The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by TDub »

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:23 pm For sure.
Your plan seems the way to go.
You could always bear bag ( tie it, loop a limb, hoist bag ) some stuff too.
But the canoe deal sounds somewhat sound...until you wake up and your canoe is tipped.
Cooler should still float as long as its tied close. I dont have a fancy locking cooler like a Yeti or grizzly or whatever but rope and a truckers knot works fine.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dont loose yer paddles tho.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Ousie is gonna be bear breakfast.
Broham
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I sure hope the bears perfectly portion ousies body parts to all the other bears and not one bear gets everything.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

speaking of bears, how about the beach-going mother and cubs at Lake Tahoe?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Why the eff would you guys say that?!

But for real I’m tempted to make some joke about how it’s not the first time a bear has tried to wine me and dine me.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:23 pm Why the eff would you guys say that?!

But for real I’m tempted to make some joke about how it’s not the first time a bear has tried to wine me and dine me.
Dude, it was just a couple of Manhattan's.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Trad couldve mentioned there was a new season of Alone out.....

I foubd out last night.....tried to watch it...and our streaming service cut the history channel at midnight apparently because its gone now. Dammit. When its 110 is about the only time i actually enjoy watching tv
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:47 pm Trad couldve mentioned there was a new season of Alone out.....

I foubd out last night.....tried to watch it...and our streaming service cut the history channel at midnight apparently because its gone now. Dammit. When its 110 is about the only time i actually enjoy watching tv
sorry lol

it’s good. there’s a native guy that’s killing it so far, but i think my favorite is a woman that’s originally from either wyoming or idaho, but now lives in the UK

her shelter is a new design for the series, and is awesome

hope that’s not too much of a spoiler
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:53 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:47 pm Trad couldve mentioned there was a new season of Alone out.....

sorry lol

it’s good. there’s a native guy that’s killing it so far, but i think my favorite is a woman that’s originally from either wyoming or idaho, but now lives in the UK

I got find a way to watch it. Pne of the few tv series that i think is fun.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:55 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:53 pm

sorry lol

I got find a way to watch it. Pne of the few tv series that i think is fun.
and educational!
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Deleted User 89

wolverine sighting just north of SLC

something like only the 6th sighting since the 70s
Deleted User 89

https://nathab.com/blog/people-and-wild ... od-health/

we should all be granolas and tree-huggers...it’d serve us well
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

canoe camping this weekend!

Am I silly for thinking it’ll still be fun even without a fire?
Deleted User 89

Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:30 am canoe camping this weekend!

Am I silly for thinking it’ll still be fun even without a fire?
it’ll be fun, just not as much

edit: my recent weekend jaunt into the Uintas was without campfire and was still head and shoulders better than being in town
Last edited by Deleted User 89 on Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Thanks, yea I think so too.

I think it’ll be more early to bed, early to rise. Make the most of the daylight, then instead of sitting around a fire all night, just go to bed.

But I’m kinda disappointed in how many friends are all BUT MAH RIGHTS about it. As if the fire ban doesn’t apply to them. What if every last one of yall had that attitude?

Especially considering these are homies who lived through the fires last summer, you’d think they’d be a little more aware. Do you *really* wanna be those guys?

And, I mean come on, it’s a fucking campfire. We’ve all been around them. I don’t think there’s really that much novelty to it.

The particularly ironic thing is one guy who is reluctant not just cuz of no fires, but also cuz he always stays up too late when camping and never gets enough sleep. Well pal, maybe if you don’t stay up by a fire all night, you’ll sleep better?

This is coincidentally the same guy who didn’t wanna camp last spring even when I pitched it as, let’s get in a fire before they ban them this summer. He thought he’d be too cold. Well pal, whaddya think the fire is for?
Deleted User 89

hahaha...was actually gonna comment on the getting more sleep part

that, and the lack of irritated eyes and clothes that smell of smoke are really the only differences

well, actually there is a notable difference in the taste of food cooked over a campfire versus a gas camp stove, but for me at least it’s not enough to either tempt fate or not go
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah.

I have a camp stove.

And even if I didn’t, I suggested just eating sammiches and granola bars and easy stuff for a couple days. I got promptly shot down.

Again, what’s the big deal you guys? I’m trying to fish and canoe and drink about 45 beers a day. How is that not fun enough? For this couple days, food is more ancillary to me, and about little more than the utility of eating.

If you’re really that worried about gourmet meals, why bother camping? Just stay in town with the rest of the buttacream gang.