What music does everyone listen to?

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: What music does everyone listen to?

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and the more I think about it, the more I might just take my chances with a Texan, cuz Oklahomans are even worse.

Even bigger, louder, ruder, assholer than Texans. It’s like they have this inferiority complex trying to be like Texas even though they’re just the butthole of Kansas, so they make up for it by trying to out-obnoxious everyone else.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

TDub wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:24 pm

How can ya not like this song. Maybe its just nostalgia, but it makes me happy, it played a lot in my house when i was a kid. Simpler times
I've loosened my load so many times it's time for me to

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Ive got a little small soft spot for Oklahoma just because i still have family there and though my immediate family was all born in Kansas, my extended family is about 3/4 Oklahoma born, with a couple Texan borns in there. My Grandfather was going to OU to be a punter/back up RB before he got called to WWII.

Music wise John Morelands not bad, Zach Bryan is....not terrible either.... hes a little cheesy but has a few good songs.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so the Dylan songbook is yuge. and full of all these bootlegs and one-offs and rarities and whatnot. some of them don't even suck.

and when he went electric, his first tour was a first set of familiar folky acoustic songs, then the second set was electric. Apparently people came cuz they liked the first set, then booed the entire second set. The folk community was pissed. This star hero good keed pure folk amateur sold his NIL to rock and roll.

The boos gotta be weird for any kind of live performer. The musical equivalent of AIRRRR BALLL except you didn't miss a shot. Dylan in his Dylan way asked, "how do the tickets keep selling so fast?"

For most of the tour, the first song of the second set was Tell Me Mamma, this electric folk kinda jam that doesn't really exist elsewhere in the Dylanverse. No albums or B-sides or surprise reprises at some live show years later. The only time you hear it is the first song of the second set of that tour that everybody booed.

also pretty sure I remember some VH1 Behind The Music kinda clip of Henry Rollins describing his first live Led Zeppelin show and how they opened with Kashmir and the whole experience was like some giant asshole getting up and clinching fists and punching him in the face behind QT.

I say pretty sure because I'm only like 80% sure it was Zeppelin he was talking about. He might have been talking about Sabbath. But for sure Henry Rollins. Pretty sure he even illustrates with a theatrical clinch of the fist, like Bruce Pearl but if Bruce Pearl was cool.

but that sort of experience - just having your world fucking ROCKED whether you were ready for it or not.

To again parallel hoops, my first game in AFH, 2005 against Pacific, some snoozer noncon but I didn't know was a snoozer cuz I didn't pay attention to hoops yet. I just went cuz this chick from the dorms invited me, said her camping group got good seats and everything.

So I'm just chillin in the student section in a good spot right behind the hoop chatting her up about fingerblasting and whatnot when Miles throws an oop to Simien. I remember thinking, holy shit this place gets loud!

Anywho so where were we? oh yeah, fingerblasting...

oh! and Tell Me Mamma. It's something like that moment too, right? But unlike AFH or Rollins it's a bunch of folk pussies. So I suppose less awe, and more audacity, or something. Especially if media wasn't so instantaneous yet, and you hadn't even heard your folk hero play electric cuz you don't listen to the rock radio station and refuse to buy his new album.

trying to put the song in context, and listen to it in that time and place.

and just found this vid! Wanna confirm that drummer, but pretty sure the rest of the band is The Band, with a dreamboat young Robbie Robertson on guitar. and is it just me or does young Bob look just like Adam Sandler?

bonus points for the serviceably fingerblastable Brit chicks who wanna punch him in the face.

Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Did any of you ever watch the documentary about T Bone Burnett getting Dylans unused basement tapes songs and gathering a bunch of amazing musicians to create their own songs using those lyrics?

REALLY good movie, with amazing music!
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Overlander wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:51 pm
Mjl wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:44 pm Phish concerts are amazing. Can't imagine them sober though. High you never want the jamming to stop, if you're sober it's just too long.

