Good folks, for sure.
But, they did restock my account in 24 hours!
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:08 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:10 pm
I was thinking small towns. 1 grocery store and everyone knows everyone else. Mom needs a half gallon of milk and doesn't trust the kid to not lose her card.
My daughter just got her oil changed today and the repair shop called me for payment. I read it to them over the phone and they key entered it.