Speaking of concerts you need to be high at, just went to the box office to buy tickets for King Crimson and Frank Zappa together. That should be good.
Touring with a dead guy?
Thats kinda creepy
Ohhh, would ya look at that, Frank Zappa died a long time ago. I guess it's The Zappa Band, whatever that is.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

got turned on to this guy after watching Big Little Lies
shindig

Post by shindig »

Overlander wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:27 am Did any of you ever watch the documentary about T Bone Burnett getting Dylans unused basement tapes songs and gathering a bunch of amazing musicians to create their own songs using those lyrics?

REALLY good movie, with amazing music!
That looks good, might have to check it out this weekend.
shindig

Post by shindig »

So, I dug out my iPod (special edition U2) and charged it up and it's making some clicking noise through every song. I don't know why. Any ideas? I was planning to use it to jog on my treadmill because I have a ton of songs and playlists on it, but no back up computer for it. Kind of ticked, I've had this thing for 15 years or so.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

you sure it’s the ipod and not the headphones/speakers?
shindig

Post by shindig »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:25 pm you sure it’s the ipod and not the headphones/speakers?
the headphones work fine on my iphone. I dug out my old, old personal laptop and trying to sync it to itunes and see if that works.
shindig

Post by shindig »

My old Dell is so outdated, I can't upload anything new to it and the McAfee is expired....dag gummit. But it does pull up itunes with all my songs. Nothings ever easy.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

I somehow completely deleted my iTunes library. Can a forensic tech find it? A guess on the cost to do something like this? I had about 5,ooo songs on it . . .
shindig

Post by shindig »

defixione wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:14 pm I somehow completely deleted my iTunes library. Can a forensic tech find it? A guess on the cost to do something like this? I had about 5,ooo songs on it . . .
Are they on an old ipod? If you have them saved somewhere else (i.e. iPod or iPhone or back up drive), you can use a software to reverse load.
shindig

Post by shindig »

shindig wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:35 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:25 pm you sure it’s the ipod and not the headphones/speakers?
the headphones work fine on my iphone. I dug out my old, old personal laptop and trying to sync it to itunes and see if that works.
I think my iPod jack is jacked up. oh well. I don't know enough about these to try and fix myself or try to take it apart and solder a new one in.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

shindig wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:34 pm
defixione wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:14 pm I somehow completely deleted my iTunes library. Can a forensic tech find it? A guess on the cost to do something like this? I had about 5,ooo songs on it . . .
Are they on an old ipod? If you have them saved somewhere else (i.e. iPod or iPhone or back up drive), you can use a software to reverse load.
They're all on a newish touch screen iPod. What software do I need?
shindig

Post by shindig »

defixione wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:40 pm
shindig wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:34 pm
They're all on a newish touch screen iPod. What software do I need?
There are probably some guys on here that know more, but years ago, my hard drive on my laptop crashed so I bought a new one and used a software called "iPod to Computer Transfer Pro" that was maybe $20. There might be one for iPad to Computer Transfer? I haven't googled it, but it might be worth a shot. But maybe others will chime in. It worked for me. It took all the songs and playlists off my iPod and re-installed on my PC in iTunes.

Edit, oh I thought you meant a newish iPad...google iPod to Computer Transfer Pro and see if that works.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Thanks for that. It appears that all I have to do is drag and drop the files from the iPod onto the hard drive of my desktop computer. I'm still curious if my old library is still salvageable from the dos netherlands of my hard drive.
shindig

Post by shindig »

defixione wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:24 pm Thanks for that. It appears that all I have to do is drag and drop the files from the iPod onto the hard drive of my desktop computer. I'm still curious if my old library is still salvageable from the dos netherlands of my hard drive.
Yeah it looks a lot easier now with the newer versions (after Bluetooth). I didn't realize Apple still made iPods.

My biggest gripe with Apple is why can't they put a USB port on their products besides their MacBook? I should be able to take my iPod (even though it's not Bluetooth) and sync it with my iPhone and IPad (which are Bluetooth). But all my itune songs are on my old IPod. I'm sure there are ways around it, I just don't want to spend my evening getting frustrated over stuff that ends up not working.
Last edited by shindig on Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.